If you could give one piece of advice to somebody just starting out, what would it be?

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask one person who's been reefing (addicted) for at least 5yrs to sponsor you. Explain to them your looking for someone to guide you through your first year.
It was the best thing I ever did....5yrs ago :)

Pretty much great idea. Takes a year just to get your brain wrapped around what you really need and what's a waste of money! Than you find something else to waste money on lol.

TheClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seriously underestimated how much phosphate 'used' live rock can hold. Acid bath and lanthium chloride to get the phosphates down before putting used rock in your tank. Otherwise there is a distinct possibility you will be fighting phosphates for a while! Been there done that.. hated it!

The buddy/mentor/sponsor though is the ultimate advice. If they have a nice tank, just do what they tell you. Then after your tank is also successful, try funky new stuff. Stick with the proven, explore once your tank is a true success.

Eric N

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Research and think. There's a saying: "Two weeks in the lab can save you from two hours in the library". Other people have paved the way for you and left volumes of knowledge and advice. Use it.

I have to give 2 pieces, but it's a reason for researching.

These are animals with basic needs, and they will compete for their niche and break the rules of proper behavior.

r0vak1026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read, research and most importantly do not rush stocking the tank most important key to success without all the headachs, loss of money and marine life is patients, more patients than what you already think you have.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
QUARANTINE EVERYTHING WITHOUT EXCEPTION from large fish down to a small hermit crab and everything in between. this may the the single most fundamental recipe for long term success.

bloopergrooper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do your research, don't go cheap - you'll be better off and save money in the long run, don't be afraid to ask questions, there are no stupid questions, don't always trust any random dude at your LFS, just because they can scrub algae doesn't mean they know reefs, start fish only and work your way up, otherwise you'll have a bunch of dead corals on your hands, don't take shortcuts, cycle your tank properly, don't skip water changes and keep a consistent feeding/lighting schedule (fish and corals like routines, too you know). Share your tank, photograph it, enjoy it.

TommyP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't tell your significant other how much you spend on coral or fish. Always knock at least half off!

Patience, Patience, Patience.

This hobby ain't cheap. Don't get the knock off brand, save up for the real deal (you'll eventually want it anyway) and you won't have to spend $ twice.

JDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Receive a Ph.D (Doctor of Philosophy) in Ichology! FWB (fresh water bath) does not work! QT (quarantine tank) does!

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice would be to sit down and create a list of the fish you want in your tank and add them in the correct order to minimize aggression or o determine if they are even compatible to your end result in the tank.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if possible, join a local reef club. I really think it's so helpful if you can find a trustworthy LFS. A local reef club can help with that.

I love the advice of never putting in a damsel - that is actually great advice! I also love the advice of finding someone to mentor you - that is a fantastic idea!

As others have said, use RO/DI water from the get go and read, read, read, and read some more! Research the basics of a set up and then start a journal of what you'd like to keep. that can help you do focused research.

mfief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't panic if something is going wrong. Take it slow do your research and be methodical.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back