zoas/palys that are likely to melt

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are some zoas that are more temperamental than others and want to try to stay away from those ... initially. Would really appreciate if people could share z&ps that they have had issues with even though most other things in their tank were doing well and params were in check.

Thanks!

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Armageddons and space monsters and darth mauls. These seem to have a problem melting from what I have read on here, though I have never had any, to $$ for my blood........

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on darth mauls & armageddons. Sopranos also seem to melt on just about everyone who manages to get their hands on them. Too bad, they're all beautiful zoas!

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think that most vendors if you asked would be forthcoming with letting you know if polps you were interested in would be difficult?

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on darth mauls & armageddons. Sopranos also seem to melt on just about everyone who manages to get their hands on them. Too bad, they're all beautiful zoas!

Agree with this list. I've never had any issues with Space Monsters melting, in fact they are one of the hardier, fastest growing polyps in my tank.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think that most vendors if you asked would be forthcoming with letting you know if polps you were interested in would be difficult?

I would hope most would. On the other hand if the vendor has a colony of darth mauls that they are consistently fragging and selling then from their perspective it is probably not one that is likely to melt. Think you will get much better representation from something like the boards. I am sure there are lots of examples of people who keep darth maul just fine, but if they consistently show up as a problem and mentioned more than others then I would say that at least in some tanks they are more likely to have issues than other zoas even if that is not the vendor's experience with them.

As for me Darth Maul is the only zoa I ever had month. Started with 3 polyps and over about 14 months it slowly grew to 8 polyps. Then closed up and within three weeks had disentegrated there was nothing I did that helped. Had no issues with any other zoas either before or since that happened.

elegant_reefer

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never once had a problem with any polyps melting. It all depends on how you handle them, placement, light, flow, and your parameters.

What I've heard is these melt easily (though never melted on me)-

Darth Mauls
Hornets (all of them)
Sopranos
Rastas

PolandSpring

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my darthmauls melted on me, Blue Hornets, and now my Space monster is on its way out. Its about its 3rd week of it being half closed the whole day, i've moved it and put it in less light and flow, still nothing.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never once had a problem with any polyps melting. It all depends on how you handle them, placement, light, flow, and your parameters.

What I've heard is these melt easily (though never melted on me)-

Darth Mauls
Hornets (all of them)
Sopranos
Rastas

ER have you tried sopranos? Just curious

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my darthmauls melted on me, Blue Hornets, and now my Space monster is on its way out. Its about its 3rd week of it being half closed the whole day, i've moved it and put it in less light and flow, still nothing.

Do you have others zoas you are keeping successfully? If so, I would suspect fragging/shipping stress on the Space Monster, or perhaps a miss ID of Strawberry Wines, which IME are much more prone to melting than the Space Monster.

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had no problem with spacemonster. Strawberry wine, wow paly, blue agave.

kron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- 1 Darth Mauls (I've had them for about a year, no melts)
+1 Purple Hornets (the mother colony died, glad I fragged before)

Stray32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple Hornets - have been through 5 frags, not worth the money now in my opinion
Darth Mauls - tried 3 different morphs, all melted
Armaggedons - we all know the story there
Sopranos - haven't had them, but they would be much more abundant if they didn't

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest fragging when the piece gets to 5 or 6 polyps and put them all over your tank. Could be a combo of your water, flow and light. experimenting may help you find the perfect spot for them!

Emoney

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darth Mauls, Camp fires, BLue agave,Rastas(only small frag seem to not do well after cutting), and JF blood shots!

all hornets are VERY hardy for me...

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 66 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.1%
Back