Swapping out display tank

cale0721

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be swapping my display tank with a new tank. My current one is very old with lots of scratches on it. So for Xmas my family got together and I'm getting a reef ready 75 gallon with stand.

My question is .. What is the easiest want to move the sand?

Thanks

Caleb

wrfreeman

Wade
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question. I think if it was me, once I had the tank empty of all rock and fish I would vacuum the sand up and let it flow through a screen so you're not moving any of the detritus lurking in the substrate. Not sure how feasible that would be. I imagine you'd run out of water before you got all the sand out. My sand is nasty so there's no way I would scoop it up and transfer it as is.

OP
OP
cale0721

cale0721

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for replying.
Just wasn't sure if I should rinse it out before putting it into the new tank or not.

dustinw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with wrfreeman, just be sure to rinse the sand out real good with fresh ro water and you should be fine. That is what i did when i moved my last one and it worked out fine. When are you switching out tanks?

OP
OP
cale0721

cale0721

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably 2-3 weeks.

Might need some help with it and with the plumbing if anyone would like to help me

Justin1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also doing a transfer, I am going to be moving before the summer and was wondering if it would be better just to get new sand and let it cycle then move stuff in?

OP
OP
cale0721

cale0721

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1418783388.178411.jpg

Here is the current tank I have. It's. 75 gallon.

Here is the tank I'll be moving to..

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1418783448.450641.jpg

Minus the stuff in the inside and light.

I'm very excited to have a reef ready scratch free Aquaruim LOL.

I will be selling or trading my old tank and stand if anyone in the club is interested.

dustinw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I don't care a bit to help. I'm off weekends so let me know a week or so ahead of time. You have my number and info. If not it's on private forum. Glad to help

dustinw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also doing a transfer, I am going to be moving before the summer and was wondering if it would be better just to get new sand and let it cycle then move stuff in?

You can use the current sand you have just be sure to rinse it out real well and it should be fine. When I upgraded tanks I used the sand from my other tank and it did fine.

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, can I ask who make those reactors inside your new tank? looks like synergy reef products but its not on their website.

thanks

OP
OP
cale0721

cale0721

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I don't care a bit to help. I'm off weekends so let me know a week or so ahead of time. You have my number and info. If not it's on private forum. Glad to help

Thanks Dustin
I'll have to figure out how I want to do the plumbing this time around. And I plan to plastidip spray the back. Definitely going to try and take my time so it comes out right.

I'll then just saving for an in sump skimmer. I want to go with the bubbles magus curve 5. Thoughts?

Ole Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it becomes a little pricey but its awfull hard to remove all the TOXINS from the old substrate that ar lurking below the top 1/2 inch layer.So I always recomend to replace because its cheaper then replaceing your transfered coarls when they start melting for some unknown reason when all your water PARs look good,remember you can't see Toxins there just deadly. JMO as an Old reefer...

dustinw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Dustin
I'll have to figure out how I want to do the plumbing this time around. And I plan to plastidip spray the back. Definitely going to try and take my time so it comes out right.

I'll then just saving for an in sump skimmer. I want to go with the bubbles magus curve 5. Thoughts?

Honestly I don't know a hole lot about the bubble magus. Mines a reef octopus and it's a beast. But I'll do a Lil research on the bubble magus.

OP
OP
cale0721

cale0721

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it becomes a little pricey but its awfull hard to remove all the TOXINS from the old substrate that ar lurking below the top 1/2 inch layer.So I always recomend to replace because its cheaper then replaceing your transfered coarls when they start melting for some unknown reason when all your water PARs look good,remember you can't see Toxins there just deadly. JMO as an Old reefer...

I totally understand that. I got new sand back in October when I moved into a new home and had to move the tank. So sand is only 2 months old now. I'm really debating on what I should do lol

OP
OP
cale0721

cale0721

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I don't know a hole lot about the bubble magus. Mines a reef octopus and it's a beast. But I'll do a Lil research on the bubble magus.

It was in my price range and the reviews seemed good when I looked on bulk reef supply.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did the same thing... replaced my 200g tank due to scratches.
Major PITA.
But will be so worth it. lol

I use sand from Tampa Bay Saltwater, and instead of dealing with rinsing it and killing all the good stuff, I just put it all in garbage bags and left it for trash pickup.
Then I ordered new sand from TBS!
Fresh sand with fresh critters. And a great way to get the new tank cycling.
Meanwhile, all my fish, coral and rock were put into a 4'x4' holding tub.
My build thread is in the Members Tanks forum if you want to check it out. Lots of pics.

Ole Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only being 2 months old shouldn't have to many toxins in it yet,wash it throughly and then wash it again and you should be alright...

Justin1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So if you get new sand does the tank need to recycle (live sand)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back