Swapping out display tank

Ole Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are changeing from an established tank(upgrading) and it is a reef tank the live rock from your reef should have enough bacteria in it to carry the new bio-load I usually use about 40% of my old tank water in the change-over and its like doing a major water change and coming out with a new tank to boot...JMO

Justin1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are changeing from an established tank(upgrading) and it is a reef tank the live rock from your reef should have enough bacteria in it to carry the new bio-load I usually use about 40% of my old tank water in the change-over and its like doing a major water change and coming out with a new tank to boot...JMO

Just have a few questions, and don't want to high jack the thread, mind if I PM you?

dustinw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any time you switch out tanks you have the chance of it cycling. Using the same water/rock will lower the chance but IMO there is still a chance.

Ole Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Justin1997,feel free to PM me anytime bro i'm no expert but been in the hobby since 1970 and have learned by experience because we didn't have a lot of knowledge back then like we have know...And you are correct Dustin you stand the chance of a cycle anytime you do a change...

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just to clarify (and you probably know this)... there is nothing wrong with using old water, but just so the OP knows, it's doing nothing for you but moving over dirty water to the new tank.
The beneficial bacteria is not free floating, it attaches itself to solid surfaces (rock, sand, coral).
Many people think that using your old water will somehow help prevent a cycle or whatever and that's not true.
Just make sure that if you are not using any old water, that all your new water parameters match the old water parameters.
That would probably be the only advantage to using old water... less chance of shocking things.

Ole Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct IMO thats why I said the beneficial bacteria is already in you live rock if it is a reef tank that has already been established on an upgrade and you stand a chance of a mini cycle anytime anyway...IMO...:yo:

Ole Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Justin1997,I do hope that the PM will give you some insight and comfort on your move....Goodluck Bro. Ole Man

Ole Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have a clue what happened but I just resent your PM :tongue:

OP
OP
cale0721

cale0721

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1421024865.035868.jpg

Small change of plans decided to keep the stand I had and refinish it. It turned out great and now matches the rest of our furniture. New tank is in place. Yay!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 16.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 51 44.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back