New Member - First 3 Months with the Triton System

gvontz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reef keeping for about 20 years and have tried many approaches from deep sand beds, low nutrient systems with biopellets, bare bottom tanks, etc. In reading and learning about the Triton Method I was intrigued enough to take the plunge. Thought I would share my initial experience and see if others had any advice for what lies ahead.

I have 150 g DT with a 50 g refugium with chaetomorpha and red mangroves. I had my first Triton water analysis done on my tank prior to dosing the Triton Elementz. I had been using a very high quality salt mix and was doing water changes twice a month thinking my water parameters were pretty good. Wrong. Turns out my tank water was deficient in a lot of areas based on the Triton water analysis. I had assumed that with a high end salt mix and regular water changes that many of the macro and trace elements would be in good order.

To mix the Triton Elements I purchased four 12L home brewing jugs for mixing up the Triton Elements. I marked off the jugs at 10L (the final solution volume for the 4 Elementz). Pretty easy thereafter to simply put the container of each Triton Element (1,2,3a,3b) into their respective jugs and fill with RODI water to the 10L mark. I also bought 4 low profile 1 gal containers to fit under neath the DT and hold the Elementz for the dosing pump. Pleased to say that so far the Elementz have lasted much longer than I anticipated and suspect that one set will hold the tank for at least 3 if not 5 months.

Over the first few months I saw the alkalinity fluctuate as the tank adapted to the Elementz. In fact my second water test with Triton (6 weeks post initiation of Elementz) showed that there were still a few trace elements that were at a deficit based on what my SPS and LPS were consuming. I have since corrected the individual trace element deficits and in the ensuing 6 weeks have seen really good coral growth and coloration. I have quit using high capacity GFO as advised by Triton and for now algae is not a problem whatsoever. I would say the entire tank looks more balanced, stable with better growth and coloration. All of this is under LED lighting.

I don't miss the work and effort of water changes or the cost of buying premium salt mixes. I am going through fewer RODI supplies since my tank only needs top off water. So all in all I am very pleased 3 months into the system. It seems cost effective when I factor in the time saved from doing water changes, buying salt, testing and dosing CA and Mg and no trace elements to purchase. Will be eager to see how things look at the 6 month mark, but so far so good. Also should mention the Triton folks do a great job with getting the water analyses done and readily available on line in a couple of weeks.

Would welcome and suggestions or advice - happy to answer any questions on my end.

Greg

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Info thanks for sharing.

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 208

Robert_ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reef keeping for about 20 years and have tried many approaches from deep sand beds, low nutrient systems with biopellets, bare bottom tanks, etc. In reading and learning about the Triton Method I was intrigued enough to take the plunge. Thought I would share my initial experience and see if others had any advice for what lies ahead.

I have 150 g DT with a 50 g refugium with chaetomorpha and red mangroves. I had my first Triton water analysis done on my tank prior to dosing the Triton Elementz. I had been using a very high quality salt mix and was doing water changes twice a month thinking my water parameters were pretty good. Wrong. Turns out my tank water was deficient in a lot of areas based on the Triton water analysis. I had assumed that with a high end salt mix and regular water changes that many of the macro and trace elements would be in good order.

To mix the Triton Elements I purchased four 12L home brewing jugs for mixing up the Triton Elements. I marked off the jugs at 10L (the final solution volume for the 4 Elementz). Pretty easy thereafter to simply put the container of each Triton Element (1,2,3a,3b) into their respective jugs and fill with RODI water to the 10L mark. I also bought 4 low profile 1 gal containers to fit under neath the DT and hold the Elementz for the dosing pump. Pleased to say that so far the Elementz have lasted much longer than I anticipated and suspect that one set will hold the tank for at least 3 if not 5 months.

Over the first few months I saw the alkalinity fluctuate as the tank adapted to the Elementz. In fact my second water test with Triton (6 weeks post initiation of Elementz) showed that there were still a few trace elements that were at a deficit based on what my SPS and LPS were consuming. I have since corrected the individual trace element deficits and in the ensuing 6 weeks have seen really good coral growth and coloration. I have quit using high capacity GFO as advised by Triton and for now algae is not a problem whatsoever. I would say the entire tank looks more balanced, stable with better growth and coloration. All of this is under LED lighting.

I don't miss the work and effort of water changes or the cost of buying premium salt mixes. I am going through fewer RODI supplies since my tank only needs top off water. So all in all I am very pleased 3 months into the system. It seems cost effective when I factor in the time saved from doing water changes, buying salt, testing and dosing CA and Mg and no trace elements to purchase. Will be eager to see how things look at the 6 month mark, but so far so good. Also should mention the Triton folks do a great job with getting the water analyses done and readily available on line in a couple of weeks.

Would welcome and suggestions or advice - happy to answer any questions on my end.

Greg
If you don't mind me asking what salt were you using? I use a highend salt and am curious if I need to get a test done.

OP
OP
G

gvontz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been using Red Sea Pro and then went to HW Marine "Reefer" Mix. I think they are good salts but I was only dosing Ca and Alkalinity and no trace elements. So when I had Triton test my water it reflected probably 6 months of just water changes which showed a big gap in the target levels.

Robert_ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been using Red Sea Pro and then went to HW Marine "Reefer" Mix. I think they are good salts but I was only dosing Ca and Alkalinity and no trace elements. So when I had Triton test my water it reflected probably 6 months of just water changes which showed a big gap in the target levels.
Have you tried tropic marin?

OP
OP
G

gvontz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not. I hear good things about it. Not sure my tank's improvement is so much related to adding a broad spectrum of trace elements, but more so its having really constant and steady levels of all primary and trace elements. My dosing pump delivers 56 ml of each of the 4 Triton Elementz 12x day. I haven't seen my alkalinity fluctuate more than a few tenths of a point in a week.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's quite a bit. I'm at 168ml of each per day. I also split up my dosing every other hour for each part.

OP
OP
G

gvontz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry should have been clear - its 57ml total/day spread over 12 time points with the dosing pump. Said another way its 4.75ml at each dosing.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%

Back