Can an anemone morph or change colors due to being housed with dif color anemones?

CRW Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what those whom own or have owned anemones think as to wether or not anemones can morph colors/appearance or take on traits of different anemones of a different color. Is it possible for anemones to change from one color or multi colors to a different color or several different colors? Does keeping several different types of anemones together run the risk of color or trait swapping? Can housing several of one type and smaller numbers of a different type result in a color changing or morphong of the smaller numbered ones?

Throwing this out there for thought......is it possible for anemones to swap zooxanthellae and result in morphing?

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The zoox isn't what gives the anemones their color. It is going to be shades of golden brown, and not red, blue, green, etc.

All things being equal, having a green S. haddoni in the same tank as a blue isn't going to change either one's color, they will stay the same color.

An older picture...
These 2 were together for at least 2 years, their colors never shifted,

FTS19_24_8.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back