Bayer insecticide as a coral dip

Javsku

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great information, I have always used Coral RX but I am going to start using Bayer. I just purchased the exact bottle that's on the first page from Lowes today. I have acros arriving on Thursday and I will be using this on them.

Chris155hp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Love the bayer did and will never use anything else for 99% of my dips. A word of cation tho. Acropora hyacinthus DO NOT LIKE THIS DIP!!! DO NOT DIP Acropora hyacinthus IN BAYER!!! you will loose your frags. For hyacinthus I use the reef specific dips (coral rx or revive)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I Love the bayer did and will never use anything else for 99% of my dips. A word of cation tho. Acropora hyacinthus DO NOT LIKE THIS DIP!!! DO NOT DIP Acropora hyacinthus IN BAYER!!! you will loose your frags. For hyacinthus I use the reef specific dips (coral rx or revive)

I have to say. I have dipped many a hyacinth and have not had any issues.

Seems very odd that a specific type of acro does poorly. Was your frag healthy to begin with?

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Chris155hp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes very. it was about 5x5 inches table and was only able to save a 1 inch frag. the other was a well encrusted frag. i have seen a good number of posts stating hyacinthus sensitive to the bayer. idk if this is every ones experiences has been the same as mine but going off MY past experiences. But its interesting your true tables do well. well have to investigate further. do a quick google search of bayer dip hyacinthus and you'll see the other posts.
I have to say. I have dipped many a hyacinth and have not had any issues.

Seems very odd that a specific type of acro does poorly. Was your frag healthy to begin with?

Last edited by a moderator:

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Odd for sure. I may have to experiment just a little. Sorry to hear your tables did so poorly.

Reefermadness73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip everything in bayer... Never had any problems with stress or losing a frag. To tell u the truth I don't even measure the amount I use I just pour it in till the water is milky white and let it sit for 15 min then rinse for 5 min and everything seems to do just fine

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer success here too. I use at least 10 ml per cup but usually more- up to 10 ml per half cup- always a 10 min soak. Never had a frag die or seem stressed due to the dip. In my "display" frag tank i have dipped a little over 100 frags including deepwaters from many sources and the system is pest free. I LOVE bayer. cant speak for softies or lps as i only have acros but it definitley works great for acros.

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer success here too. I use at least 10 ml per cup but usually more- up to 10 ml per half cup- always a 10 min soak. Never had a frag die or seem stressed due to the dip. In my "display" frag tank i have dipped a little over 100 frags including deepwaters from many sources and the system is pest free. I LOVE bayer. cant speak for softies or lps as i only have acros but it definitley works great for acros.
At that concentration which version of Bayer are you using?

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about open brains and rainbow wellso???

I think most discussions and experiences are limited to SPS. However, I have dipped lobos, chalices , pectinia, duncans and trumpets without issue (basically everything in my tank). Brains and wellso, I do not believe to be known as pest infected per se. However, anything can bring a hitchhiker with it. So based on my bias alone and my incredible paranoia, I literally dip everything. Wish I had more information (knowledge, scientific or otherwise) to share with you.

SunCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm because I picked one up tonight and I am debating. Maybe I still just coral rx it...

Shadow1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can assure you that at a rate of 200 ml to 1 gallon saltwater it will kill AEFW and monti eating nudis, it will not kill eggs. My 300 wound up with both in it took 8 weeks of dipping every 5 days 15 min per dip. Rinse twice 15 min each. No more bugs no more pods either. They have since rebounded. I dip everything even LPS wih no issues at all. But all new corals go in qt till I am sure eggs are gone if there are any

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look, I am a bayer enthusiast (no, I do not own their stock!!) because of its apparent effectiveness. You'll probably upset the brain and wellso irregardless of dipping method. I still think Bayer is the way to go, but no fun killing a new coral should that happen (which I do not think likely but things do go wrong sometimes) Good luck with it.

The major bugs seem to be red bugs, flatworms (AEFW), montipora eating nudibranches, and zoa spiders. Those as far as I know have not really been reported on brains and such but who knows. And eggs are usually found around site of infection which means AEFW eggs around infected SPS, for montipora eating nudibranches would be around montis, and I do not know if zoa spider have eggs and forgot about red bugs eggs or not.

Bottomline, you should inspect everything carefully for both infestation and eggs. Eggs and pests can end up in strange places, just because! You should qt everything. And for me, dip everything in Bayer.

kj2008

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And for me, dip everything in Bayer.

Hey, I've used Bayer to kill aefw on SPS but haven't tried it with chalices and scolys. Have you tried it? Fully realizing that it's "trial and error" but are there any corals too sensitive for Bayer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Summary, in case there was some confusion​

1.) Remove frag from plug or rock and observe the frag for eggs or anything unusual, if in doubt, get rid of the frag. No frag is worth the contamination. Bayer insecticide does not kill AEFW eggs
2.) Dip 5-15 minutes at 10ml of Bayer Insecticide per 1/2 cup of tank water, rinse in clean cup of tank water once or twice afterwards to remove residue Bayer
3.) It is an insecticide, be safe and utilize appropriate precautions. Don't smell, taste or touch the insecticide and use a well ventilated room.
4.) Only use the following pictured Bayer Insecticide for this procedure at these recommended dosages
5.) Two fellow reefers, Whisperer and Flamron, are remarkable for their contribution and should be commended for their breakthrough

KYLECT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used this method on brains, wellsos and scolys with no problems at all, yeah they get ****** off a bit but back to normal in a couple days.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back