As we are new to R2R, we thought we'd share our build.
Our current system has been up and running since May 1, 2011 and consists of a custom Marineland 300g deep dimension tank with a total system volume of 475g.
nt 1584 by terryl93, on Flickr
Custom 300g Marineland Deep Dimension Tank
Custom (approx) 70g shallow acrylic sump (dimensions: 48" x 24" x 14")
150g Rubbermaid stock vat
75g refugium/frag tank
Iwaki MD70RLT return pump
1/2 hp Tradewind chiller w/Panworld 50pxx pump
Super Reef Octopus 6000-SSS internal skimmer
Deltec AP851 Skimmer
GEO Calc RX
GEO KH RX
Phosban 550 RX (for GFO)
Phosban 550 RX (for GAC)
Tunze 7095 Controller
(4) Tunze 6055 Turbelle NanoStream pumps
(1) Tunze 6105 Turbell Stream
Reeflo Dart (3600gph) and Ocean Motion 4 for closed loop
Custom slide out aluminum light rack from eztube
(3) Lumenmax Elite Reflectors
(3) Lumatek 400w dimmable electronic ballasts currently running 400w Radiums
(2) VHO Super Actinics
(3) 12.5" Ecoxotic Royal Blue Stunner Strips w/reflectors (for dawn/dusk)
It is probably best to give some background on our journey to get to where we are today. This is our 2nd 300g tank. The first tank was installed in March of 2010. Less than 6 months later (Sep 13, 2011) the bottom seal ruptured and approximately 2 hours later, the tank was nearly drained.
We were fortunate to be home when it happened and were able to act quickly and managed to save everything except for 1 of our Borbonius anthias that had wedged into a crevasse in one of the rocks. By the time we discovered what had happened, the fish had been out of water too long.
Here's a picture taken just before the disaster:
The tank after it drained:
Our livestock, rock and sand in temporary housing:
Needless to say, the damage to our house was significant:
We were fortunate that one of our local reef club friends loaned us a 350g Oceanic tank and steel stand to temporarily house our livestock while we waited for a replacement tank. The tank was setup in our garage and we were able to connect it with our sump, refugium and chiller.
What we thought would be a 2 to 2.5 month wait on a replacement tank turned into 7 long, frustrating months. It was difficult to keep a stable environment in our garage for that length of time and we lost several harder to keep SPS colonies and fish. Amazingly, many of our older coral colonies thrived in the environment and most of our fish weathered the conditions well.
We were fortunate to be able to re-use the skin from the original stand with the new one we built:
Here's a pic after the counter tops were re-installed:
The replacement tank was installed in April and after 2 weeks of running, the custom center acrylic overflow designed, built and installed by Marineland peeled away from the silicon holding it to the glass on the left side (from top to about 2 inches from the bottom). Needless to say, it was not a pleasant situation. Easter weekend was spent preparing and moving all of our livestock, rock and sand to two stock vats in our garage. We did not have the luxury of being able to hook into our sump, refugium and chiller this go around and we had to use hang on turbo floater skimmers and magnum canisters to help with water quality. After the repair, we spent the following weekend moving everything back to the DT.
Thankfully, things have settled down over the past few months. We learned a lot of valuable lessons over the past year and have made many improvements to our system along the way. We'll stop here for now, but will post more on our back office shortly, so stay tuned...