AC is out and hot tank...

Jblakeman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My a/c went out on Monday. I have two 75 gallon mixed reef tanks. Their temp has been rising steadily since Monday. Yesterday they were around 86 degrees. When I got home today the tank with the T5's was at 87.9. Obviously I'm concerned for the fish and corals I have. My a/c was fixed today and the temp in my house is dropping.

Question is, how fast is too fast to drop the temp? Is putting a frozen jug of water in the sump cooling it too quickly? Should I just let the a/c do it's thing over the next couple of days?

Also, I found this goop in the sump. Both are snot like in consistency. The white one was in my skimmer chamber, I'm assuming it's the same as the goop that looks like snot but trapped some of the micro bubbles from the sump. Is this stuff from the heat in the tank? Is it algae? Should I do any type of water change? Should I just leave it?

Any advice would be appreciated.

image.jpg

alan.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bring back the temp slowly you are ok. wc also help

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can set your Ac to your normal temperature it will take a few hours to bring the house temp down. The frozen jug of water isn't a bad idea just be sure to keep an eye on your temp so it doesn't drop too fast.

leadsinker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i freeze 20 oz plastic soda bottles with water ,float in sump. Remember water will expand a bit, freeze with cap loose , then tight cap before floating.

OP
OP
Jblakeman

Jblakeman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. The house and tank are back to normal now. I kept 3 fans on my T5 tank and used a frozen jug to bring the temp down. My LED tank didn't seem as affected as the T5 tank. I just used a frozen jug on that one and it came down a little easier than the other. Everyone seems happy in both tanks now.

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks everyone. The house and tank are back to normal now. I kept 3 fans on my T5 tank and used a frozen jug to bring the temp down. My LED tank didn't seem as affected as the T5 tank. I just used a frozen jug on that one and it came down a little easier than the other. Everyone seems happy in both tanks now.

Awesome. Glad everything worked out for the better!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back