Zoomonster's 32g Clown Asylum Build

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... I have gone back and forth for quite a while about getting rid of the last of RBTA's out of my 200g. I've come close but slack off and they take off again being I like my clowns and didn't want to leave them homeless. The RBTA's are really nice too except when they take over your tank. When I started this time there were easily 100+ and I have given away or sold several times that over the years.
So anyway, I went shopping for a suitable tank and found a really good deal on a barely used Fiji 32g with stand, Fiji sump and screen top. Thought I had taken pics of the tank when I got it but guess not. A near done pic will have to do.

t1.jpg

OP
OP
zoomonster

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plumbing was more trouble than my 200g being its metric (which I didn't think about) and tight space. Safe to say I would not buy any Redsea or Fiji tank new for that reason. Fortunately, the two drain bulkheads were never glued and fit 3/4 PVC. Problem was the assembled return T was cut off at the bulkhead. I tried just about everything and couldn't get that piece of pipe out of the bulkhead. The odd thing was the overflow bulkheads were labeled 25mm and the return 3/4. I had ordered a bulkhead with some stuff and no cigar. Got several from Amazon and no cigar. Hit a couple stores like 40 minutes away and picked up two I thought I could make work. The closet one I would have had do 1/2 to 3/4 which would have required a little drill work. Of the millions of tools I have not a 3/4 drill bit so I grabbed one at Lowes. Of course when I got it home I had the bright idea of hitting the original bulkhead with it and of course the pvc popped right out. Never will I deal with a metric tank again. All parts on hand and off I went. As usual I built the whole thing without glue to my satisfaction then went back and glued everything,

Anyway, nothing fancy on the plumbing other than a Speers valve from BRS for the return. In the end I did not even bother with unions on the two overflows. If I had it to do again, I would probably dispense with the hard plumbing and just use hose. The overflow box was so tight and the fact the original overflow pipes were not there made it a bit of a hassle getting it tweaked. Ultimately, I took off that elbow on the primary drain, I built, and just used a longer open pipe. The emergency drain pipe had to nearly be touching that return T. There's something to be said for bigger tanks lol.

t2.jpg

OP
OP
zoomonster

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I bought to start was PVC parts, Speers valve, Sicce pump and an IM heater figuring to do the rest later. So, in went the pump. The one thing this sump was missing was rubber bulkheads, but no matter didn't bother.
t3.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
zoomonster

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rest of the plumbing took a little effort to get it just right and get things to line up. That heater turns out to be inadequate being I keep my house ~72-73. It holds 77 but runs all the time. Nice thing about those heaters is regardless of size you get the same controller and magnetic holder. I'll either get another 100w or just a 200w tube.

t4.jpg

OP
OP
zoomonster

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As shown in that very first picture plumbing is done and tank is level. I filled up the overflow and a little in tank to check for leaks. Then I then washed the Caribsea Seaflor and added the shallow sandbed. All was good and pumped in water from my outside 44g RODI container. I let that run for a day and with no leaks added salt via the skimmer chamber. I let that run a couple days to clear up any dust left from the sand and salt mixing with just a 200 micron sock.

t5.jpg

t6.jpg

OP
OP
zoomonster

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a day or so I added some excess rock from my 200g along with some spare dry and some Dr Tim's one and only. Literally a day later I added a few pieces of rock with RBTA's attached to get moving along. Also gave them a squirt of food to speed things up.

t7.jpg

OP
OP
zoomonster

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So lights... I really had not given it much thought when I bought this tank. Previously I had 5 Kessil A360WE's on my 200g and one by one they died right after the 2 years mark and I went with Radions G5's. Good thing I'm sorta a packrat and kept them. Had the bright idea of googling if I could fix them and came across the fix where you basically just apply power from a 12v power supply (used old PC power supply) to the circuit board and voila it worked and I had one on the tank working since. It didn't take long to realize it really needed two, so I repeated the fix and then there were two which are connected with the link cable. No controller on this tank so just added a couple simple light timers. Timed on off but no timed dimming as with Apex. No plans to buy a controller but maybe at some point I will upgrade the A2 on my 200g and this tank will get the hand me down A2.

