Zoanthid warfare

Stalaly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have a small Zoanthid garden (5") with several misc varieties. The polyps on some of the prettier ones are being covered or pushed aside by, frankly, more boring polyps. Can I just snip an offending polyp away or is there a way to "manicure" this garden?
Image-1.jpg

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoathids, palys, and other corals carry toxic fluids produced from a particular species of dinoflagellates. If you cut anything, wear gloves, eye protection, and do it in a place where no person or animal can come in contact with the surface you work on. Also be aware, sometimes when you agitate polyps, they will secrete more fluid, more slime, and thus distribute the dinoflagellates around the tank and that could potentially kill off other corals.
These are not the same dinoflagellates that produce brown algae strings in tank and they are not the same dinoflagellates that have a symbiotic relationship with coral causing them to fluoresce.

OP
OP
Stalaly

Stalaly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. But aside from the risks and/or side effects, is that the solution to my issue?

BayouReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen where people will use a little Kalk paste on the polyps they want to keep at bay.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back