Ghost strikes again

Frank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many fellow reefers have a ghost that lives in there tanks. I received my purple hornets on friday put them in low flow and indirect light like the seller said till they settle in. They were on a large white rock easy to see and to my surprise they wre gone. In my tank I doubt that they will ever surface. My ghost can move an item from one side to the other over night.:eek:oh:

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to then got rid of all my large snails, hermit crabs and pistol shrimp. Now I only loose frags if my clumsy hand knocks them over. Hope they turn up.

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many fellow reefers have a ghost that lives in there tanks. I received my purple hornets on friday put them in low flow and indirect light like the seller said till they settle in. They were on a large white rock easy to see and to my surprise they wre gone. In my tank I doubt that they will ever surface. My ghost can move an item from one side to the other over night.:eek:oh:

ouch that sucks. i would be breaking up a reef if i lost a high dollar frag. my guess is you have a crab of some sort. i have one that like to take all the little frag and move them into the rock and uses them to build walls. took me a few months to get rid of him.

PS: i also did like above and removed the turbos and all but the smallest of hermits. have not had a problem for years since i did that

evilc66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an emerald crab thats like that. Found my just purchased acan frag halfway across the tank with him on top. He is getting bannished soon.

OP
OP
F

Frank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I study my tank for a few hours a day. I have no snails that I have ever seen. No starfish no crabs and i have never seen my tangs or clowns touch a single coral. It creeps in at night.

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I study my tank for a few hours a day. I have no snails that I have ever seen. No starfish no crabs and i have never seen my tangs or clowns touch a single coral. It creeps in at night.
If that is the case then it is possible you do have a poltergeist living in your tank. There are several ways to keep it from messing around with your corals.
One way is to make sure you have a ground probe. Poltergeists live in a field of electrical magnetism and by grounding the tank they will be drawn into the ground of the house and will not be able to maintain their magnetism within the tank.
But this depends on the class of poltergeist and of course, the age of the ghost. The older a ghost the stronger it is.
Also try raising your ph to 8.5. Most poltergeist's ph levels are seldom above 7.9. the higher you can keep it the more irritating it will be for them. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some type of crab in my tank, I saw him one morning when the lights in the tank first came on. I saw his feet when he was backing into a hole in a piece of live rock, only time I have seen him. I am going to get one of those flash lights with the red lens and set up one night and try to catch him. He must only come out after the tank lights go off, but the good thing is, he hasn't caused me any problems yet.

amore169

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depend's on the tangs u might have, either hippo or purple tangs are zoa eaters for sure, I said that for experience, I lost many high end Frags, my purple tang had him for about 1 year till he decide to start eating my Zoas, my hippo had him since he was a baby, at least 2 years, he also started competing with my purple tang to see who would eat more Zoas, took me about 3 hours to get them out, that's my experience with those tangs, I still have my yellow and tomini with no problems yet. Good luck in finding them.

socalireefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O NO! So sorry Frank thats devastating, Let my PH colony rebound and grow back a little from the last round of fragging and ill get you a free polyp or two if you cant find the MIA frag. Shoot me a reminder in a couple weeks.
Your other Frag will ship out as discussed with another bonus frag this week.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Frank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eddie you have gone above and beyond what I think anyone else would have done for me. I will give you a shout in a few weeks if they do not float by:angel:. But I insist on paying for the shipping. Thanks again.

Mya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to blame my stuff on a ghost or even a lil crab but truth of the matter in my tank is the whole plug will come up missing from the rack... or just the frag itself... and its actually my clown.
She loves to pick stuff up and move it around. Sand, frags, snails, and even rocks. She just picks up whatever she wants and moves it to aggrivate me.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back