Zoas/palys and effects of paly toxin on livestock

TJ Merrells

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small colony of utter chaos palys that I'd like to frag but it's on a rock that cannot be removed.

Was planning on fragging with a razor blade in the display tank.

I have some other zoas and torch and a clown fish. Very new tank just finished cycling.

My question is if I frag heads off of the utter chaos palys will any possible paly toxin pose a risk to my fish or corals?

And how should I go about doing this safely?

Thx

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small colony of utter chaos palys that I'd like to frag but it's on a rock that cannot be removed.

Was planning on fragging with a razor blade in the display tank.

I have some other zoas and torch and a clown fish. Very new tank just finished cycling.

My question is if I frag heads off of the utter chaos palys will any possible paly toxin pose a risk to my fish or corals?

And how should I go about doing this safely?

Thx
You won’t have any issues with your fish or coral from paly toxin. Designer zoa like that have very little of the toxin to begin with. Fragging on a rock you can’t remove is going to be hard. If it’s a super smooth rock it may not be that bad but zoa can attached very tightly to rocks with porous outsides. If you’re determined to do it I would go to the edge of the colony and cut through the mat between zoa on the edge and the main colony. They use tweezers or some kind of flat scaper (I use a wedge thing made for working on nintendo gameboys when I frag, a guitar pick works well too) to get under the mat you’ve cut off and slowly wedge them off the rock. You’re going to destroy some polyps of you’ve never done this before. If you’re worried about toxin run carbon FYI. And he ready to catch any polyps that float away or you’ll end up with another colony somewhere you don’t want it.

Also, are you fragging to frag or to remove them from the rock? If you just want a frag put another smal rock of a plug next to the colony. When they grow over the new rock or plug cut the mat and bam, instant frag.

ou12004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea if you just want to frag them I would put putty or glue a frag plug next to them and let them grow onto the putty or rock them just cut them off with a razor blade

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back