Zoas dying

Thade_hicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a rasta from someone that grabbed an extra frag. They had dipped it and then brought it to me. It looked amazing for about a week, then open heads started to detach and the whole thing was dead and melted completely off the plug in 3 days. I now have a second one that the heads are closing on and starting to fall off. Any ideas what I should check for or anything I should do? I have dozens of Zoa frags in the tank and really don't want to lose more

Rijodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depending on your budget depends what tests you can/will get.
api is bare bones and will get you in ball park,
redsea marine care kita nd foundation pro is a good step up from those thant contain most the tests you need
salifert tests are good and cheap
most hannas are super easy and accurate but pricey
multiple companies have a tester that can test many things ie hanna, idip, and i think theres a few others
miluawkee has best salinity checker IMO

Rijodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but with nearly any question you ask here for health of your tank people will ask for your chem stats so youll need something for poeople to go off to help you

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Zoas are hard to kill man. Are they looking bad too? Most important things IMO -

Salinity - do you have a refractometer? If you don't, run to the LFS and grab one. If you have one, has it been calibrated? If it hasn't, get you some fluid, or if you're at the LFS you can calibrate off their coral system.

Alkalinity - i like Hanna, but grab whatever brand your LFS has. Stay away from API but if that's all you got, then grab it.

Temp - get a food thermometer from the grocery store - like $12 if you don't already have one.

Report out on these things and post a couple pics of your tank, so we can get you some help.

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also if money is issue, run with a sample of your water to Petco, and have them test your water, you will get a good enough results for what you looking for.

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really have any good test kits that's why I'm asking where I should start looking.
What do you have? Even API is better than nothing. Zoas want nutrients so higher than avg nitrate and to a less extent PO4 is a good thing for zoas.

Or take a sample of water to your lfs and get tested.

At minimum id grab tests for ph, salt, nitrate, phosphate and a measure on temp. You are going to want KH, magnesium, and calcium as well if you are starting out with putting more corals in.

OP
OP
Thade_hicks

Thade_hicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have? Even API is better than nothing. Zoas want nutrients so higher than avg nitrate and to a less extent PO4 is a good thing for zoas.

At minimum id grab tests for ph, salt, nitrate, phosphate and a measure on temp. You are going to want KH, magnesium, and calcium as well if you are starting out with putting more corals in.
I work at my lfs and all we have is api. And that's what I've got at home too. Honestly had this tank 9 months and I have it slammed full of coral. I have euphylia splitting and all sorts

OP
OP
Thade_hicks

Thade_hicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

16801421443703872496786651436654.jpg

OP
OP
Thade_hicks

Thade_hicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also if money is issue, run with a sample of your water to Petco, and have them test your water, you will get a good enough results for what you looking for.
Closest PetCo to me is 1.5 hours lol

OP
OP
Thade_hicks

Thade_hicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas are hard to kill man. Are they looking bad too? Most important things IMO -

Salinity - do you have a refractometer? If you don't, run to the LFS and grab one. If you have one, has it been calibrated? If it hasn't, get you some fluid, or if you're at the LFS you can calibrate off their coral system.

Alkalinity - i like Hanna, but grab whatever brand your LFS has. Stay away from API but if that's all you got, then grab it.

Temp - get a food thermometer from the grocery store - like $12 if you don't already have one.

Report out on these things and post a couple pics of your tank, so we can get you some help.
My lfs doesn't sell much of any saltwater supplies and honestly I don't think they look bad at all.

Attachments

• 20230321_222721.jpg
    20230321_222721.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 20230321_222639.jpg
    20230321_222639.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 28

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh ok, I'm my head i was thinking brand new tank. When you said Rasta i was thinking torch, but was it a Rasta zoa?

Either way, get some test kits mang. You're keeping corals and fish, but mostly your maintaining water. Got to be able to know your parameters (at least the basics) in order to do this properly.

OP
OP
Thade_hicks

Thade_hicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok, I'm my head i was thinking brand new tank. When you said Rasta i was thinking torch, but was it a Rasta zoa?

Either way, get some test kits mang. You're keeping corals and fish, but mostly your maintaining water. Got to be able to know your parameters (at least the basics) in order to do this properly.
I have api, they suck though. But can get an idea on the basics.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back