OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to sell some of these zoas once they grow out. What do you think a fair price pp would be for these guys?

BillyReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to be a game breaker here, but are you really sure it's lighting related?

Before i got my PAR meter, my zoa's where doing the same...i bought them nice and big, and over the weeks they got smaller and smaller.
I checked PAR and some of them were getting only 30 PAR.

You say that the zoa's lit under your kessils are much bigger, how much PAR are they getting, and is it in the same system?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to be a game breaker here, but are you really sure it's lighting related?

Before i got my PAR meter, my zoa's where doing the same...i bought them nice and big, and over the weeks they got smaller and smaller.
I checked PAR and some of them were getting only 30 PAR.

You say that the zoa's lit under your kessils are much bigger, how much PAR are they getting, and is it in the same system?
Spectrum plays a role too. I've had zoas melt from to little light as well. I'm sure there's other factors that could be at play like nutrients but most of the issues in our tank stemmed from lighting. Anecdotal of course.

BillyReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectrum plays a role too. I've had zoas melt from to little light as well. I'm sure there's other factors that could be at play like nutrients but most of the issues in our tank stemmed from lighting. Anecdotal of course.

True, i went more dominant in the blue. But i did a few experiments since then going from full photoperiods of full spectrum, blue only, combined etc and found the best results with 10 hours blue, and a small bit of full spectrum on top of it for half the period.

I also had nutrients reading 0, the biggest improve i saw was since i started dosing. Maybe the topic starter is starving his zoa's out, but there is just enough comming free to keep them half opened.
I'm not sure, as you said there is alot of things. But dosing helped the most for me.

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DSC reef I forgot to mention I have this white film growing on most of my frag plugs and LR. I thought it was just film algae but the more I look at it and have researched it, it looks like it might be bacterial, possibly from overfeeding (even though I still don't show n03 or p04).

Any thoughts?

IMG_1762.jpg

BillyReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a sort of algae, that starts with a ch but more i forgot...it shows up in systems that have lack of nutrients. I had the same issue when my nutrients were not detectable.

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you carbon dosing @PDR?

No. I also do not have a skimmer on this tank, kind of confused how I still show no no3 and p04.

I've been contemplating stopping reef energy, and switching to target feeding 2x a week vs daily broadcast. I'm just thinking maybe I'm doing too much and overcompensating for not having any detectable nutrients. I want to keep things simple.

BillyReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I also do not have a skimmer on this tank, kind of confused how I still show no no3 and p04.

I've been contemplating stopping reef energy, and switching to target feeding 2x a week vs daily broadcast. I'm just thinking maybe I'm doing too much and overcompensating for not having any detectable nutrients. I want to keep things simple.

I had the same issue, skimmerless, nomatter what i fed results were non detectable, dosing did the trick for me. Even now, when i stop dosing for exemple nitrate a day or two, the day after i read zero again.

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DSC reef Care to take a crack at this one? (please forgive the algae, it looks worse than it is)

IMG_1920.jpeg

This one is interesting because 1 polyp of it survived for years under a forest of mind blowing palys. I purchased a small frag of it years ago and I think the vendor said there were orange oxides, but it doesn't really look that those to me. What is interesting about these is this is how they look in person under "normal" lighting (kessils at 40% color). The orange on these things puts all my other zoas to shame, even the flaming hornets are not near as bright as these. The tank is nowhere near that blue in person but the zoa colors are spot on.

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to do some digging. Maybe a morph of mandarins. Spectrum can do funky things with zoas. I'll keep looking.

FWIW these have always looked like this. That's what drew me to them in the first place.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back