Where do your UC frags come from? Here's some information!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, out of curiousity what do your nitrates usually look like?

I'd have to check, but I think they range up to 2-3ppm, but I'll have to look at the test logs to give you exact numbers!

-Scott

dss190

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Scott,

So you guys don't run any GFO? Do you guys have any algae problems running you Phosphate that high?

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Scott,

So you guys don't run any GFO? Do you guys have any algae problems running you Phosphate that high?

We do run GFO from time to time, and actually, we haven't experienced too much in the way of algae problems...We used to get blooms here and there, but incorporating a fair number of herbivorous fishes, growth and harvest of Chaetomropha in our sumps, and manual extraction of any algae that encroach on corals has worked fine. We have a lot of coralline, but barely any of the more nasty types.

Good question!

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We do run GFO from time to time, and actually, we haven't experienced too much in the way of algae problems...We used to get blooms here and there, but incorporating a fair number of herbivorous fishes, growth and harvest of Chaetomropha in our sumps, and manual extraction of any algae that encroach on corals has worked fine. We have a lot of coralline, but barely any of the more nasty types.

Good question!

-Scott

Of course I transposed a decimal point or something in my mind... better clarify this!

our SPS raceway Phosphate reading ranges from .05- .08

ultimatemj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious about the 'balance' y'all are running...when you look up charts for Alk/Cal/Mag balance you often see numbers like 8/415/1280, but you are 8/535/1400.
Is that where you have found is good, or did that come from switching to the Triton method?

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious about the 'balance' y'all are running...when you look up charts for Alk/Cal/Mag balance you often see numbers like 8/415/1280, but you are 8/535/1400.
Is that where you have found is good, or did that come from switching to the Triton method?

Great question...We are not really sure, to be quite honest...We are a bit puzzled about the high calcium, but we are taking steps to let it go down a bit. All in all, the numbers may be weird to us, but the coral are doing the talking! LOL We will keep everyone updated on our parameters!

spacetime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corals I purchased from UC are growing strong and look great (I was looking for the Eco-gorgs for ages before running into them on UC's page). They are the healthiest coral in my tank and are beginning to grow over the plugs. The customer service I received was top notch. Waiting for my PO4 to drop before ordering some SPS from UC.

Riddler05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting and it is nice to see venders being so transparent. You said that you feed your SPS. I was wondering what you feed and how much do you feed (how often)?

hummer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind if light do you run ?
What is your lighting time?
If leds what are your settings?
If you don't mined I have radions and I'm need some setting input .ty

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corals I purchased from UC are growing strong and look great (I was looking for the Eco-gorgs for ages before running into them on UC's page). They are the healthiest coral in my tank and are beginning to grow over the plugs. The customer service I received was top notch. Waiting for my PO4 to drop before ordering some SPS from UC.

Thanks for the kids words...We hope that the customer service experience is as memorable as our corals! Looking forward to helping you get some "SPS" frags!

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting and it is nice to see venders being so transparent. You said that you feed your SPS. I was wondering what you feed and how much do you feed (how often)?

We feed them 2-3 times per week, with a "blend" of oyster eggs, and a locally made frozen coral food that consists of extremely fine particle-sized seafoods, and zooplankton. This mix is dispersed in a sort of slurry after pausing the main system pumps. Our corals (ok, the fishes in the raceways, too) really respond well to this stuff!

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind if light do you run ?
What is your lighting time?
If leds what are your settings?
If you don't mined I have radions and I'm need some setting input .ty

On our "SPS" raceways, we run 400 watt, 20K "Radium" metal halides on light movers, about 12" over the waterline. We run the lights around 10 hours a day, I believe (I think we adjusted recently). We also run a few banks of T5's over parts of one of our "SPS" raceways. We don't use Radions on our raceways; we have them on one of our display mixed reefs.

They are an excellent, well-made aquarium light, but for our purposes, they are simply not practical, both in terms of cost, light spread, and the sheer numbers that we'd need to cover our 30-foot long raceways in a fashion that would meet our criteria for growth, color, and "time to market." We do use some Kessil A360's on one section of one of our "LPS" raceways, over the Chalices, Blastos, Favia, etc., but we don't use LED over our "SPS" systems at this time.

HTH,

Scott

hummer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On our "SPS" raceways, we run 400 watt, 20K "Radium" metal halides on light movers, about 12" over the waterline. We run the lights around 10 hours a day, I believe (I think we adjusted recently). We also run a few banks of T5's over parts of one of our "SPS" raceways. We don't use Radions on our raceways; we have them on one of our display mixed reefs.

They are an excellent, well-made aquarium light, but for our purposes, they are simply not practical, both in terms of cost, light spread, and the sheer numbers that we'd need to cover our 30-foot long raceways in a fashion that would meet our criteria for growth, color, and "time to market." We do use some Kessil A360's on one section of one of our "LPS" raceways, over the Chalices, Blastos, Favia, etc., but we don't use LED over our "SPS" systems at this time.

HTH,

Scott
Ty for the response

raultsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received m triton test kit and elementz. Im waiting for this weather in NY to get better so i can order some SPS

SPotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so the triton method is in place of using a ca reactor correct? My initial impression was that this couldnt be automated with dosing pump and I read that you are supposed to remove an equal amount of tank water that is equivalent to the amount elementz you dose. It sounds like I may have misunderstood what I read.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back