Zoas stretch for reasons other than lighting?

CorbetJackson50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a zoa dominated 25g lagoon tank 12" deep. Lit with a Kessil A360we. Intensity and color both max out at 50% during the day for 2 hrs. I don't think low light is to blame for the stretched out stalks on a few of my zoas. I have around 50 different zoas and there are only 4-5 that are doing this. I ramped the light intensity up to 90% and color to 75% over the course of a couple weeks. The only difference I noticed was more algae growth. I am doing 20% weekly water changes with Red Sea Coral Pro Salt.

OP
OP
CorbetJackson50

CorbetJackson50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO. Some have long stalks.

When I moved stretched for Light palys it took 3-4 weeks or more till they went back to shape.

Beyond that I have only seen higher flow do that.

I do have pretty high flow... maybe I’ll dial it down some.

CoralGuy19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could just be that they have longer stalks. I thought the same thing about a few of mine and then realized that they just had longer stems

OP
OP
CorbetJackson50

CorbetJackson50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates hover between 5-10ppm phosphates I haven’t checked but would assume they are within acceptable range???

When I got them they did not have long stalks like this...

OP
OP
CorbetJackson50

CorbetJackson50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have come up with a theory possibly. The tank lights don’t come on until around noon, they all open up and stretch towards the window/ambient light. I wonder if the low light morning period is causing this maybe?

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have pretty high flow... maybe I’ll dial it down some.
When flow is strong, Zoas shrink short to sort of hide from the flow. If you have calm water, they get comfortable and stretch out long. The stem has nothing to do with lighting. The petals are what tell you if it needs more light. If they are stretchEd up making a cup shape, then it needs more light. If the petals are flush with the center, the lighting is perfect.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back