If you could give one piece of advice to somebody just starting out, what would it be?

footballdude2k3

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are always a ton of people that come on here, saying how excited they are and looking for things that will help them out, I figured between all of us, that we could come up with a thread to point them to, where they could learn from all of our mistakes. If you have more than one thing, you can obviously share it, but if we could come up with one good piece from almost everybody on here, I thought we could have a massive amount of great information in one place.

For me, I would say always buy the first setup used, it will save you money on a very expensive hobby that you might not want to be involved with in a short period of time, and you can always get some really nice deals on tanks with some decent equipment.

Second, when you are first starting, do no over complicate things, there are enough basic things to learn at first, wait until later to get creative and complex.

JOSE CASAS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say "you would have more success if you ask research, research, ask and research".

triggerlovr1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be patient! Don't rush the process and chose tank manners wisely. No body wants to waste money by losing fish to an I cycled tank or returning fish that don't for the setup you had in mind. Once the tank is established and your at capacity for how many fish you can have its best to have things you truly love in a good bacteria filled system as opposed to having to move rocks and fish out problems whether they be fish or nuisance

Sent from my iPhone using REEF2REEF --Ashley

triggerlovr1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many auto corrections from my phone! Tank mates not manners. Uncycled not I cycled. " Fit" not "for" just to point out a few. Stupid phone sorry- hope it made somewhat a bit of sense for the newbs

Sent from my iPhone using REEF2REEF --Ashley

gacolt

JEEP STUFF
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are tons of things i would say and have said but it seems to always fall on deaf ears.i guess start off small and cheap and if you still like the hobby in 12months upgrade to what you want long term

gacolt

JEEP STUFF
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's another piece of advice i would give buy lots of books and be wary of internet advice.lol

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AUTO TOP OFF!
By far I feel this has made me more successful than any other piece of equipment. Automation is fine some automate everything others no so much but the replacement of evaporation on a constient basis will go farther than other auto devices IMO.
to gibe more than 1 would be to echo research and but quality equipment

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PATIENCE
Only bad things happen quickly in this hobby, all good things take time.

#2 is Water Quality. Water is the single largest ingredient in a reef system and everything depends on its quality AND its stability. Start from day one with RO/DI or distilled water and never look back.

reeffirstaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go diving

when you see a coral reef in the wild, you inevitably learn how reef eco-systems function, with all things working in unison. A successful reef, must function the same, from inhabitants, on down to filtration.

also remember, you are really keeping water

BrittaniPearl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't stock what other people think is "cool" or " impressive". Stock what you think you'll enjoy (within reason of course)

h2oraven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep a record of you water test results. It may help to see how your tank is progressing. Try not to make too many changes at one time. Patience!

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask one person who's been reefing (addicted) for at least 5yrs to sponsor you. Explain to them your looking for someone to guide you through your first year.
It was the best thing I ever did....5yrs ago :)

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go slow and be patient; all that time waiting is well spent researching and learning.

Preyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ LOL.... Do not cycle your tank with damselfish. You will never be able to get rid them.....

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back