You probably haven't seen these before. Maroon and Ocellaris babies!

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a year and a half ago, I met someone who was getting out of the hobby and was selling his fish. He said he had a pair of clowns that were laying eggs. I asked him what type and he said a maroon and oscillaris. Of course I thought he was mistaken. He sent me a picture of his two clowns and I liked what I saw.
photo3-2_zpsc8f24216.jpg

I still didn't know if he was telling the truth but I bought them based on the fact that a maroon and oscilalris were in the same tank and hadn't killed each other. That intrigued me lol.

Here they were in their new home
IMG_2407.jpg

I put them on a heavy feeding regimine and tried to keep the conditions as stable as possible. There was no change for a while but in a little over a month, I found these..
IMG_6208.jpg

What makes this pair so special is the pairing. I have seen the result of a male oscillaris and female maroon. Proaquatix had them in a one-time-only batch a few years ago and named them cocoa clowns. I believe this was the result of an accident. More than one type of clown in the same fish system where cross fertilization occurred.

The fact that the male is a maroon is pretty incredible. Why this pairing shouldn't work is that the maroon will inevitably outgrow the oscillaris and turn into a female, at which point she will kill the female oscillaris. This oscillaris has managed to keep the male feeling like a man for 3 years now.

I waited through a few batches to do some research and get myself set up to start making attempts at the fry. When I started, I struggled mightily to get the fry to survive. A lot of trial and error went into this. For some reason, I could not get the fry to live past 5 days. I tried everything. On top of it all, this pair is a very sporadic producer. Right now for instance, they are in the middle of a 4 month dry spell.

I turned to a friend of mine, a very knowledgeable breeder in the Orlando area, Iggy Gallarza, known as ignatz on some of the forums. He took a batch of eggs and found success! Not only did the fry survive past meta, I would say he achieved an 70-80% survival rate! Friggin incredible:xd:

So here we are, 90 days later. I suppose I should reveal the babies:tongue:
Coccoas_zps6f13ef15.jpg

You can see the Maroon eyes and stripe, shape of the oscillaris and the color ranges from reddish brown to red. You can also see the black starting to come in on the fins.

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow very cool!

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right... I haven't seen those before. Congrats and good luck with the fry. I'm interested to see how these progress.

Neon Reef

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
amazing what can happen in our tiny glass boxes. nature is incredible. thanks for taking the time to document and share the pics with us.

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
amazing what can happen in our tiny glass boxes. nature is incredible. thanks for taking the time to document and share the pics with us.
You are quite welcome. It has been a fascinating journey.

caudill187

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job! Thanks for sharing the pics. I wonder what their temperament will be and if they will be fertile. Time will tell, I suppose. Congrats!

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool! Thank you for sharing! Like caudill 187 I am very curious to learn what their temperament will be and whether or not they are fertile. You will have to keep us updated :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 63 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back