Afternoon all. First month!!!

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using a bit of ready to reef and monitoring my levels. Testing twice a week at the minute. Only had the torches 3 days and trying to learn what the will consume and how quickly.
Torches are finicky but not resource hogs. Not a great first coral but low maintenance/overhead.

OP
OP
G

Gavin Noy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torches are finicky but not resource hogs. Not a great first coral but low maintenance/overhead.
Never been so worried. First night one closed up at 7pm and that got me worried. Second night the other one spat a load of brown gunge out its mouth. Read it was due to too much light so today i have reduced the lighting by 4 hours and purchased a timer. Lights are usually 7am to 8pm. Now they will be on at 11am and off at 8pm. And will increase it every 2 weeks by 30 mins until they are on 10 hours.

Attachments

• IMG_5768.jpeg
    IMG_5768.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 23

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never been so worried. First night one closed up at 7pm and that got me worried. Second night the other one spat a load of brown gunge out its mouth. Read it was due to too much light so today i have reduced the lighting by 4 hours and purchased a timer. Lights are usually 7am to 8pm. Now they will be on at 11am and off at 8pm. And will increase it every 2 weeks by 30 mins until they are on 10 hours.

Don’t get caught up too much on all that. I usually place new coral lower in the tank over adjusting lights. Once your tank is populated adjusting the lights for one new coral won’t really be an option. At least that’s my methodology. Find your own and understand you will kill stuff. It happens when you’re new.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Afternoon all. Brand new to saltwater aquariums. Just a general question about water changes. I have a Fluval evo 13.5 setup. Live rock, live sand, some media from the setup the rock was in.

2 baby clown fish, 2 x hermits, 1 turbo snail. Ran with those for a couple of weeks, now i have 2 small torch corals and a zoa frag.

Absolutely loving it so far. Obsessed with it.

Peramiters are-
Salinity 35 / 1.026
phosp 0
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0
Kh ak 9.3
mg 1290
calc 400
ph 8.4 ish dark green on the salifurt kit.

running floss in the 3d printed cage in section one, section 2 has the standard carbon and ceramic bio with a bag of bioballs under that.

The question…… Should i water change every week even if everything is running ok? Im trying to get my nitrates up a bit for the torch corals. Also im trying to settle them in for as long as possible before messing with the tank. Been adding 2ml of ready to reef every 4 days for a month.

any opinions and input more than welcome at this stage still watching videos and reading every day.
Let water test and fish behavior determine needs for water changes. Start biweekly and increase or decrease need for water changes accordingly

OP
OP
G

Gavin Noy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t get caught up too much on all that. I usually place new coral lower in the tank over adjusting lights. Once your tank is populated adjusting the lights for one new coral won’t really be an option. At least that’s my methodology. Find your own and understand you will kill stuff. It happens when you’re new.
Good point. Im running the stock light so its either on or off when on a timer so trying not to bleach my torches. Or even worse kill them. So when the final times are set any new corals will have to like it or lump it.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, glad you are here! That brown stuff was more than likely feces. They only have one opening that they take in and expel from. In a nano tank, just my opinion, I would do a weekly 10% water change ( not a big deal in that size tank) and increase feeding to get nitrates up.

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard !! I debated the Evo 13.5 but went with the 5g to conserve counter space. Not sure if that was the right call or not but it has been working well so far. Did you have pics?

Attachments

• 20231021_142245.jpg
    20231021_142245.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 22
  • Reef 2 reef_20231005_074238_0000.png
    Reef 2 reef_20231005_074238_0000.png
    1,018.3 KB · Views: 16

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back