• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

SpideyBry's 30g Shallow Reef

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
I know there is a 30L thread. I have read it all. Don’t know how to post link to that thread.

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
The IM 25 lagoon is awesome. I love the depth of that tank. Really had hard time choosing between that and the 30L. Ended up with 30 because of space issues.

OP
spideybry

spideybry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
OP
spideybry

spideybry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Update - seems the tank is doing it's job and becoming a nitrate factory lol. I tested yesterday with a Red Sea test kit and was a bit surprised - No3 was around 20ppm or higher. Granted, I wasn't able to tell with any certainty that was the number because light really matters when reading the test kit. Either way, I'd rather err on the side of caution and start planning for when the nitrates really can become a problem

Really can't stand trying to decipher colors with test kits - Hanna needs to hurry up with those testers lol.

To deal with the current issue, did quick 5gal (12.5%) water change and tested again with two test kits. Many more water changes to come.

The next steps in the tank are to get something installed for nitrate reduction. I ordered a 3 reactor kit for nanos that will include a cheato reactor, a bio media reactor, and another small reactor for media of my choice.

This is how they will look when I get them installed -

I am leaning toward NPX Biopellets, I hear good things about it for what it does. The planned outlet is going to be right next to the protein skimmer intake.

Since the skimmer is working well and pulling some gunk, might as well put it to work :)

Here are the reactors I ordered.

Anyone's feed back on running bio rectors on smaller tanks is appreciated.

OP
spideybry

spideybry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So it is time for an update.

Unfortunately I find myself fighting back dinos. What I initially thought was cyano, turned out to be dinos I presume. I would go through the entire process of getting a microscope and trying to confirm, but at this point I am just going to go the route of the blanket method and do everything I can to fix things.

Here are some horrible photos (silver lining is that I am getting coralline growth):

Sad FTS atm..

After recently testing, I found my No3 to be down near 0 and my Po4 around .1 ish.

First course of action for me:
  1. Raise No3 a bit to at least 5ppm (I was using Purigen in preparation for a biopellet reactor so I am removing Purigen)
  2. Siphoning out all that I can daily
  3. Dip zoa frags that are covered in dinos and showing signs of being stressed
  4. Dosing Microbacter 7 + Vibrant
  5. Look into potentially H202 dosing
  6. Get carbon into a reactor
  7. Lower light intensity

On the flip side, I do have some good news. There is a happy new addition to the tank - a mystery wrasse along with a bunch of new frags. Here are the "nice photos".

Also I do have some signs of growth, some zoas are popping off new heads and my duncan coral is showing considerable growth.

This was the duncan on 9/20:

The duncan today (9/27):

Currently I am reeling and trying to absorb all the info I can to help fight the dinos, so any info is appreciated.

Oh, as a side note, I'll have to thank Tropic Marin USA for helping me out.

When I initially went to setup this tank, I went to my LFS and grabbed a 200g sack of what I thought was Tropic Marin Classic. After setting up the tank and getting everything situated, I noticed a couple weeks ago that I was chasing some numbers in terms of Alk/Calc/Mag. I decided to do a bit of research and found that my salt sack was actually Tropic Marin ZOO Mix... I do some research and can't find anything in writing online that breaks down the concentrations of this specific mix so I called up Tropic Marin USA. Turns out this specific mix was not to be sold for hobbyists to use (I guess if the system was large enough it'd be okay), and that this mix contains mag chips which - if used in a smaller mixing quantity - can be inconsistent.

So, PSA - make sure you get the right salt. Tropic Marin is thankfully helping me out and getting me a new bucket.

Last edited:
OP
spideybry

spideybry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Next update: Still fighting

I've since added a couple of things that I am doing to help fight off the dinos.

Currently, my no3 is very low - close to 0 (undetectable in my red sea kit) and Po4 is around .07.

That being said, I've decided to try dosing NeoNitro from Brightwell. I've also added a chaeto reactor to see if it can outcompete the dinos.

The things I am currently doing to help fight off the dinos:
  1. Trying to raise No3 to at least 5ppm (using NeoNitro and feeding a lot)
  2. Siphoning out all that I can daily into a filter sock and changing the filter sock daily
  3. Cleaning off zoa frags with a turkey baster that are covered in dinos and showing signs of being stressed
  4. Dosing Microbacter 7 (stopped dosing Vibrant since I don't want to hurt my chaeto.
  5. Starting dosing H202 3%, 4ml a day (yesterday 10/10/2020)
  6. Running carbon reactor
  7. Lower light intensity
  8. Raise temperature to 80°
  9. Added a UV sterilizer
Here is a FTS from 10/10/2020:

Duncan Coral Progression Shot:

Annoying trying to read pink on this kit:

Dirty Unorganized Sump Pic:

Chaeto Reactor Growth Progression:

If anyone can suggest anything else to help fight dinos, please chime in - I think last resort is going to be a blackout for 3 days. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but who knows smh.

Would you be shocked by today's reefing hobby if you had just returned after a long period of time?

• Yes (tell us why in the thread)

Votes: 155 52.7%
  • No

Votes: 52 17.7%
  • Somewhat

Votes: 83 28.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 1.4%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors