The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am in the process of a 150g build, and want to know about the need for a lid if I were to have several wrasse in the tank. Is a lid necessary? Should I be concerned about heat, lightging, or other issues if I do use a lid? If so, what steps can I take to address those? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of a 150g build, and want to know about the need for a lid if I were to have several wrasse in the tank. Is a lid necessary? Should I be concerned about heat, lightging, or other issues if I do use a lid? If so, what steps can I take to address those? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

A cover is absolutely necessary. The BRS 1/4" mesh screening is the way to go as it does allow airflow and impact on light penetration is negligible. And while it seems impossible, many wrasses can find a way thru 1/2" egg crate.

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BRS sells a screen kit to contain jumpers, right now I use egg crate/ light diffuser

Thanks for the feedback!

A cover is absolutely necessary. The BRS 1/4" mesh screening is the way to go as it does allow airflow and impact on light penetration is negligible. And while it seems impossible, many wrasses can find a way thru 1/2" egg crate.

Thank you very much for the info. Seems like the mesh screening is what I will use!

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Absolutely agree! They will find a way in even less than 1/2".

Djbrandriff150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lineatus jumped thru my egg-crate and was cooked under the light! I am changing mine over to a screen also. Just couldn't bring my self to share it yet. Was so ******

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1422899540.248766.jpg

My new little Blue Star leopard boy took only a short 2 day nap and has been out eating like a champ

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My Lfs by me have a beauty full pin tail wrasse that I love but I have a pair of Johnson's and the coloring and strips are identical for the exception of the tail. Does sny one have them together and if so csn you pls give me your input

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the anampses hard to keep? Do they accept frozen food well, and are they compatable with Mystery Wrasse?
Thanks, Lisa
Yes, in that they do not ship well, take some time to adapt to captivity, and are very active (ie - needs many feedings per day). I would not pair one with a mystery; wrasses of the Pseudocheilinus genus don't really mix well with other wrasses.

My Lfs by me have a beauty full pin tail wrasse that I love but I have a pair of Johnson's and the coloring and strips are identical for the exception of the tail. Does sny one have them together and if so csn you pls give me your input
They're in the same complex, so there is a bit of risk. I have 3 johsoni's alongside a pintail, and the pintail does get bullied a bit from time to time, but nothing which really concerns me. You will absolutely need to use an acclimation box if you give it a go.

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you hunter. I am crazy about the pintails but at the same time scared that Iiloose my johnsons. I'll might pass but it's good to know. I just got a juvenile lennardi and I thought my feminines will go after him and the amazing thing is they get along just fine but my cleaner wrasse is harassing him like crazy.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another experience for you to consider. I have a pintail with a pair of johnsoni. The pintail has always been slightly larger than the male johnsoni and he is definitely the boss. He is downright mean some evenings forcing both johnsoni into hiding. But man does he look good flashing. As the johnsoni are growing, they are holding their own a bit better. I suspect it purely a function of individual aggressiveness and size.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a pintail, johnsoni and a cf. lunatus together. The pintail is boss but they all get along fine, just a little chasing here and there.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys see the M. vivienne on DD today? So tempting but I decided to stick to one species of leopard. The anampses lineatus is calling my name too but unfortunately QT has too many wrasses in it already.

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another experience for you to consider. I have a pintail with a pair of johnsoni. The pintail has always been slightly larger than the male johnsoni and he is definitely the boss. He is downright mean some evenings forcing both johnsoni into hiding. But man does he look good flashing. As the johnsoni are growing, they are holding their own a bit better. I suspect it purely a function of individual aggressiveness and size.
Thank you im tempted.

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a pintail, johnsoni and a cf. lunatus together. The pintail is boss but they all get along fine, just a little chasing here and there.
Thank you im tempted but dont know if im ready for the heart abuse till they settle down lol

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do; it's so tempting but I'm having a hard time justifying it...

I feel the same way, I understand they come Africa and am willing to pay a premium for that just like the Aussie fish but it seems anything stamped Mauritius these days is crazy priced. I also know the only reason I even get to think about buying it is that reason too though. If it was reasonable it would've been gone in less than a second. Do you still have your Mauritius flasher?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had one. Jim did but it only made it 2 years. Not sure if Kevin still has his stunner or not; I know it was getting bullied by one of the Angels a while back.

oh207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wrasse tank

My wrasse tank

[video=youtube_share;jz97bUvNwYQ]http://youtu.be/jz97bUvNwYQ[/video]

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%

Back