zoanthids not opening

Alex’s Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I have a 23 gallon frag tank with 1 Kessil A360x tuna blue and 1 Kessil 160we tuna blue, a Nero 3 pump with a sicce whale canister. I am dosing .9ml of RedSea’s No3Po4x a day as well as vibrant every two weeks. I bought 4 zoanthid frags from my LFS and dipped them all in freshwater iodine solution and ever since I got them they are not opening up. I noticed on some of them there’s a thin white slime coat and one of the small zoanthids there’s some stringy white stuff over the polyps. Can someone identify what’s going on? Maybe this is an effect of the no3po4x? The water I used to mix my salt in is from my LFS and the RO water’s tds is coming out as 3. In the frag tank I got it out of the tds is 0. Is that too big of a difference to keep coral from my LFS frag tanks?

B91DC375-24B5-43C9-97C6-72760538FF92.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters? Seems like you have issues already if dosing nopox and vibrant.

OP
OP
Alex’s Reef

Alex’s Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parameters are close to 0 in both nitrate and phosphate. I dose vibrant to never have algae take hold and the same with no3po4x. There’s no fish in there

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parameters are close to 0 in both nitrate and phosphate. I dose vibrant to never have algae take hold and the same with no3po4x. There’s no fish in there
This doesn't help. Need actual full parameters. Nitrate, phosphate, alkalinity, at minimum

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright sure, one sec let me test
The other thought I had was the lighting. What schedule and intensity are you running them? Both of those seem like a lot for a small tank. I use 2 360 tuna blue on my 90 gal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
having them bottomed out probably isn’t helping and may lead to dinos which is probably worse than any algae. I don’t know much about vibrant but I can’t imagine it’s a good long term solution to algae and may even have an opposite effect when you stop dosing. I would think it’s better to not be doing that and to get your nutrient levels under control naturally coupled with the proper clean up crew to keep algae under control.

OP
OP
Alex’s Reef

Alex’s Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other thought I had was the lighting. What schedule and intensity are you running them? Both of those seem like a lot for a small tank. I use 2 360 tuna blue on my 90 gal
I have the lights on acclimation mode right now but I had them on all blue and 65% intensity before.
my parameters are as follows:
dKH: 10.4
Nitrates: 0
Phosphates: .01
pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Mg: 1350
Ca: 430

OP
OP
Alex’s Reef

Alex’s Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
having them bottomed out probably isn’t helping and may lead to dinos which is probably worse than any algae. I don’t know much about vibrant but I can’t imagine it’s a good long term solution to algae and may even have an opposite effect when you stop dosing. I would think it’s better to not be doing that and to get your nutrient levels under control naturally coupled with the proper clean up crew to keep algae under control.
I didn’t want a sandy bottom for the nutrient sink reasons but I do have some sand in there, you just can’t see in the photo

OP
OP
Alex’s Reef

Alex’s Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t want a sandy bottom for the nutrient sink reasons but I do have some sand in there, you just can’t see in the photo
I’ve only dosed vibrant twice so far so I can stop, I might even stop the no3po4x dosing to see if that helps, I just don’t know at this point but I’m about to dip the Zoanthids in revive to see if that helps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant having your nutrients bottomed out as in zero. Don’t think your substrate choice is going to affect anything directly here.

OP
OP
Alex’s Reef

Alex’s Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant having your nutrients bottomed out as in zero. Don’t think your substrate choice is going to affect anything directly here.
Oh okay lol, that wasn’t really clear but it’s all good

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only dosed vibrant twice so far so I can stop, I might even stop the no3po4x dosing to see if that helps, I just don’t know at this point but I’m about to dip the Zoanthids in revive to see if that helps
Before doing anything I would wait for some more knowledgeable people to chime in. To low or zero nutrients is bad news for zoas though.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the lights on acclimation mode right now but I had them on all blue and 65% intensity before.
my parameters are as follows:
dKH: 10.4
Nitrates: 0
Phosphates: .01
pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Mg: 1350
Ca: 430
Stop dosing nopox and vibrant. Probably skip a water change also. You want your nitrate around 5

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hold off on the dosing. Light is my next thought. I had some finicky zoas and had to turn my lights down a ton and they slowly opened up. Then gradually turned them back up. We’re they open at all before? Potential for pests as well.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 157 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back