Lowboy frag tank addition to shaky's reef

shakygator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I have been planning to add on to this system for a while now, to give me more room to separate things. My current frag tank kinda developed into a BTA tank anyways and I need somewhere to grow out some other things.

Picked up a used lowboy locally this weekend. Currently deciding how to plumb this into my existing system. Lots of ideas going around still. Original plan was to place it under the window, but there are some caveats:
  1. I have to rebuild this wall in the next year, so I'll have to move the frag system to do this. Not a deal breaker but I'd rather avoid.
  2. My water storage system kind of blocks the best routes for plumbing this in. I'm also considering moving my dosers/apex and putting the lowboy to the left of the current 40 breeder. I've been wanting to build one of those nice apex "cabinets" anyways. Of course, that expands this build drastically.
Equipment planning (subject to change -- as always):
  • Jebao DCS-3000
  • Jebao SCP-90
  • Noopsyche K7 Pro II (x2)
No filtration needed as I'm going to plumb into the existing -- somehow. Kind of want to add a large fuge under the frag system too. Maybe a Tuff Stuff stock tank or Husky tote. Or a 40 breeder. I prefer to use a rubbermaid stock tank, but sadly it's just too big for this area. I'm also considering consolidating my return pumps, as this current plan will end up with 3 separate returns.

Existing setup, plus display on the other side of the wall:

Display: 105G DSA Neo rimless
Sump: Custom 71" ~70 gallon
Frag Tank #1: 40 gallon breeder
1598292152651.png

1598292163963.png

Top Shelf Aquatics

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Love those shallow tanks!

OP
S

shakygator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I don't have much progress to add to this yet as the exterior wall of my home needs to be rebuilt first. I am planning that now so I can get my lagoon setup!

In the meantime I was in need of new lights for my 40 breeder and unfortunately ALSO for my 105g display. I had purchased a pair of noopsyche k7 pro for the lowboy but decided to put them up over the nem tank. Good color, shimmer, and most importantly output.

Here are some PAR readings - at no more than 50%! I have not tested full power on these yet. They have a good punch and the spread is noticeably better than my old fixtures. So far everything has responded favorably.
1601669915831.png

1601669957938.png

OP
S

shakygator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I finally rebuilt the wall in the reef room that was delaying my lagoon build. It really really really needed to be done, so I did it. And when I say I rebuilt the wall I really did. I had to rip all the studs out, or what was left of them. Water and termite damage is no joke.

I will be redoing the siding on the rest of this wall probably next year, but for now I addressed the critical part which was the reef room wall.

Sump/frag tank in quarantine too
1606105565491.png

The best before pic I had...my wife had already started tearing things off
1606105392023.png

Hey where did the wall go?
1606105410322.png

Ran out of time on day #1..club reef is open for business, one day only
1606105432019.png

And then a day or two, or three later after sheathing, house wrap, a new window and of course the siding (hardie)
1606105461844.png

I'll spare you the progress pics on the internal build...but about a week later. Decided to paint it "ocean" colors. Went with 2 different tones, one for that deep water feel and one a little lighter
1606105523326.png

1606106205500.png

Since the reef room was back in operation I then did a large water change (75 gallons). I was wanting to do this anyways to "reset" the system. Things have been funky and throw in the construction dust, etc...thought it would be beneficial.
1606105717661.png

So at this point I started planning the lowboy addon. Basically planning to do something like this. The sump/fuge will be a 40g tub from tractor supply. Not a rubbermaid because the dimensions didn't work for me. Will be using uniseals instead of bulkheads on it.

1606105905549.png

Have most of the parts on order and really the only thing left to figure out will be the lights. So far I am really liking the noopsyches color and quality. I may be getting another pair for the lowboy.

Lazys Coral House
OP
S

shakygator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
That's a clean install. Looking forward to seeing 50g go up. Also, glad to hear the Noopsyches are holding up well. Based off the diagram, the 50 is going under the window with the sump/fuge?

Yes sir, that is the plan. Since I plan to move my mangroves into that tank they should benefit from the window light.

Do you have a little reefing side hustle that helps you earn money to put back into your hobby?

• Yes

Votes: 105 20.2%
  • No

Votes: 197 38.0%
  • Not yet but want to

Votes: 209 40.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 1.5%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors