Zoanthid questions

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What zoanthids have palytoxin and which ones don't? Also do zoanthids grow over other zoanthids, like can I have multiple colors next to each other peacefully? Finally, are there any other soft corals that won't conpete for space with them that will create a peaceful reeftank that will not require fragging because the corals won't grow over each other?

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of them have palytoxin, but at varied levels. They can be grown next to each other, but the faster growers will usually overtake the slower ones. You can prune them back to keep them from overtaking their neighbors.

Zoas aren't aggressive and will get along with most other non-aggressive corals.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of them have palytoxin, but at varied levels. They can be grown next to each other, but the faster growers will usually overtake the slower ones. You can prune them back to keep them from overtaking their neighbors.

Zoas aren't aggressive and will get along with most other non-aggressive corals.
Hello, Hoe does one "prune back" ?

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any fragging technique works or you can kill them (which I don’t recommend). Usually you can just separate a polyp and pop it off the rock with a screw driver.

Capitol Reef Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Hoe does one "prune back" ?
I usually like to use a razor blade and cut the flesh that connects the polyps together. Then use the sharp corner of the razor blade to scrape upderneath the polyp and get some rock along with it. I usually get about a 90% success rate when I do this (ie. I can glue the zoa down and it survives). You can definitely do it!

Back to the original post.
I would just stay away from ugly and "trash" looking zoas. The pretty ones with names and the ones people buy the most usually contain the least amount of toxins. I also would not worry too much about them as long as you take the right precautions. Most zoas do extremely well together, it is usually the large palys that can shadow and overtake the smaller zoas. Separate them enough and I don't think this will be a big issue. Zoas will get along with pretty much every other type of coral so don't worry about that either.

Good luck!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back