Zoas and RFA closed for a month

Cheezehead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Just curious about why for last month my fire and ice zoa's and rfas have been closed. Most of my other corals are fine.

I started my tank back up after i moved about 2 years ago. I placed my zoas and rfa in tank about a year ago. They have been doing well til last month. My parameters seem normal and stable. Now about a month ago, I had to change my return pump and that is when these corals started going south. My new pump has a little more flow then my last pump. Can a small change in flow cause these problems? I read about foreign voltage in a tank and thought maybe my new return pump might cause some voltage issues in my tank, even with a grounding probe. But i wasnt able to detect any foreign voltage. In my mind it has to be something with new pump. Also i noticed my white sand is starting to get a little red film next day after i clean the tank each night. Its nothing normal that i havent seen before on my last tank but it started happening last month also. I measure most parameters every other day. I also do a 10 percent water change every Saturday. I use reef energy A and B and occasionally use Reef Chilli for my corals.

Here are some of my parameters measured today.

salinity 35 ppm
temp 77.6
calcium 430
alkalinity 8.5
magnesium 1330
phosphates .01
nitrate 2 ppm
ammonia 0

My test kits are red sea except for alkalinity. For that i use Hanna.

Any ideas? My fire and Ice zoas were really pretty and spreading and would like to get them back to looking nice.

Thanks,

Paul

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Po4 is lower than I like to see, has it always been that low? You mentioned a ground probe, are you also using a gfci outlet? Did you test voltage with a voltmeter?

OP
OP
C

Cheezehead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello yes my Po4 have always run that low. I am adding NeoPHos a little bit at a time to try to raise that level to around .02. I have heard when its low this could cause zoa's from closing. I will add some more on my water change tomorrow and see if i can raise it some more.

Yes i have the ground probe in a GFCI outlet. I used a voltmeter to detect for voltage. I didnt think a voltmeter work work for this but saw a bunch of videos using one so i gave it a go. It didnt detect anything.

I use a Bulk Reef 5 stage RODI system. The preinstalled TDS meter shows zero on output, the input usually runs around 140. I assume the TDS meter works okay. It seems to always read zero on output and i have a schedule when to change all the filters. Shoud i get a seperate TDS meter?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back