10' Frag Trough

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Local hydroponics store. You can order on line.
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1371053801.146480.jpg

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Ran two of the 3.5's a few years ago. They're killer, but the lip on the rail for the wheel housing is super shallow. As long as a safety harness or cable is used on the hoods it's a non issue though

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shores805, are there any articles or info on how to cast a frag tank like that?

Not sure, we just sort of winged it. My buddy shapes surfboards and fixes boats so we thought a frag tank would be no big deal. Wrong. For a vertical release of the part from the mould, the mould needs to be slightly tapered. Mistakenly made the mold for that one at a straight 90. Tried a pulley/chain, drilling a hole in the bottom and compressing air in between the part and the mould: seemed to work to an extent but the bottom inflated like a balloon while the corners stayed put. Next option is to blast a pressure washer into the hole we drilled. Long story short, if you try it, it doesn't matter how much mould release you apply: the part won't just pop out unless your moulds tapered. PM if you want more details and pics so we don't clutter up this thread.

steveb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the trough from Tractor Supply. The trough is narrow. 21 1/2" at frag rack depth of 6".
The light moves the length of the trough in 1 min 52 secs and really the inside dimension 9' 7", plus stopping the light 9" short of center at each end, only makes it about an 8' run. So far the test frags are looking great.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Is this the trough?

Galvanized Bunk Feeder, 10 ft. L - Tractor Supply Online Store

TheReefKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure, we just sort of winged it. My buddy shapes surfboards and fixes boats so we thought a frag tank would be no big deal. Wrong. For a vertical release of the part from the mould, the mould needs to be slightly tapered. Mistakenly made the mold for that one at a straight 90. Tried a pulley/chain, drilling a hole in the bottom and compressing air in between the part and the mould: seemed to work to an extent but the bottom inflated like a balloon while the corners stayed put. Next option is to blast a pressure washer into the hole we drilled. Long story short, if you try it, it doesn't matter how much mould release you apply: the part won't just pop out unless your moulds tapered. PM if you want more details and pics so we don't clutter up this thread.

You most likely have a slight negative draft in the plug. It's unfortunate my only suggestion would be to cut the plug rather than the part the strength of the plug later is less important. If you split the plug correctly you can flange it and have a two piece mold that bolts together and still save that part in mold.

Last edited:

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You most likely have a slight negative draft in the plug. It's unfortunate my only suggestion would be to cut the plug rather than the part the strength of the plug later is less important. If you split the plug correctly you can flange it and have a two piece mold that bolts together and still save that part in mold.

Right. The design of the mould( straight 90) is creating a vacuum effect( assume that's what you meant by negative pressure)
Injection moulding is the way to go if you want to make tubs, but that's simply not feasible for a causal composite hobbyist.
Thought about just cutting the mould into two parts but I think I'm gonna scrap it altogether as I think I have a better idea, which I plan on starting a thread on once I get it rollin.
Gotta love how the reef hobby offshoots into all kinds of other hobbies you wouldn't normally get into.

jbonez

jbonez
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
frag tank

This is my newest frag system with a coast to coast bean animal overflows

Attachments

• 20130519_133142_wm.jpg
    20130519_133142_wm.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 656

Clownfish Depot

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool project. Do you know if that container is 100% plastic or is it blended? I have tried a few of tractor supplies tub/containers but found out later that they were blended. That explained why the clownfish babies I had in there all died. Are you having any "issues" with your corals?

jlydon29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw one of these at Tractor supply today, and thought how it would make an awesome frag setup! You beat me to it! Lol. How's it holding up? Pic update!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 29.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back