SpideyBry's 30g Shallow Reef

spideybry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, figured I would finally start a build thread to track the progress and share where I am with everyone.

For a little background, my first tank was probably 12 years ago - started with a 55g reef tank that my dad got me as a gift. I had 0 clue what I was doing and fell in love with the hobby. When I was a kid I always toyed with the idea of getting into marine biology (love the ocean) but that changed a bit since there aren't many oceans near Philly lol. Since then I've owned a bunch of tanks and kept all sorts of corals. Met a bunch of great people along the way and just love the hobby in general (even had the fun time of being at MACNA back with an awesome group of people who started a forum).

Anyway, long story short I got out of the hobby around 5 years ago. I was in the process of getting ready to move/buy a house and I knew we wouldn't have been able to sell a house when I had all sorts of fish tanks plumbed to a basement and had 4 other frag tanks. I literally gave my entire setup away to a friend who was a clown fish breeder. My original pair of clowns is still alive and well - even laying eggs.

This was my old tank
(83g custom rimless tank with a 75g tank along with a few frag tanks plumbed in - everyone likes looking at tank pics lol).

1417734_10101005350626087_1550966724_o.jpg

621226_10100545591202657_1941858252_o.jpg
IMG_3953.JPG
IMG_3950.JPG

007.JPG

Alright, so all that being said - here is my new tank currently -_- It is very empty at the moment so please bear with me.

Equipment List:
  • Tank/Stand - Micro 30L External Overflow Aquarium - NUVO-EXT 30 Gallons - Innovative Marine Dims: 36"x15"x13" - Ext. Overflow Dims: 7.9"x3.5"x5.9"
  • Light - PopBloom 36" 3ft Marine Led Aquarium Light Led Reef Light Fish Tank Lights For Aquarium MJ7BP1
  • Skimmer - Sc Aquariums SCA-301 (currently offline, might go skimmerless)
  • Powerhead - Vortech Mp10
  • Return Pump - MD18 Danner Model 18B Utility Pump (1800gph)
  • Heater/Temp Controller - Inkbird ITC-308S and Aqueon 150w
  • Sump, uh I forget atm lol.
So here are the photos of the 30g tank from when I got it till now:

The post on Craigslist and what I paid for it lol -

IMG_7908.PNG
IMG_7909.JPG

Where the tank was going to go and some of my paintings (you can tell I never left the hobby:
IMG_7910.JPG
61782576702__2398AB83-BD07-4953-8B08-D76BBCEA1D8B.JPG

The tank when I picked it up:
IMG_7920.JPG

The tank when I cleaned it up in front of my house:
IMG_7931.JPG

The tank in place to see what it would look like:

IMG_7932.JPG

The tank with the lights on to get a feel for how it'd look:
61784947203__D176839C-2888-4C82-87EC-B535AD466D5D.JPG

The sump/plumbing sketches and hard plumb:
IMG_8005.JPG
IMG_8047.JPG

IMG_8089.JPG
IMG_8077.JPG

My first 3D printed parts that made my reef easier lol:

Wire organization:
IMG_8356.JPG

Aquascaping:

IMG_8754.JPG

FINALLY... FTS:
FTS.jpg

Some current inhabitants:
IMG_9703.jpg
IMG_9730.jpg

IMG_9752.jpg

IMG_9748.jpg

IMG_9782.jpg

Sooooo... you made it this far... There are still plenty of things to do and improvements to be made. This is very much a work in progress and I am still trying to remember things from back when I was in the hobby. I hope to be leaning on all of you to figure things out as I go along and hopefully help some others along the way to avoid any mistakes I've made lol.

Looking forward to being a part of this community.

OP
OP
spideybry

spideybry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update -
A breeder friend of mine gave me a pair of picasso clowns yesterday. They're doing well so far.

IMG_9829.jpg

The lighting seems to be stronger than expected - I'm unable to use the current light settings without bleaching some corals a bit. Right now, the frags on the rack are all doing well - anything I put onto a rock seems to get a bit bleached.

Here is the lighting schedule that was suggested for "vivid color" on my light settings. I so far have limited output to 75% - though I may wind up doing something like actual white daylight time and then some blue attinic times.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

1562046834046_0-jpg.1752943

annotation-2020-08-28-095412-png.1754935

At this point though, the tank is doing well - I am looking to get a Po4 test kit soon and see how the tank is holding up.

OP
OP
spideybry

spideybry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, after a bit of bleaching or some photoinbition on a couple of the SPS I had in the tank (nothing is dead yet thankfully) and parameters all checking out - I am deciding on tweaking the photo period on the tank.

I actually started another thread on figuring out the actual specs of the light that I have - turns out I was putting out around 500 PAR. Being in the process of figuring out what is the optimal setting to run for this light, I've decided on my own schedule based off the PAR readings I've taken.

If any one wants to pop over there and give me suggestions, I still have the PAR meter until Wednesday - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/popbloom-turing75-any-one-have-input-suggestions.752722/

Here is the rough schedule I've come up with so far:
1599362572884.png

This should give me a rough photo period of around 12 hours (with two hours ramping up and two hours ramping down).

I am open to any suggestions here.

Also here is a frag shot (it has bleached a bit since this shot though):
image0 (1).jpg

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice! I have IM 30L AIO. Really like the extra space in your EXT!

