Zoe Pest

Swooshjvm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t seem to get a good pic and don’t want to disappoint with bad pics. I have a red hornet colony that has these stems with balls at top in between the zoas. They don’t seem to harm but they irritate as they grow. Any idea what they are how to kill them? I have tried dipping revive and iodine and plucking. It doesn’t seem to work? Should I try a peroxide dip? No other zoas have it so I could remove frag but I like it.
Thanks in advance.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t seem to get a good pic and don’t want to disappoint with bad pics. I have a red hornet colony that has these stems with balls at top in between the zoas. They don’t seem to harm but they irritate as they grow. Any idea what they are how to kill them? I have tried dipping revive and iodine and plucking. It doesn’t seem to work? Should I try a peroxide dip? No other zoas have it so I could remove frag but I like it.
Thanks in advance.
Folks will need a pic, never mind how rubbish it is.

OP
OP
S

Swooshjvm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a pic on top of zoas is easiest one to see. Thanks

CA6AE9CB-7155-45D4-9570-7448FE3CE274.jpeg

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't really tell in your pic, move the coral closer to the glass and try again. But just a guess based on what you described I think maybe a ball anemone.

OP
OP
S

Swooshjvm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has similar tentacles but no mouth and are stand alone almost like a tree or space needle

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks like tubes of colonial hydroids or Spiral Tube Feather Dusters (Spirorbis spp.) which will annoy and even sting them.
The challenge here is, you want to starve them yet feed the zoa. If you feed the zoa, you feed the hydroids. Prevent food from getting to the droids and they starve and go away. Direct flow towards- Not at the droids and they will be unable to grab food

OP
OP
S

Swooshjvm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like tubes of colonial hydroids or Spiral Tube Feather Dusters (Spirorbis spp.) which will annoy and even sting them.
The challenge here is, you want to starve them yet feed the zoa. If you feed the zoa, you feed the hydroids. Prevent food from getting to the droids and they starve and go away. Direct flow towards- Not at the droids and they will be unable to grab food
What if I just take the zoa colony out of water for a day or 12 hours will that kill the hydroids? I know zoas can live out of water for awhile?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What if I just take the zoa colony out of water for a day or 12 hours will that kill the hydroids? I know zoas can live out of water for awhile?
I really wouldnt risk that. Zoa can tolerate a dip in perxide- Not sure if the hydroids can or would

OP
OP
S

Swooshjvm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wouldnt risk that. Zoa can tolerate a dip in perxide- Not sure if the hydroids can or would
I did a peroxide dip before and they came back. I did a higher concentration this time and they are gone hopefully don’t come back. Luckily it’s only on my red hornets and my others are good to go. Thanks

Back