Zoas not opening.

Miamialum620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been battling a green hair problem in my 32g Biocube for a few weeks now and gave my tank a dose of FluxRX. I figured it was the algae brushing up against the zoas which was causing them to close but I don't know if the zoas are having a reaction to the FluxRX. I also relocated them and they're still not opening. On some of the pictures you'll see some green around the closed heads that I believe could be the problem but am not sure how to combat it. Yesterday I bought some Vibrant and added a very small amount (3 caps) to see if that will address the algae. I've also reduced the amount of hours the lights are running from 12 to 8 and closed the curtains where a lot of sun was hitting the tank. I included some pictures of the healthy zoas and some in relatively the same location which should eliminate lighting (using a AI Prime HD). I just performed a water test and the parameters were:

Temp: 82
PH: 7.8
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
Phosphate: 0
Ammonia: 0
Calcium: 430
Alkalinity: 8.5

I'm not really sure what else I can do.
IMG_3049.jpeg
IMG_3046.jpeg
IMG_3048.jpeg

IMG_3045.jpeg
IMG_3047.jpeg

IMG_3044.jpeg
IMG_3043.jpeg
IMG_3049.jpeg

SonyaBAZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the Zoa plug move? If so a quick 2 minute dip in over the counter 3% hydrogen peroxide will kill the hair algae. I do a 1:10 ratio of peroxide to tank water. Usually you will see bubbles starting to form on the zoas. After two minutes rinse in clean tank water and put back in the same spot. The zoas will probably still stay closed for another day or two. Usually the hair algae dies off and then they open. It’s a quick fix for a plug but you will have to address the hair algae with some other methods like turbo snails or reducing feedings in your tank overall. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
Miamialum620

Miamialum620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll give it a try. A few weeks ago I did a peroxide dip for the first time and did straight peroxide with no dilution. 2 of my other corals are still recovering from that.

OP
OP
Miamialum620

Miamialum620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the Zoa plug move? If so a quick 2 minute dip in over the counter 3% hydrogen peroxide will kill the hair algae. I do a 1:10 ratio of peroxide to tank water. Usually you will see bubbles starting to form on the zoas. After two minutes rinse in clean tank water and put back in the same spot. The zoas will probably still stay closed for another day or two. Usually the hair algae dies off and then they open. It’s a quick fix for a plug but you will have to address the hair algae with some other methods like turbo snails or reducing feedings in your tank overall. Hope that helps.
I barely have any frags glued down. I guess I have coral placement anxiety

SonyaBAZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the hydrogen peroxide doesn’t work, any other suggestions?
So I have re-dipped frags in peroxide multiple times but never more than once a week. If the 1:10 isn’t strong enough you can do stronger but time is way more crucial then. Also as the other member said pure peroxide can be way too intense for some corals. You can also manually remove the hair algae with tweezers. Pretty sure Mexican turbo snails eat hair algae.

mistuhm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the GHA is causing your zoa to not open, the peroxide dip should really do the trick. The GHA will die off in a few days as you'll see then open back up. If they don't open back up again, there it might be something else.

OP
OP
Miamialum620

Miamialum620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some of the zoas moved away from the green hair and there still seems like something is keeping them from opening. A few of them have this green ring at the top (right polyp that’s closed). Any idea what that can be?
1596326588252.jpeg

Back