Zoas reaction during the course of the lighting schedule

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed at least half of my zoa colonies are open during the initial lighting period of the day but later in the day they close. Zoas like my bam-bams and eagle eyes, radioactive dragon eyes are closing during the later part of the day. I also am fighting cyano on some of the them, but they are getting really good flow. If I turn my gyres up any more the sand bed starts going nuts so I do not think it is a flow issue. My lights are two Radion G6 pros over a two foot deep tank, lighting intensity around 80%

I hate to change too much too quickly, the majority the tank looks excellent but I am starting to lose some of my zoas that I have had a long time.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts:

-potential irritation from Cyano (allelopathy or toxins?Not sure)
-nutrients too low? What are nitrates at
-Check salinity and verify accuracy
-Lighting - how long have you run at that intensity? When did problem start?

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts:

-potential irritation from Cyano (allelopathy or toxins?Not sure)
-nutrients too low? What are nitrates at
-Check salinity and verify accuracy
-Lighting - how long have you run at that intensity? When did problem start?

Nitrates around 20, trying to get those down. Phosphates between .01 and .03 depending on the day.

Lighting, before we had a Red Sea system with the Reefled 90s, no real problem there. The Red Sea had the typical red sea seam issue so we have been on these lights for many months now. Intensity has been like this for months.

The Redsea lights were 90 watts, I think these are 105 watts. I ran the red sea lights around 100%blue and 40% whites or around that. I do not think you can really compare the lights like that though, they are so different. Salinity is on point, I have a Fusion plus I do check against my manual tester when doing water changes.

I would say I could just move the zoas but these guys are on huge rocks because well they were doing so well they spread everywhere, basically on the base rocks so not movable at this point.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates around 20, trying to get those down. Phosphates between .01 and .03 depending on the day.

Lighting, before we had a Red Sea system with the Reefled 90s, no real problem there. The Red Sea had the typical red sea seam issue so we have been on these lights for many months now. Intensity has been like this for months.

The Redsea lights were 90 watts, I think these are 105 watts. I ran the red sea lights around 100%blue and 40% whites or around that. I do not think you can really compare the lights like that though, they are so different. Salinity is on point, I have a Fusion plus I do check against my manual tester when doing water changes.
Your nitrates are fine for zoas and most coral, so my guess is irritation from the cyano. How long ago did this start, though? Could also check at night for pests like zoa spiders. Try siphoning off the cyano. If it keeps recurring you could try Chemiclean, but I'd try to figure out what caused the bloom in the first place. Did you have a recent nutrient spike or do you dose anything? There's a lot of potential reasons. Sorry I can't help more

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Zoas used to do this before I was able to defeat Cyano. I would actually find Cyano on their stalks late in the day. Ticked me (and them) off.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back