zooxanthellae, brown jelly disease, or pooping?

R0C95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, just picked up this Todd's (ish) torch from a LFS 2 days ago. Just noticed it was doing this. It was very happy this am when I was feeding the tank and testing the water. It was OI dipped prior to entry. water is stable (checked this am). 0 ammo, 0 nitrite, 5 nitrates, 1.025 sal, 78 temp, 7.8 alk, 430 cal, 1340 mag, 0.2 phos, 8.2 ph (am I missing anything lol). Other Los looks great, and everything else is the tank not Lps is doing awesome as well. What is everyone's thoughts? I dont want to dip again or cut, but will have to if i need to try and keep this guy alive. I'm hoping it's not brown jelly disease. I'm sure I'll work out a refund with my LFS but i just dont like stuff dying in my tank. Thanks!

20200319_142437.jpg

Pudge&Bubbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one answered? How is it doing?

In my short experience so far, I've noticed some of my pieces do this after exposure to too much light

(so, if I've learned from the right sources, this causes the zooxanthellae to overproduce, and the coral to expel them)

I turned the lights off for the day, let everything rest, and shortened the photo period while it adjusts. It has happened to me 3 times, different pieces, and it's worked for them.

OP
OP
R0C95

R0C95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one answered? How is it doing?

In my short experience so far, I've noticed some of my pieces do this after exposure to too much light

(so, if I've learned from the right sources, this causes the zooxanthellae to overproduce, and the coral to expel them)

I turned the lights off for the day, let everything rest, and shortened the photo period while it adjusts. It has happened to me 3 times, different pieces, and it's worked for them.
Hey, thanks for the reply! Definitely not brown jelly as I wouldve lost this piece within hours. Everything is looking great!!! So this is my first torch but not first lps, and I'm thinking it REALLY had to poop. but the way it did it, was it shrunk down all the way and then unloaded on the tank haha. So it kinda scared me. I think the crisis is averted!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it looking today, any picks, that doesn't look like brown jelly, but it doesn't look like poop either. Whether or not its poop just depends on the water flow, it could make it look like it isn't coming from its mouth.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 52 34.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 40 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 30 19.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 28 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back