Cheetofinger's 5 gallon Ecopico 2

cheetofingers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having some growing pains in my Ecopico a couple of months ago and have been thinking about a new tank. The post about this competition made me decide that it was the best time to start it, and now I almost ran too late! The previous tank was up for almost 3 years and the once frags had grown out and started to fight and kill each other for space. So, I decided to restart the tank and keep only acans and palys in it.

The original had sprung a small leak, and when I contacted Ecoxotic, they were nice enough to send me a replacement tank. So technically, the tank didnt cost me anything. I have since patched the original with some silicone to hold up while I sell off the livestock. Here is a shot of both tanks...

mqqXvXB.jpg

I then cut out a piece of cardboard the dimensions of the tank and started to arrange some dry rock that I had lying around. My last tank had too many interlocking pieces, and it was a pain to arrange anything in the tank. I wanted to go with 2 or 3 pieces at the most, so that it would be very simple. I took the large piece and banged it around on the sidewalk for a while, trying to get a good shape. I was happy with the big piece, because it has a large cylindrical gap in the back of the rock, which can be used to help hide the heater. Here is the only pic I managed to take of the experimental aquascaping process:

iH0c43W.jpg

Since then, I taped off the tank and painted the back glass panel black. I used a can of Plasti-dip. Im not sure if other hobbyists have used the stuff before, but I decided to give it a try since any paint I have used before has peeled at the top of the tank, due to the inevitable salt creep. On this new tank, Im going to build a free standing light fixture, to minimize things hanging on the tank, and therefore the salt creep.

Here are some pics of the tank cycling: (about 3 weeks into a cycle)

vdirgYK.jpg

n5TZJnk.jpg

Once the tank is done cycling, I will add the sand from the previous tank, allow it to sit for a couple days while I retest the water, and then add any of the corals I wish to keep from my last setup :)
Thanks for looking!

OP
OP
C

cheetofingers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I finally got the old tank sold! I moved whatever I was keeping to the new tank, and started gluing my frags. Im still using the current setup on the lights (10 ecoxotic Ecopico strips) BUT, my Radion Xr15w and reeflink should be here tomorrow! :)

Here is the rock and sand moved over...
72BKT5f.jpg

Here's an actinics only shot of the corals from the last tank that made the cut...
3mrOxN8.jpg

Time to get to the gluin'... (I bought this glue for this tank a long time ago, and it was very runny. I shook the bottle like crazy, and it became a gel again... so... take note reefers lol)

8QE7RBt.jpg

And here's the current FTS

vO0J6z5.jpg

I eventually plan on buying a smaller heater that can hide behind the rocks completely... but after spending $500 on Ecotech stuff, I'm broke lol.

Thanks for looking! Im going to make a mount for my Radion using some laboratory hardware as soon as I get the lights in tomorrow.

OP
OP
C

cheetofingers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I will be getting rid of the rock in the middle of the two larger pieces, for simplicity and aesthetics. It was just easier to move the meteor shower frags that that piece for the time being lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cheetofingers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got my Radion Xr15w and reeflink in. I wanted to tear my hair out setting up the reeflink, because it just wouldnt work. Turns out, they were having server issues, and once that was resolved the reeflink setup was cake. Then... I noticed that a fin on the fan of my Radion was broken. Thanks a lot UPS. I contacted the retailer, and I'll wait and see whats up with a replacement. What a bummer. I guess this gives me time to work on the stand i'll be making for the Radion so that it's not hanging off the back of the tank (and also not the RMS' $90).

More pics to come.

OP
OP
C

cheetofingers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO, my dad came through and made some awesome, simple mounts for my Radion. I got my replacement Radion, and I bolted everything into place and fired it up... and I LOVE IT haha. Here's some quick update pics:

WzssAWO.jpg

mG2SZE9.jpg

Im planning on taking the mount apart to spray paint it all a glossy (or maybe matte? any input would be welcome) black, waiting for it to dry and zip-tying the cable to the arm so it's sleeker. Then, I plan on getting a much shorter heater that will completely hide behind the rock work and make this tank look as clean as possible. What do you guys think?? I need some feedback! :)

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back