OP
E

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the two that I am mostly worried about (top left and left of the light reflection in the first post) don't just have short skirts, the skirts are folded inwards like when the zoa closes up, they just don't close up completely, the central disk is still visible. And again, in the other tank, they are wide open.

Regarding flow, it's a 12 liter tank with a small hangon and a dennerle bio circulator. I shut the circulator pump off, I think I tried that on the past, but who knows, maybe it works now

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, sorry about your zoas!

First off, I don’t think it’s your salt either. I do think that you might have been making too many changes at once to be able to really figure out what it is. Make changes slowly. Start with the basics, keep them low in the tank, approximate the amount of flow from your other tank as well as the light. Zoas can handle a wide range of conditions. They don’t like changes though, so go slow.

Parrottbay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if it's covered yet or not but I have an two 4ft frag tanks with nothing but basically zoas. I think I'm a pro at them haha but you can see me as obsessed.

Id tell you, after skimming your initial post, 3 things.

1 you are not feeding enough. Your nitrates are at 1?!

2 you said you did a 99% water change? My man, never ever do that. Max out at 40% a day for safety unless it's dire like alk at unreadable sky high limits.

3 sometimes corals close on their own for weeks for some of my zoas, I've noticed the more I change things, the more damage I'll do. That's granted if I know I have no pests etc. They'll eventually open in my opinion.

If I were you right now, only going off the initial post as I didn't read any further. I'd do these things in this order below:

1 go do a breathing exercise. Seriously, you're making rash decisions trying to, in your head, what's best. Don't let your emotions play into it. I did the same thing in GME stock and lost 30Gs.

2 use some biobacter 9 or equivalent daily or as prescribed to prevent possible recycle.

3 feed more, slowly raise your nitrates upwards to at least 9.

4 blow off infected zoas every other day or when you see a film or algae buildup on them. The algae will hinder the opening of the zoa.

5 feel free to pm me anytime. Best of luck!
output_image1617929985382.jpg

OP
OP
E

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if it's covered yet or not but I have an two 4ft frag tanks with nothing but basically zoas. I think I'm a pro at them haha but you can see me as obsessed.

Id tell you, after skimming your initial post, 3 things.

1 you are not feeding enough. Your nitrates are at 1?!

2 you said you did a 99% water change? My man, never ever do that. Max out at 40% a day for safety unless it's dire like alk at unreadable sky high limits.

3 sometimes corals close on their own for weeks for some of my zoas, I've noticed the more I change things, the more damage I'll do. That's granted if I know I have no pests etc. They'll eventually open in my opinion.

If I were you right now, only going off the initial post as I didn't read any further. I'd do these things in this order below:

1 go do a breathing exercise. Seriously, you're making rash decisions trying to, in your head, what's best. Don't let your emotions play into it. I did the same thing in GME stock and lost 30Gs.

2 use some biobacter 9 or equivalent daily or as prescribed to prevent possible recycle.

3 feed more, slowly raise your nitrates upwards to at least 9.

4 blow off infected zoas every other day or when you see a film or algae buildup on them. The algae will hinder the opening of the zoa.

5 feel free to pm me anytime. Best of luck!
output_image1617929985382.jpg
I mean, I did the breathing exercise, it's been a month with no change in the zoas whatsoever. I did the 100% waterchange out of concern that I had super high levels of silicate annoying the zoas. Haven't done anything besides refilling the ato and sprinkling a bit of powdered food since then pretty much. Turned off one of the pumps yesterday to see if it is flow related, but it doesn't seem to be because of too much flow.

Regarding nitrates, maybe, but in my other tank nitrates are at 0.1 and the same zoas are fine, I would have thought they are used to those levels by now. And other zoas in the same tank don't really have these inward curved tentacles either, just the two varieties now. The others just have short tentacles.

As for pests, there are amphipods in the tank, but I have had them attack zoas before, that always looked different. Polyps aren't getting fewer or thinner either, just constantly retracted inwards skirt but open disk on the Valentines day massacres and armor of gods, short tentacles on the other zoas, with the other zoas even growing in number.

Idk, maybe the gravity fed ato induced slight salinity swings tick those zoas more than the rest.

Recycle? Haven't really read in to that topic, what would potentially cause that here?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back