Zoanthids troubles

Whysosalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I have a tricky situation on my hands. I just put an algae reactor in my sump and I had it running 24/7 for the last 4 days. Then I noticed my zoanthids were losing heir color. Is there anyway that could be attributed to the reactor taking it too many nutrients?

OP
OP
Whysosalty

Whysosalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s only certain zoas like my rastas and purple hornets that are losing color. How would I go about restoring their beautiful color

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I have a tricky situation on my hands. I just put an algae reactor in my sump and I had it running 24/7 for the last 4 days. Then I noticed my zoanthids were losing heir color. Is there anyway that could be attributed to the reactor taking it too many nutrients?
It’s only certain zoas like my rastas and purple hornets that are losing color. How would I go about restoring their beautiful color

Can you tell us a little more about what algae is in the reactor and what size? A picture would be helpful.

How long have you had the zoanthids in question?

Also what size tank, a brief description of equipment, and do you have any recent water tests you can share (alk, calc, salinity, temp, nitrates, and phosphates would help immensely in assisting you?

Purely speculating, if you had lower nitrates to begin with and added a macro algae, you could have bottomed out the nitrate. However, I'd rather see tests confirm a theory before you change anything [emoji4].

#reefsquad

OP
OP
Whysosalty

Whysosalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running chaeto and red graci, as well as dragons breathe in the reactor, nitrates test zero-and nitrite test 0, ammonia 0, Phosphates are also very low. I have a 60 gallon cube with a bubble magnus curve 5 in my 10 gallon sump. I’ve had the zoas in my 180 gallon tank for more than 6 months, I recently transferred them over a few weeks ago. Hope that helps

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @ihavecrabs soft corals tend to like a little dirty water, and if you noticed the change after doing the algae reactor, my first guess would be that is what they are reacting to.

OP
OP
Whysosalty

Whysosalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So besides cutting back on the reactor, what else do you suggest I do if anything?

OP
OP
Whysosalty

Whysosalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just cut back on the reactor, see if that helps. and go from there :)
#crabs_mcjones Legit I think you’ve commented on every one of my posts. Like I think you’ve helped me with like every problem I’ve had lol. You’re basically my life line at this point. So for that I am indelibly grateful!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#crabs_mcjones Legit I think you’ve commented on every one of my posts. Like I think you’ve helped me with like every problem I’ve had lol. You’re basically my life line at this point. So for that I am indelibly grateful!
No problem! :) That's what were all here for :)

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If cutting back on the reactor doesn't provide the desired effect, you could also dose sodium nitrate or potassium nitrate to increase your nitrate.

For a softy tank is suggest a minimum range of 2-5ppm.

OP
OP
Whysosalty

Whysosalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will do that. I will cut back the hour schedule to 10-12 hours and then after a couple days of it doesn’t get better I’ll dose

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Whysosalty

Whysosalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will do that. I will cut back the hour schedule to 10-12 hours and then after a couple days of it doesn’t get better I’ll dose

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also try target feeding a fine zooplankton.
So I had a frag of zoas that were just not doing well, they would dome up and a polyp would melt. What it turned out for me was too low nutrient with higher intensity lights may have caused a bit of a bacterial infection. I iodine dipped them , moved to shaded area, and started target feeding with reef roids. They have stablized. No new growth but nothing melting anymore. Polyps are starting to look better. In my experience with any coral, if it is willing to eat it will typically be okay.

OP
OP
Whysosalty

Whysosalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hallucination frag of two polyps that is kind of half opening up as well. I think as they have said, too low nutrients. I feed reef roids twice a week

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back