New to anemone, is this condy healthy?

reptileguy112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to pick up a zoa frag and a green tip condy (some of its tips are pink). When I got it it was fine but it is not attaching to any rocks even when I hold it to one for a minute. Last night it looked super dead, this morning it looked fine and right now it looks dead. It is constantly changing and I want to know what you guys think I should do. It has this pink thing poking out, I think its his mouth.
IMAG3632.jpg

cdangel0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it's acclimating to me.

When you add an anemone to a new environment they will all do the same thing - they will deflate, and reinflate themselves several times. They're trying to find an equilibrium between their internal water and the tank water they're now in. It's all perfectly normal behavior.

Often times they will require a few days to begin to settle down and find a place in the tank they like - keep in mind - it's almost never going to be where you want it to be. They will float or walk around until they find just the right temperature, light, and flow to keep them happy. They may also move after a few days, weeks, months, or years. I once had a bubble tip that sat in the same crevice, of the same rock, for over 5 years - then one day it just started wandering.

Leave it be, protect it from power heads, and give it time to adjust to it's new environment and see how it looks. So far it looks fine to me, just deflated.

The pink is it's mouth.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I disagree a little bit with cdangel. I don't think it looks good. When the mouth gapes like that, it's not a good sign. I wouldn't freak out though, just watch it and as advised - make sure your powerheads are protected and nems do need time to acclimate. The fact that it's not footed and it's mouth is gaping means you should monitor it very closely. Try to leave it be (don't force it into an area you want it to attach to), don't feed it, and keep an eye on it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back