Anemone dying, not sure what to do

timmyrules

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I got this rainbow bubble tipped anemone 3 days ago. It looked amazing when I got it…but it has kinda gone downhill. I think the foot was accidentally torn when it was walking/floating in the tank when I first put it in the tank. It looks like half the foot is healthy and can grab on to stuff, but the other half is squishy. And it’s got this brown stringy stuff coming out of its mouth…so I considered some options: I could cut it in half and try to save the healthier looking half.
Or I could try giving it an iodine bath, I read somewhere that can help.
Or, I can leave it and hope it lives…I would rather not go with that last option.
I really don’t want the anemone to die, so if there is absolutely anything I can do to give him a fighting chance…please let me know.

49BBC59D-13B2-4D65-8972-A730DFDE1205.jpeg 5A31E16B-A605-471D-AE44-93C03764B8C4.jpeg 951C672C-2EB6-4E52-A4AA-5738AA81849E.jpeg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed leave it in the box to recover or for easy removal if it dies. Let’s try to find the problem too:

How old is your tank?
Tank size/dimensions?
What are the current parameters?
Lighting?
Flow?

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. The questions above will give some direction as to what is next.

OP
OP
T

timmyrules

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 10 gallons, it is fully cycled and has been running for 3 months. The only things that live in the tank are: one ocellaris clownfish, one small fox tail coral, and the anemone. Both the clown fish and coral are doing good. There was a green spot puffer in there, but he passed because of ich. I am not 100% sure what the water parameters are, I’ll test them as soon as I get home…but last time I tested them was about a week and a half ago and the results are:
ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 3ppm, Ph 8.3ppm
I’m not sure how to measure flow…but there is a good amount of water movement. I’m not exactly sure how to measure lighting either. But the lights seem to be pretty bright

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, 3 months old is likely not a mature system, which anemones require to survive and thrive.

For lighting, share a link to what light fixture you are using. "It's pretty bright" tells us nothing unfortunately, and it's entirely possible the fixture is not sufficient for anemone health.

For flow, again show us what equipment you are using to create flow in the tank.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add to above, is RODI bring used and not tap water?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 10 gallons, it is fully cycled and has been running for 3 months.
I am not 100% sure what the water parameters are, I’ll test them as soon as I get home…but last time I tested them was about a week and a half ago and the results are:
ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 3ppm, Ph 8.3ppm
I’m not sure how to measure flow…but there is a good amount of water movement. I’m not exactly sure how to measure lighting either. But the lights seem to be pretty bright
Kinda early for a very sensitive animal as an anenome.

Ammonia and nitrite are no longer needed to be tested(unless it's an extreme case).
Need nitrate, phosphate, ph, calcium test kits. Mag has been up for debates.
I video will judge water flow.
Lights being "pretty Brite" is not a good indicator. Par meter or list the brand/size and wattage and we can look that up.

OP
OP
T

timmyrules

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix my own saltwater with instant ocean reef crystals, and RODI water…give me a second and I will get those links to the light and the filter. I do have 2 other reef tanks, they are both small (one is 3 gallons and the other is 1.5 gallons) and over a year old…do you guys think I should move the anemone to one of them temporarily?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix my own saltwater with instant ocean reef crystals, and RODI water…give me a second and I will get those links to the light and the filter. I do have 2 other reef tanks, they are both small (one is 3 gallons and the other is 1.5 gallons) and over a year old…do you guys think I should move the anemone to one of them temporarily?
An older tank would be better. Lighting should be at minimum over the 100 par range.

OP
OP
T

timmyrules

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there’s the filter

Attachments

• A9C89CB3-F564-499B-B27C-5E40D749992D.png
    A9C89CB3-F564-499B-B27C-5E40D749992D.png
    272.9 KB · Views: 25

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back