The Big LED poll

Which brand LEDs do you prefer or currently using?

• Aqua Illumination

Votes: 58 10.5%
  • Acan Lighting

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • ATI LED Powermodule

Votes: 6 1.1%
  • Ecotech Marine

Votes: 105 19.0%
  • Ecoxotic LED Lighting

Votes: 12 2.2%
  • Giesemann LED Lighting

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • JBJ LED Lighting

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Innovative Marine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maxspect LED Lighting

Votes: 42 7.6%
  • Kessil LED Lighting

Votes: 70 12.7%
  • Vertex

Votes: 8 1.4%
  • Reef Brite LED

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • Orphek Aquarium LED

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • GHL Mitras LED

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • DIY

Votes: 69 12.5%
  • Pacific Sun

Votes: 9 1.6%
  • Reef Radiance

Votes: 41 7.4%
  • OceanRevive

Votes: 20 3.6%
  • Reef Breeders

Votes: 44 8.0%
  • EverGrow

Votes: 32 5.8%
  • Apollo

Votes: 7 1.3%

• Total voters

gobeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the Sunbrite F series. Don't like the user interface at all, tried to work with the vendor to improve things but he didn't understand what I was suggesting. It is the case of the developer not being a user of the product.

I've got my eyes on the New Aqua Illuminations but won't likely purchase til I upgrade my tank. I've got to figure out how to dial these in for SPS's, I'm still working hard on getting the hard stuff to grow.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are missing OceanRevive, EverGrow and Reef Breeders at least. You got all the big brand names though! Do you have something against less expensive led fixtures? :crossedlips:

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I <3 my Radions. The amount of control and programming interface is awesome.

Braver69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Pacific Sun Hyperion S 145W x4 on my tank. I would vote but Pacific Sun was not on your list. It's a great light especially if your considering ecotech, as they cost nearly the same.

OP
OP
Reefltx

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys for the votes/opinion, and yes I did forget to add a few other brands.

A little question, do you guys notice any "disco" lighting effect on the sand bed on these newer gen. leds fixtures? I remembering seeing Ecotech radion gen1 and the Maxspect razor in person, the lighting effect was pretty predominant. I was quite impressed with the Kessil a360w though, which showed no disco effect and the shimmering looked very nice.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys for the votes/opinion, and yes I did forget to add a few other brands.

A little question, do you guys notice any "disco" lighting effect on the sand bed on these newer gen. leds fixtures? I remembering seeing Ecotech radion gen1 and the Maxspect razor in person, the lighting effect was pretty predominant. I was quite impressed with the Kessil a360w though, which showed no disco effect and the shimmering looked very nice.

Could you define what you mean by "disco" lighting effect? I've herd it used to mean 'spot lighting' on the sand, and also for the colored shadow lines on the sand under rock or coral.

I think both are more common in tanks with less rockscape and more sand bottom. I have a rock wall from 8" off the front glass upthe back glass to near the waterline and I don't see any spot lighting and very little colored shadow lines. What I'm saying is I may have it, but it's far less obvious due to the lack of flat surfaces that would make the effects stand out more.

Alabamareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FYI, I had a PAR meter and traveled around my local areachecking several different light fixtures, MH, T5's, LED's, DIY... This is whatI found out, in a nut shell, MH are very strong and maintain PAR levels fromtop to bottom will little variance. I still think they are the industrystandard and some of the best tanks I've seen are lit with MH. T5's seem to bethe industry standard in Europe. Personally I think the Europeans are far aheadof us in this hobby and I read http://www.ultimatereef.net/you can look at their TOM's. LED's are of course the latest greatest but stillnot proven over a period of time. I've seen lots of fantastic results from alot of fixtures.
LED's vary in price as with any electronic gadget it's all in the quality ofthe build and the loyataly of customer service. The heat sink is also a bigfactor because heat is an LED's worst enemy. Next it's the type of LED's andoptics. This was a big difference in all the LED fixtures I checked. Lightspread was a big variance. Some fixtures literally had none. Very strong pardirectly under the light, only. Now this can be combated by raising yourfixture above your tank. The fixture I bought, as seen in my previous post, hassome good and points.
1. The quality of this fixture is almost unmatched
2. No optics. Manufacture recommendations 3-5 inches off the water surface andthis covers my tank, 24" wide, with no problem. Also if you have an opencanopy this great for viewing. I did not want a fixture that takes away from mydisplay with a blinding LED light.
3. Upgradability, only limited to the size light
4. Controllability, wireless controllability with the vlink that allows you tochange your light spectrum and about anything else you care to change. moonlighting, random clouds, sunrise, sunset from left to right or right to left,turn pads off and on, light preview, Name it and you can just about do it withthis light.
5. Cooling fans that are silent don't even think they have had to come on withmine yet.

The DIY fixtures are also good but IMO ifyour good with electronics I’d give it a go but I’d rather know an electronic engineerhas sat down and mapped out my fixture. I think you can save money with a DIYbut at the same time I think you can through a lot of money down the drain. Idid sit down and figure the cost of a DIY and by the time I built it and spentthe money and what to do if something goes wrong I come out better withspending the cash up front.

Personally if I were going not going to buyan LED fixture I’d go with MH and VHO combo. But for now I’m very happy withthe fixture I have.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If someone will post all the additions that need to be added to this poll, I will add them!

NC2WA

Angelfish Whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used rapidled.com and used 5w Crees for whites and 3w crees for blues to build my own for my office tank.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
List updated please vote!

OP
OP
Reefltx

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
List updated please vote!

I don't know if you got my pm but here was my list, but it's close enough, thanks!

Apollo Reef LED
Marineland LED
Nano Box Reef
OceanRevive
Pacific Sun
Reef Breeders
Reef Radiance
SunBrite

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back