Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20140301_203727.jpg
20140301_212352.jpg
20140301_213358.jpg
20140303_200801.jpg
20140303_200808.jpg
Made a Lil progress on the stand this weekend.

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like open top, it looks good but you do get a lot of light polution in the room. A canopy would solve this issue but can drive up heat issues.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great! Welcome to R2R!

OP
OP
D

dsbud4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the open top look as well. But I think I'm leaning towards a canopy to try and hide some light in the room. I don't think heat will be an issue because the tanks going in the basement and it usually stays around 65 down there. I'm actually kinda worried about keeping it warm enough especially in the winter. Definitely gonna need some good heaters.

OP
OP
D

dsbud4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still lots of loose ends but I'll get there!!! Saturday is the big day, moving the tank to the basement. So excited!!! So is the wife she will finally get her spot back in the garage.

Frattoniser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool just showed the wife she said NO! :(
Don't they all nearly? :D Mine did but once it was all set up and running she then took an interest and actually paid for a few fish, though one of them was a mandarin which we've had now for over a year and is thriving well, must be due to the amount of copepods that are breeding well in the tank, all naturally as I have done nothing to encourage them!

Xingu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the lights you used in the stand? That is a very clean installation and it has given me some ideas for my new build.

I wonder if the tank/stand manufactures understand how many additional stands they could sell if they built them 9" to 12" taller.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build, And nice tank! You can also build a skirt canopy where there is no lid, and hang your light pendant from the ceiling to just inside the skirt. This will greatly reduce the light scatter and allow the heat to go up and out. Also prevents anything from jumping out.

OP
OP
D

dsbud4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the lights you used in the stand? That is a very clean installation and it has given me some ideas for my new build.

I wonder if the tank/stand manufactures understand how many additional stands they could sell if they built them 9" to 12" taller.

Thank you. They are Sylvania outdoor LED lights, so hopefully they will hold up to the salt. Your spot on with the stands if they made them 12"-24" taller they would sell triple the stands!!

OP
OP
D

dsbud4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build, And nice tank! You can also build a skirt canopy where there is no lid, and hang your light pendant from the ceiling to just inside the skirt. This will greatly reduce the light scatter and allow the heat to go up and out. Also prevents anything from jumping out.
Thank you. I like that idea of a skirt for a top. I'm wondering how hard it will be to get in the tank with a skirt though since I made the stand so tall. Just found some tanks online that have canopy skirts they look good! I guess I will have to get the tank on the stand and see what kind of room I'm going to have.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with stand heights. Mine is sitting on a 42" stand and gives me plenty of room underneath for stack sumps.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1399643155.090618.jpg

OP
OP
D

dsbud4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!! I like that!!! I wanted the room underneath for my skimmer and stuff, but mainly was tired of bending over 90° to look in my tank lol. I wanna look straight in it standing up. My friends say I'm going to regret it if I ever have to reach the bottom, but you have to use a ladder anyways so what's one my step up lol.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a big deal. I use an aqua tong most of the time and ladder if I need to get my hand all the way down for accuracy or puttying a coral.

OP
OP
D

dsbud4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm definitely gonna have to get a good set of tongs. What brand do you recommend?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back