Zooanthids Vs SPS

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my Zoas are within 1/2" from one my my best acro's. I dont have a DMZ between them. as I have never Kept Zoas, will they zap the SPS? will it hold its own?

I am prepared to kalk paste them unless they are easy to get off the rocks then we will frag them.

2011-08-02210816.jpg

Last edited:

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the thread should have been titled "zoo's v/s sps and pickling lime!" :)

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those don't look like they would be easy to frag. But I would at least try, see if you can get the "mat" to pull up a bit. And wear some gloves.

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 kazillion billion on them gloves.

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never wear gloves I guess I'm ol fashion when it comes to diggin in my tank goodluck with that

Zef004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas will win. In my old tank I use to put purple epoxy from BRS. Between the 2 said corals. And when the zoa get close to the acro I just pop it off and you got a frag for sale or trade. Lol.
Here's a pic of a war from my old tank.
DSC_0012.jpg

OP
OP
pickupman66

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have to get some of that puddy... every time I put a plug next to them to grow onto, the stupid urchin runs off with it. I tossed a few plugs into the middle of them and givent he current growth, ill have frags by the meeting.

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never wear gloves I guess I'm ol fashion when it comes to diggin in my tank goodluck with that

Me neither. But when messing with palytoxin you better.

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have to get some of that puddy... every time I put a plug next to them to grow onto, the stupid urchin runs off with it.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

OP
OP
pickupman66

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tina.. you got one of those from the swap too didnt you??? UGH that thing runs off with everything that is not nailed down. and sometimes will even break the superglue... I got a Blasto Merletti that has traveled around my tank no less than 10 times. Poor thing...

anyways, i will see if I can get an exact knife to them tonight and see if I can peel them off. Just like gsp right??? the rock is not the smoothest of surfaces so it might be a no go. Ive also thought about relocating the acro too... but its happy and I really dont want the entire side of that tank to be these green zoas...what started as maybe 20 polyps in October is now the size of a dinner plate.

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I didn't see any urchins for sale at the swap. But I did buy one at the LFS--a long spined. I was told it was a mistake but he hasnt hurt anything. He's always in the way though! I like him. I want one of those tuxedo urchins too.
Your zoa colony is huge!

Zef004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lindsey just move the acro an inch or 2 to the left. And put some epoxy puddy down. Don't have to be the brs kind. I use it because I didn't want the white one to stick out so much.

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the Oatey Fix-it-Stick from Home Depot or Lowe's. Twice as big as AquaMend for $6. Works fine.

Zef004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all are the same. Homedepot has J&B waterweld. Lowes don't have anything safe. Well the 2 by my house don't.

Harry oatey fix n stick Ive never seen this before. Will look in to it. What department do they keep it in. I know the other epoxy are all by the paints. And they don't even keep the aquamend any more at homedepot by me:)

Last edited:

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all are the same. Homedepot has J&B waterweld. Lowes don't have anything safe. Well the 2 by my house don't.

Harry oatey fix n stick Ive never seen this before. Will look in to it. What department do they keep it in. I know the other epoxy are all by the paints. And they don't even keep the aquamend any more at homedepot by me:)

I started looking for substitutes when HD quit handling AquaMend (I don't think they absolutely quit but they seemed to be out of stock a lot). I guess I've used all of them over the last 2 or 3 years and none of them seem to be harmful. Some were a little messy to work with and the blue Loctite gets pretty warm. Some of them take too long (or not long enough) to start hardening. Any of them seem to get the job done. I stumbled on the Oatey product and bought a stick to see what it would do. It works fine. Look for it in the plumbing section of both stores.

OP
OP
pickupman66

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
harry.... thanks! for $6, I think i can afford some of that.. Ill pick up some this week to keep the Zoas at bay.. hate to see them consume a nice Grape Sherbert acro.. These things grew and expanded faster than the GSP did in the old tank..

angrycubano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will have to look into that Oatey. I can't seem to keep my monti caps to stick. sorry for hitchiking the thread but it looks like it lead to some good info.

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really want to contribute to the "hijack" but I have realized that the epoxy puttys (all of them) are very good for making the frag (or plug) conform to the shape of your rockwork but not very good at adhering (unless your rock has a very irregular surface). For that reason I always use super glue gel on both sides of the putty to make it stick.

Sandwiched like this:

Frag
Super Glue
Putty
Super Glue
Rockwork

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back