00W's AIO Smorgasbord

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!!! Maybe the next one will take up residence in the front where I can actually see it... will my clowns host more than one neme?
If you clowns like nems, they might or each might take up their own.

For mixing BTAs, I have had success with my RBTA and my Black Widow living together. Their rock island seems to be a happy zone for them. They move, but only in a circle around the top of their rock island. This was by design to keep them away from the SPS island and the other parts of the tank--their rock is very knobby with lots of foot holds and right below the Noopsyche Mini.

Nem island on the left prior to getting wet, SPS island on the right
1716224439412.jpeg

Some people report different BTAs fighting with each other or one type slowly withering away when another one is present. I run a lot of carbon for the nems and leathers in the tank, so maybe that helps, but you would want to monitor how they fare.

I have loads of RFAs in the tank as well, and they do their own thing far away from the BTAs. Mostly in the sand bed. I've wanted to try maxi mini nems as well but worried about a fish getting stuck in one. Would also love a sand bed LTA if I ever get a bigger tank with more sand bed space. A magnifica if I get a monster tank. Would LOVE a haddoni, but again worried about eating fish.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning!

Who was it, @ESABOE that said Reefers make good Gardeners?

Reefs:
1716223466110.jpeg

1716223477463.jpeg

vs. Plants:
1716223496092.jpeg

The plant is older than the tanks.
Yes, it was me. It’s still alive so there’s that

WalkerLovesTheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doctor’s appointment took a big chunk of the day but have been relaxing the rest of the day. I don’t get to do that much anymore and how was your day?
It was alright. Just an average Monday. Thanks for asking!

Calmwaters

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you clowns like nems, they might or each might take up their own.

For mixing BTAs, I have had success with my RBTA and my Black Widow living together. Their rock island seems to be a happy zone for them. They move, but only in a circle around the top of their rock island. This was by design to keep them away from the SPS island and the other parts of the tank--their rock is very knobby with lots of foot holds and right below the Noopsyche Mini.

Nem island on the left prior to getting wet, SPS island on the right
1716224439412.jpeg

Some people report different BTAs fighting with each other or one type slowly withering away when another one is present. I run a lot of carbon for the nems and leathers in the tank, so maybe that helps, but you would want to monitor how they fare.

I have loads of RFAs in the tank as well, and they do their own thing far away from the BTAs. Mostly in the sand bed. I've wanted to try maxi mini nems as well but worried about a fish getting stuck in one. Would also love a sand bed LTA if I ever get a bigger tank with more sand bed space. A magnifica if I get a monster tank. Would LOVE a haddoni, but again worried about eating fish.
Ok can you tell me what RFAs, LTA, and RBTA mean? LOL

WalkerLovesTheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok can you tell me what RFAs, LTA, and RBTA mean? LOL
RFA = Rock Flower Anemone
LTA = Long Tip Anemone
RBTA = Rainbow Bubble Tip Anemone

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what I have is a bubble tip, and I would love a rainbow bubble tip...
Yay, Nem Roundup!

RFAs -- super bright and colorful and very very easy to care for. They can be in the rocks or in the sand and tend to move around less. See a great RFA tank here:
Their stings are quite weak. I handle them barehanded and I've never seen a fish too bothered by touching them. AND, if you have a bunch of them, they might breed!
1716249682142.jpeg

LTAs -- I unfortunately haven't had the pleasure of having yet. They grow big. Dinner plate big. And they are definitely more at home with their foot lodged in the sand. As you might guess, they have long tentacles. That sometimes curl at the ends. Wish I had more I could say about them. When I get a big boy tank, I'll make some sand space for an LTA.

BTAs -- you know these. All bubbly and beautiful. Until they stop bubbling and leave you wondering what happened. Lots of variations ranging from cheap (green BTAs or GBTAs) to very expensive (chicago sunburst BTAs or CSBs). Naturally, black widow BTAs are the best, because I have a beautiful BWBTA. But other popular ones are CSB, RBTAs, rose BTAs that are often confused with RBTAs but RBTAs have more of a green/blue to red/purple coloration, whereas roses are much more light red throughout, Shermans which look similar to the black widows but deeper coloration and no spiderwebs on the disk.. am I forgetting any?
Isn't she beautiful?
1716248170606.jpeg

Here is my RBTA (that had just split) next to my BWBTA:
1716248202559.jpeg

Magnificas -- I know very little about these except that they are very big and magnificent and clownfish like them a lot. Also go by Ritteri nems.

Haddoni carpets -- I also know little about these since they just grow too big for my small tanks. Maybe one day. But clownfish also love big carpet nems. They have much stronger stings, though, and have a bad reputation for eating fish. So there's that.

Maxi-Mini carpet nems -- I've wanted to try one, but always ended up getting RFAs instead. They do not host clownfish. Smaller like RFAs but stronger stings/stickier. Can catch dumb fish.

Condy nems -- great if you like a white nems with pink tips. There are strange outlier cases of condys hosting clownfish, sometimes the more robust clowns like tomatos or clarkii. Not natural hosts.

Then there's a bunch of hitchhiker nems that you probably don't want. Curlique nems (not so bad), majanos (bad), Aiptasia (...).

Calmwaters

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay, Nem Roundup!

RFAs -- super bright and colorful and very very easy to care for. They can be in the rocks or in the sand and tend to move around less. See a great RFA tank here:
Their stings are quite weak. I handle them barehanded and I've never seen a fish too bothered by touching them. AND, if you have a bunch of them, they might breed!
1716249682142.jpeg

LTAs -- I unfortunately haven't had the pleasure of having yet. They grow big. Dinner plate big. And they are definitely more at home with their foot lodged in the sand. As you might guess, they have long tentacles. That sometimes curl at the ends. Wish I had more I could say about them. When I get a big boy tank, I'll make some sand space for an LTA.

BTAs -- you know these. All bubbly and beautiful. Until they stop bubbling and leave you wondering what happened. Lots of variations ranging from cheap (green BTAs or GBTAs) to very expensive (chicago sunburst BTAs or CSBs). Naturally, black widow BTAs are the best, because I have a beautiful BWBTA. But other popular ones are CSB, RBTAs, rose BTAs that are often confused with RBTAs but RBTAs have more of a green/blue to red/purple coloration, whereas roses are much more light red throughout, Shermans which look similar to the black widows but deeper coloration and no spiderwebs on the disk.. am I forgetting any?
Isn't she beautiful?
1716248170606.jpeg

Here is my RBTA (that had just split) next to my BWBTA:
1716248202559.jpeg

Magnificas -- I know very little about these except that they are very big and magnificent and clownfish like them a lot. Also go by Ritteri nems.

Haddoni carpets -- I also know little about these since they just grow too big for my small tanks. Maybe one day. But clownfish also love big carpet nems. They have much stronger stings, though, and have a bad reputation for eating fish. So there's that.

Maxi-Mini carpet nems -- I've wanted to try one, but always ended up getting RFAs instead. They do not host clownfish. Smaller like RFAs but stronger stings/stickier. Can catch dumb fish.

Condy nems -- great if you like a white nems with pink tips. There are strange outlier cases of condys hosting clownfish, sometimes the more robust clowns like tomatos or clarkii. Not natural hosts.

Then there's a bunch of hitchhiker nems that you probably don't want. Curlique nems (not so bad), majanos (bad), Aiptasia (...).
The rock flower ones are stunning colors! Maybe I will try that route! I have a nice sandy area in the front I could maybe put them there and surround them with small rubble incase they want to be on the rocks and not the sand?

Back