Grow your own PNS!

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're so welcome! It was actually an idea originally put forth by users. :)

Instagram live stream. Tomorrow, Friday May 13th at 6:30 P.M. (Mountain Time).

live stream 5:13.png

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about the particles in YelloSno. In one of the online docs, you mention you use Chitin for the powder, but everything I have seen relating to powdered Chitin usually refers to it as Chitosan, which has anti-microbial properties. Are you using Chitosan and if so, is the PNSB not susceptible to the antimicrobial effects?

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about the particles in YelloSno. In one of the online docs, you mention you use Chitin for the powder, but everything I have seen relating to powdered Chitin usually refers to it as Chitosan, which has anti-microbial properties. Are you using Chitosan and if so, is the PNSB not susceptible to the antimicrobial effects?
It's not chitosan. It's an entirely natural, whole, untreated form of chitin (two, actually).

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Kenneth Wingerter,

Thanks for all of the invaluable info in this AMA. You mentioned that you had set up an NPS tank and were looking at incorporating PNSB dosing into the feeds for that tank. Any chance you've had experience with PNSB and dendronephthya or others in the family Nephtheidae at this point? Or Anthogorgia or any of the antipatharians?

I'm curious how much benefit you feel is being derived from PNSB as a direct bacterioplankton food source for NPS corals as opposed to other, less direct benefits like to the coral holobiont or maybe suppression of pathogenic bacteria.

Thanks,

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you've had experience with PNSB and dendronephthya or others in the family Nephtheidae at this point? Or Anthogorgia or any of the antipatharians?
Yes, I kept a Dendronephthya for (if I remember right) about seven months in a plain, no-rock, barebottom, filterless (just pumps) 10-gal. Only fed ProBio and YelloSno for the most part (some very occasional OceanMagik phyto or Coral Feast dry food). The reason it died was because of an admittedly stupid water change mishap. Will probably try this genus again after we expand our facility this winter. Originally got the idea of using PNS bacteria for Dendronephthya from Sprung and Delbeek's The Reef Aquarium vol. 3 (pages 585-586). The only other similar coral I've tried under this feeding regimen is Nephthyigorgia (still have it, different tank, about a year and a half now).
I'm curious how much benefit you feel is being derived from PNSB as a direct bacterioplankton food source for NPS corals as opposed to other, less direct benefits like to the coral holobiont or maybe suppression of pathogenic bacteria.
How much is difficult to say. I do feel pretty certain that there has been 'some' benefit. You're totally correct in pointing out that the benefits (if any) may be peripheral. For example, maybe these bacteria are promoting the growth of protists that the coral is eating. And yes, certainly could be some probiotic effects there, too. Maybe something like this https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19719665/ or this https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1978301916301589. My guess is that both are the case; these bacteria (Rhodopseudomonas palustris) and very similar rhizobia have been observed to be consumed as a food and also utilized as a probiotic/symbiont in wild corals.

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a couple updates...

First, ever since we closed our direct sales outlet on our website (we are now wholesale-only through our distributor Aquarium Supply Distribution and are now available at BRS, SaltwaterAquarium.com and Premium Aquatics as well as AlgaeBarn and many great LFSs), we've had a lot of inquiries about availability of the PNS HomeGro kits. Good news is we still offer them (direct) despite the fact that our online store is now gone (actually hidden). For those who wish to order that product, simply use the link https://www.hydrospace.store/product-page/pns-homegro-2-5-gal

Second, we recently made a small improvement to the growth medium, specifically the trace element mixture. This formula most definitely promotes better PNSB growth, likely due to its lower iodine content (iodine is not an essential element for these bacteria, and may even inhibit their growth). So that has been pretty exciting to discover; funny how tweaking something as simple as a single trace element can have a substantial effect on something like this.

Anyway, thanks as always for your amazing support and Merry Christmas!

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just a couple updates...

First, ever since we closed our direct sales outlet on our website (we are now wholesale-only through our distributor Aquarium Supply Distribution and are now available at BRS, SaltwaterAquarium.com and Premium Aquatics as well as AlgaeBarn and many great LFSs), we've had a lot of inquiries about availability of the PNS HomeGro kits. Good news is we still offer them (direct) despite the fact that our online store is now gone (actually hidden). For those who wish to order that product, simply use the link https://www.hydrospace.store/product-page/pns-homegro-2-5-gal

Second, we recently made a small improvement to the growth medium, specifically the trace element mixture. This formula most definitely promotes better PNSB growth, likely due to its lower iodine content (iodine is not an essential element for these bacteria, and may even inhibit their growth). So that has been pretty exciting to discover; funny how tweaking something as simple as a single trace element can have a substantial effect on something like this.