OP
OP
spideybry

spideybry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice! I have IM 30L AIO. Really like the extra space in your EXT!
Thanks. I really lucked out when I found this tank for sale. It looks like Innovative Marine might have discontinued this specific EXT tank? I love the external overflow box, it just keeps everything so much cleaner.

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes- they do not have the 30EXT on the IM web site. The AIO is nice but it takes up a lot of valuable real estate in the tank. I have a nice bashsea sump that will fit perfectly in the IM stand. Wish they made a 30Lext peninsula because I don’t have room for an EXT with rear external overflo.

OP
OP
spideybry

spideybry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes- they do not have the 30EXT on the IM web site. The AIO is nice but it takes up a lot of valuable real estate in the tank. I have a nice bashsea sump that will fit perfectly in the IM stand. Wish they made a 30Lext peninsula because I don’t have room for an EXT with rear external overflo.

I am definitely glad I found this gem :) I think they discontinued it less than a year ago. They have some really sharp tanks. Have you looked into any other brands? Also that sump looks great, I am not crazy about the sump I have right now. The bubble trap isn't sufficient imo.

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at many different brands. The matching apc stands are what really sold me on the IM. Most of the other leading brands have stands that match but are made of less durable materials. The Bashsea sump has 3 pieces of some kind of mesh just before the pump chamber that really stops the bubbles! The one I have is 30”Lx10”Wx 14” H. I have not put it in the stand yet but should be perfect!

OP
OP
spideybry

spideybry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at many different brands. The matching apc stands are what really sold me on the IM. Most of the other leading brands have stands that match but are made of less durable materials. The Bashsea sump has 3 pieces of some kind of mesh just before the pump chamber that really stops the bubbles! The one I have is 30”Lx10”Wx 14” H. I have not put it in the stand yet but should be perfect!

Jealous, that thing looks like a beast - ideal dimensions imo. What's the plan for it - fuge or skimmer? Also, do you have a build thread going anywhere? I'd love to follow along.

This is my sump with everything else in there at the moment. It was a perfect fit as well, just hate the bubble trap lol.

IMG_9948.JPG

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the Bashsea sump is very nice-well made and looks cool too- there is one size smaller- same 10” width but 24L rather than 30. Do not have build thread yet but plan to start one soon! your sump looks nice-but I can see how bubbles can get through to pump chamber. That skimmer is really pulling out some crud! This is mine so far... ignore the fake corals- they are just place holders. Have a few more pieces of live rock coming!
0C8AF1A1-B61E-470D-A774-0E4616E2FDC4.jpeg

OP
OP
spideybry

spideybry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the Bashsea sump is very nice-well made and looks cool too- there is one size smaller- same 10” width but 24L rather than 30. Do not have build thread yet but plan to start one soon! your sump looks nice-but I can see how bubbles can get through to pump chamber. That skimmer is really pulling out some crud! This is mine so far... ignore the fake corals- they are just place holders. Have a few more pieces of live rock coming!
0C8AF1A1-B61E-470D-A774-0E4616E2FDC4.jpeg

I am digging the tank. Looking forward to seeing it fill up :) make sure to tag me when you get that started, really want to follow along. These APS stands are amazing, not gonna lie.

Did you make that net yourself btw? I am debating on putting a net on mine though nothing seems to want to jump yet...

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx- the mesh top came with the tank! The new tanks (AIO) ship with screen top that fits perfectly. Also comes with a nice dc controllable return pump! Will tag if I get build thread going- hopefully soon! I put a screen top on all my tanks-it detracts some from the looks- but I have lost fish in the past due to jumping. I have a flame hawk fish that I would never expect to jump out..........he has jumped out twice when I was doing tank maintenance with the top off. One time I saw him and put him right back in. The last time he jumped I did not see him jump. Was working on the tank which is on a countertop . Heard a soft rustling sound and looked behind the tank and there he was. He felt pasty not wet and I was sure he was dead. Threw him in the tank and he landed on a gyre wave pump. That must have moved some h2o\oxygen through his gills-he revived and is still doing well today 3 years later! I also have a trio of kamohara Blennies which are very jumpy!

OP
OP
spideybry

spideybry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx- the mesh top came with the tank! The new tanks (AIO) ship with screen top that fits perfectly. Also comes with a nice dc controllable return pump! Will tag if I get build thread going- hopefully soon! I put a screen top on all my tanks-it detracts some from the looks- but I have lost fish in the past due to jumping. I have a flame hawk fish that I would never expect to jump out..........he has jumped out twice when I was doing tank maintenance with the top off. One time I saw him and put him right back in. The last time he jumped I did not see him jump. Was working on the tank which is on a countertop . Heard a soft rustling sound and looked behind the tank and there he was. He felt pasty not wet and I was sure he was dead. Threw him in the tank and he landed on a gyre wave pump. That must have moved some h2o\oxygen through his gills-he revived and is still doing well today 3 years later! I also have a trio of kamohara Blennies which are very jumpy!

Yeah, there are certain fish which are known jumpers/spear fish lol. Those longnose hawks def are in that category, cool fish though either way. Glad he is alive and well.

Looking forward to seeing the thread :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back