By the same token the in tank flow proved insufficient and at least for the time being I went to the junk bin and pulled out a Jebao I tossed aside for MP40's years ago. A little large but works fine on power level 2 or 3. That I'll replace but have not decided what yet. Likely a MP10 I can control with Mobius or maybe a Tunze. Adding more rock this week as I do a little rearranging in the 200g and pull out some along with washing some rock I stored dry.

t8.jpg

OP
OP
zoomonster

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats about it for now. More pics when I add more rock and eventually more RBTA's and my clowns. I got a powder blue tang that was way smaller than expected (in large acclimation box now) and I may put him in here to grow up a bit before going to my 200 where my purple tang would probably eat him alive. I'm probably going to do this as a rock island leaving lots of sand space for some misc stuff from my other tank. Probably some room on the rock too as the RBTA's will migrate upwards to the light.

Next step is something I can't live without; ATO. Been doing this 35 years and spent first few years lugging and adding topoff water by hand and no more. I have a 5g Crystal ATO container along with a Tunze Nano coming from BRS. Still some hassle filling container but better than daily. Just no practical way to draw from my outside 44g container.

Skimmer I will probably do without for a while. When I do add one probably a Reef Octopus 110sss 5".

Forgot to mention power is coming from a Tripp-Lite 7 outlet surge/strip with switches on 6/7 of the outlets. Great deal on Amazon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
zoomonster

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just really dawned on me last night that I could have partial control w/o a new controller. I now have a MXM (and WXM) module on my Apex so if I used an MP10 and a XR15 on this tank they could be controlled by Fusion. I'll have to think on that and maybe find a used XR15. I don't see myself spending the ludicrous $500 for one little light and $108 for the mount. Even the MP10 is $350 so maybe used there also. On my other tank sure but this was supposed to be a quick inexpensive side build. No such thing as inexpensive anymore lol

OP
OP
zoomonster

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks BTA's are looking pretty happy today (one even split already) and were really the canaries in the coal mine. Planning on moving in more rock this weekend and actually maybe get a decent rock structure going. Actually shocked UPS is delivering my ATO and container tomorrow (finally getting with the times) and none too soon. This little tank with open top evaporates some serious water. Pretty delicate balance between tank volume, dialed in overflow and sump level. ATO should get that under control. Hopefully I will get the clowns and the last of the RBTA's in here in the next week assuming I can catch the clowns.

t9.jpg

OP
OP
zoomonster

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving along except my ATO and container got "equipment delays" from UPS and is now supposed to be here tomorrow. I was scrounging through my junk bin and decided to give an old Apex gold controller a go. Found a 12v wall wart for it and it does fire up. Tried the display but seems to be DOA. I have been wanting another EB8 and snagged one off Ebay today. Pretty sure display or not once it's all powered by the EB8 and I plug in ethernet cable (router just around corner) I can get it up on Fusion and get everything under control. Also lucked out and found the cable to hook the Kessel's to it so I can control intensity and schedule with a virtual outlet. Think the only spare probe I have is temp so if it all works, I will add buy a PH probe. I also scrounged up a PM2 and ALD module though I probably won't need. I certainly won't buy a salinity probe from Neptune, but I may use the PM2 if I add an ORP probe. Moral of the story: Its pays to be a packrat LOL.

I also washed and bleached some rock I had in storage yesterday and added to the tank along with a few more pieces from the 200g. Tanks doing well, RBTA's are busting out but getting into a bit of ugly phase with some brown diatoms on rock, sand and glass. If I keep using that Jebao much longer might need to actually clean it. Nothing spectacular on the rock placement but just happened to work out with a nice cave in the middle. Those two front right pieces probably aren't staying and there mostly for seeding. I added a piece of red razor algae (Bryothamnion triquetrum) to give it a try keeping some plants in here.

t10.jpg

OP
OP
zoomonster

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the ATO setup and running last night. Again, something to be said for larger tanks lol. There's room in the stand for the sump and the ATO container but not much else and wiring etc. has already become something of a mess. Not going to bother with cleaning it up until I get the EB8 in a few days. That is assuming the old Apex and the EB8 are good to go and I can get them on Fusion. Even at that it will be a challenge to get things somewhat in order.

I did some work on my 200g today and decided to pull another piece of rock with a couple of RBTA's. As soon as I did the clowns went on the attack. So, I took the opportunity to try and catch them. Big Mama I got first swipe, but Whitey got away and subsequent attempts failed. I'll just have to give him some time to relax and I'll try again.

For all the designer clowns out there the true Percula remains one of my favorites and they used to be available and inexpensive. Now good luck finding them. Her mate died a few years ago and I bought them both close to 10 years ago. She's had several boy toys since lol.

T11.jpg
T12.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So much to like here! Congratulations on the new adventure!

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the ATO setup and running last night. Again, something to be said for larger tanks lol. There's room in the stand for the sump and the ATO container but not much else and wiring etc. has already become something of a mess. Not going to bother with cleaning it up until I get the EB8 in a few days. That is assuming the old Apex and the EB8 are good to go and I can get them on Fusion. Even at that it will be a challenge to get things somewhat in order.

I did some work on my 200g today and decided to pull another piece of rock with a couple of RBTA's. As soon as I did the clowns went on the attack. So, I took the opportunity to try and catch them. Big Mama I got first swipe, but Whitey got away and subsequent attempts failed. I'll just have to give him some time to relax and I'll try again.

For all the designer clowns out there the true Percula remains one of my favorites and they used to be available and inexpensive. Now good luck finding them. Her mate died a few years ago and I bought them both close to 10 years ago. She's had several boy toys since lol.

T11.jpg
T12.jpg
Love the clowns!!

OP
OP
zoomonster

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been putting a lot of effort into my 200g but finally got back to this one. My good friend FedEx delivered a G6 Pro XR15, mounting arm and an MP10 today. Just got finished installing a little while ago and looking pretty good. Well, these stupid premade screen tops never properly accommodate for common lighting brackets. For that matter neither does the overflow cover. I have the light and pump up on Mobius but may add to my Apex MXM on my main tank. I scrounged up an old Apex gold controller that seems to work and I got a used EB8 the other day. Have not gotten around to that or cleaning up wiring just yet. Also still have a few RBTA's in my 200g and still have not been able to catch the avalanche clown. At this rate he may end up staying there and I may get big mama a new mate. I had also ordered a green acid wash with colored tips but they sent me the wrong one and to make up for it sent me 2 more. Nothing spectacular just acid washed green with maybe yellow tips. The RBTA's I put in there to start with have already exploded. A couple trochus snails hitched a ride on the rock and doing a good job of getting things cleaned up.

t13.jpg

OP
OP
zoomonster

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a new powder blue tang some weeks ago and he was much smaller than expected. My purple tang tried to kill him and I had to scoop him out and was keeping in an acclimation box where he was going stir crazy. Pretty fat and eating like a pig but still too small for the 200g. Anyway, the other day I plopped him into this tank where he is doing very well and even with the BTA's he has plenty of room to move. He's got some growing to do but one day soon I'll have to move him back to the 200. These have always been my favorite tang.

pbtang1.jpg

Ottoson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, your tank is stunning, well done. I am new to reefing and have a tank that's 2 1/2 months old right now, everything is going well. I have 2 small maroon clownfish and my plan was to keep them and some BTA. I am patiently waiting for the time I can introduce anemone to the tank, some websites say wait at least 6 months, some say 1 year. I used "seeded" live rock from LFS, "live" sand, and using Brightwell supplements so it cycles quicker, no ugly phase yet, but healthy amount of algae.

You being so successful with anemone, I would love your input. When would be a good time to introduce anemone to a newer tank like this one? thanks!

OP
OP
zoomonster

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, your tank is stunning, well done. I am new to reefing and have a tank that's 2 1/2 months old right now, everything is going well. I have 2 small maroon clownfish and my plan was to keep them and some BTA. I am patiently waiting for the time I can introduce anemone to the tank, some websites say wait at least 6 months, some say 1 year. I used "seeded" live rock from LFS, "live" sand, and using Brightwell supplements so it cycles quicker, no ugly phase yet, but healthy amount of algae.

You being so successful with anemone, I would love your input. When would be a good time to introduce anemone to a newer tank like this one? thanks!
Well, honestly I started this tank, added some Dr. Tims, dead seaflor grade sand, some dead rock and some live rock and going in a week with RBTA's. I did have some prolonged ugly and just added some live sand. What I really needed was a skimmer and just added a classic 110SSS Reef Octopus. Just in case I was adding a tiny amount of prime daily for about a week for any ammonia and then adding a little NP-Bacto Balance. So, I would say you are probably good to go. You can feed them stuff like mysis to start but really all they need is strong light and nutrients and they will thrive.

And BTW the one RBTA I bought 10 years ago was in my 200g in a matter of weeks.

Last edited:

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 13.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 47 46.1%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back