Anyway, thanks as always for your amazing support and Merry Christmas!
Thanks for the update! Cheers and happy holidays!

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kenneth Wingerter

Hello I am hoping you can answer a couple questions on the home grow kit. I got the Rhodopseudomonas palustris

What color should end up? When I first mixed it it was a yellowish color. Then it turned colorless and looked like clear water. A few days later it started turning a pinkish orange and now after almost a month under the light it is orange or reddish color. Just want to see if this is what it should look like if successful?

Second question is after the 30 day incubation period I am assuming I no longer leave it under the light? Does it need refrigerated or anything?

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi mdb_talon,

Yes, that's exactly what you should see. :) The initial yellowish green color (sort of a yellowy Mountain Dew color) is from the B vitamins in the mix, otherwise the starting color would likely just be clear. Those vitamins appear to get used up or altered in some way pretty quickly, and as you noted, the color gradually changes to a reddish orange hue. That's from the bacteria themselves, which produce copious amounts of carotenoids under illuminated anaerobic conditions such as this. So, looking good!

It's not necessary to keep the cube under light post-incubation, but I'd suggest leaving it there so long as it isn't a great inconvenience. The light will provide the living cultures with a constant input of metabolic energy which may help to extend their shelf life and maintain the highest possible cell densities. It may also keep them rich in those nutritious, color-enhancing carotenoids. On the other hand, no need to refrigerate. In fact, it's preferable that you continue to maintain them at room temp. I'd just add that during the growth phase, it's best to elevate the temp to around 82F-85F (upper 70s at a min) for R. palustris for fastest growth and best results; after that, room temp is fine.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi mdb_talon,

Yes, that's exactly what you should see. :) The initial yellowish green color (sort of a yellowy Mountain Dew color) is from the B vitamins in the mix, otherwise the starting color would likely just be clear. Those vitamins appear to get used up or altered in some way pretty quickly, and as you noted, the color gradually changes to a reddish orange hue. That's from the bacteria themselves, which produce copious amounts of carotenoids under illuminated anaerobic conditions such as this. So, looking good!

It's not necessary to keep the cube under light post-incubation, but I'd suggest leaving it there so long as it isn't a great inconvenience. The light will provide the living cultures with a constant input of metabolic energy which may help to extend their shelf life and maintain the highest possible cell densities. It may also keep them rich in those nutritious, color-enhancing carotenoids. On the other hand, no need to refrigerate. In fact, it's preferable that you continue to maintain them at room temp. I'd just add that during the growth phase, it's best to elevate the temp to around 82F-85F (upper 70s at a min) for R. palustris for fastest growth and best results; after that, room temp is fine.

Thanks so much for the response! I assumed it had worked but this helped to reassure me!

Dog Whiskey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi mdb_talon,

First a HUGE thank you for helping me through getting this to work. Just posted the photo of the second culture on Instagram and it looks great.

I'm growing this in my garage with a grow mat (for heat) and a light. The garage is insulated, but cooler than the rest of the house especially in winter. Could it be stored there, or should it be someplace with a warmer room temperature?

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First a HUGE thank you for helping me through getting this to work. Just posted the photo of the second culture on Instagram and it looks great.

I'm growing this in my garage with a grow mat (for heat) and a light. The garage is insulated, but cooler than the rest of the house especially in winter. Could it be stored there, or should it be someplace with a warmer room temperature?
That's awesome! No problem storing the finished cultures in cooler temps. You just need the warmer temps during the growth phase (around 86 F is best, so really warm!).

Dog Whiskey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome! No problem storing the finished cultures in cooler temps. You just need the warmer temps during the growth phase (around 86 F is best, so really warm!).
Thank you! It certainly seemed very happy this time. I'm giving it another week or so because it's not "officially" at the 30 day mark and then it will go into storage.

shakygator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Kenneth Wingerter

I am interested in growing my own Rhodopseudomonas palustris. I see you sell the homegrow kit but what about for subsequent batches? Do you sell the growth medium as a standalone product? Or is there something readily available we can use?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back