Zoo frag or colony, which is better?

jechupp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ask this question because I am a site sponsor and really love zoos. They are my favorite coral by far and somewhat heartier than other types of corals I've had in the past. So enough about being obsessed with zoos.

I sell zoo colonies all the time, but not as many as other vendors ell their frags of 5-25 polyps. I am wondering why that is? Why do people prefer frags over whole colonies? I've listed inexpensive colonies for sale here before and have not had much luck selling them. And that's ok too. I'm just wondering why so many people like zoo frags over whole colonies?

And by the way, if you let me know what kinds of zoos you are interested in, I can start to look for them and post sales according to you likes and dislikes. I'd really like to know more about the subject at hand and can't wait to here what others have to say.

Thanks,

Jeff
www.drslivecorals.com

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I can't speak for all but I only keep nano tanks and as a result I really don't have room for the full colonies also I'm interested in striking zoas whether they be name brand or not I think the bottom line is most people want coral to look good regardless of the name or price tag

OP
OP
J

jechupp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you guys both agree that frags are better choice for the sake of room and variety?

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i sell almost only zoanthids. people LOVE frags. they would much rather spend 100 bucks and get several different colors and types then spend that same 100 bucks on one large peice of the same type. also like said about nano tankes are taking over so space is at its prime. break those rocks up and you will find your selling ALOT more. you end up with more money and they end up with peices they can aford and a great corals. its a win win

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jechupp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its taken me some time to realize that, but after this thread I think I will be putting my inland saw to better use from now on!! Thanks for the advice!

Neon Reef

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned that you would like us to mention what zoas interest us..
if you can find me some armagaddons, true purple hornets, sour apples, creamsicles, dalmation w blue eyes, electric strawberry, sopranos, pink auroras, purple sticky punch, rastas, raspberry limeades and captain americas, i'll be one happy camper..lol

jok312

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like to buy frags because you can buy a couple frags of different ones for the same price of 1 colony [more variety], some of the cheaper colonies sometimes tend to be boring and lack in color (although not always the case)[eye candy] usually people sell colonies of no-name corals (which is good) but a lot of people tend to buy more of the popular ones. also the price is cheaper [price], and i like to buy them small so i can see them grow [growth]. although it's nice to decorate your tank with one huge colony, i kinda feel cheated out of the experience of raising my own. [accomplishment]

edit: also i have a nano so space does play a role [space]

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what they are first off, but frags are much better. Mostly because if they are wild to start and you can grow them out then you have done a 'good thing' and the next generations from then on will be hardier and more able to survive different system parameters ranging from the 14gl setup in the college dorm room to the 240gl in wall show tank.

jimsflies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel the chance for predatory hitchhikers is less on frags. There are fewer places for things to hide to escape detection if you are looking at an small piece of rock mounted to a frag plug. I would prefer to not freshwater dip on arrival if I can help it. I think it just adds to coral's stress and reduces the chance it will make it.

With that said, I don't generally like the price points as well on frags. I think the per polyp pricing especially on zoas is completely out of hand. And with a big ol' colony of wild zoas, they are rarely priced per polyp.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back