OP
OP
kbourque

kbourque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grr yellow tang hasn't been eating and one of my clowns color started to fade for the last couple days will try soaking food in garlic see if that works. Clown may be from mal nutrition cus he will only eat brine. My blastomussa is starting to grow some new heads. I noticed black bugs on some of my corals[emoji16]. Yesterday I seen one starting to lose flesh pulled it out and there were 3-4 of em on the plug so I pulled them all out and did a Bayer dip for 15 min at 4ml per cup had about 5-6 floating in the solution when it was done. Should I do this every couple days or weekly?

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1435774795.663217.jpg

OP
OP
kbourque

kbourque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re arranged my rock a little. Need to buy a few more pieces to finish it off. This will give me a lot more area for coral once I get to that point.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1435807596.368918.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1435807638.441146.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1435807683.903636.jpg

OP
OP
kbourque

kbourque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few updates lost a clown and a yellow tang. I dosed the t with api general cure and they went downhill from there. Soon as I seen they were stressed I put them in a 5 gal with fresh saltwater heater and airstone. Not sure what was wrong they weren't eating and I Tried everything to get them to eat. Got my rock in for the dt.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1436576013.525425.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1436576053.411143.jpg

Picked up a frogspawn a couple weeks ago and it's doing well.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1436576142.514177.jpg

And the blast is doing great looks it has 3 heads now.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1436576207.297874.jpg

OP
OP
kbourque

kbourque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a serious brown algae outbreak lol it's covering everything been losing margarita snails not sure why.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1438121370.031095.jpg

Green birds nest purple polyps... I mean white birds nest green polyps what the heck lol I lowered it in the tank hoping it would get some color eventually lol. Now my blastomussa and frogspawn still doing great. Think the frogspawn is growing another head. Pink stylopora is doing good also polyps fully extended. Lol I took a pic with flash and it sucked them all up lol.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1438121669.477933.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1438121868.546843.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1438121912.333393.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1438121993.901900.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1438122065.061145.jpg

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think u need to find out why everything is dying first man. Something your doing isn't right. And add things slow. You got the right set up, jus something isn't clicking. Let's try getting you back on track here.

1. What are your parameters
2. When is the last time u did a water change, and how much?

OP
OP
kbourque

kbourque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be just the snails haven't lost anything else all the ceriths and turbos are fine. Fish are doing well I turned my light cycle down to 6 from 12 well Blues were on for 12 full spec was on for 8. Been doing biweekly water changes. Change gfo and carbon out when I do water change. Been dosing vinegar at 10ml now. I run one filter sock that I change weekly. I do 20 gal water changes I estimate I have 80 gallons of water in the system.

Ph 8.2
Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Cal 420
Alk 8.4
Mag 1400

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well your doing things right. I was under the impression you were loosing stuff left and right since you lost your fish on the 10th.

OP
OP
kbourque

kbourque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No but that really sucked cus I tryed everything to keep them alive think it was internal parasites and I was too late.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank build is looking great. I think you need to slow down a bit though on adding anything until you figure out what is the reason your corals and or fish are dying. Have you tested your phosphates with a hanna checker yet? I would imagine it could be the reason your having such a hard time with the sps. This is a pretty unforgiving hobby we are in and its one you really need to start off slow in. I have been doing this since '03 and I still always have issue's for a few months when setting up a new tank. IMO it generally takes 6mths for your tank to establish and anther 6mths to somewhat mature. You can test your water as much as you like but it just takes time for your tank to really establish. Also a par meter would be a nice thing to borrow from your club or someone so you can see what kind of light output your getting throughout your tank. Good luck!

OP
OP
kbourque

kbourque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank build is looking great. I think you need to slow down a bit though on adding anything until you figure out what is the reason your corals and or fish are dying. Have you tested your phosphates with a hanna checker yet? I would imagine it could be the reason your having such a hard time with the sps. This is a pretty unforgiving hobby we are in and its one you really need to start off slow in. I have been doing this since '03 and I still always have issue's for a few months when setting up a new tank. IMO it generally takes 6mths for your tank to establish and anther 6mths to somewhat mature. You can test your water as much as you like but it just takes time for your tank to really establish. Also a par meter would be a nice thing to borrow from your club or someone so you can see what kind of light output your getting throughout your tank. Good luck!

Yeah going as slow as I can lol. Yeah a par meter would be nice. I'm just mainly trying to keep nutrient levels as low as possible and keep my water parameters stable. Side note my flasher decided to go carpet surfing I need to make a diy lid I guess. I need to get my qt up again so it can cycle that will prob take a month. Now I'm down to a clown and a fairy wrasse so I'll prob try to do the diy lid very soon.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulkreefsupply has great DIY lid products, that's where I got my DIY supplies from. And its very easy. Do you ever test for phosphates?

OP
OP
kbourque

kbourque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulkreefsupply has great DIY lid products, that's where I got my DIY supplies from. And its very easy. Do you ever test for phosphates?

No I haven't tested phosphates yet my lfs only has api and Red Sea kits if I'm going to pay 60 for a kit I might as well get a hanna. I really overfeed I'm trying to slack off on that and start rinsing the food before I put it in the tank.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could be the reason your having coral issue's. Phosphates and alk are generally the biggest issue's I see and since you are testing alk and its in a good range I'd assume phos is the culprit here. I think phos are one of those things many don't test for as they feel like its not one of those talked about in the beginning, but they are one of the most important things to test to. Especially if you plan on keeping sps. I have seen some sps do just fine in the .3-.5 range surprisingly, but generally you want to be below .1. I try to stay in the .03-.05 range myself. But if you can swing the 40+ bux I'd get a hanna checker. Until you have one I wouldn't add any sps.

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't go through all the 8 pages but how established is your tank? It looks like you are barely getting through the cycle. Your white rocks says you do not have enough bio load in your system. You may need to seed your tank with established Live Rock.

OP
OP
kbourque

kbourque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't go through all the 8 pages but how established is your tank? It looks like you are barely getting through the cycle. Your white rocks says you do not have enough bio load in your system. You may need to seed your tank with established Live Rock.

It's getting there I started with bare rock and live sand I put a 5lb live in there and tons of stability. I'd have to check but I think I'm between 3-4 months. Cycle been finished for a while now. It's most likely phosphate that's giving me the hair algae. I cut back a lot on feeding and lighting and running gfo and carbon And have a baseball sized Cheato in the sump .don't know how well the gfo is working though it seems to be some type of hair algae and it's brown. My cleanup crew was bare min since I didn't have much growing in the tank so I may pick up more Cuc this weekend. Im sure this has something to do with it being a new tank though as I'm reading a lot of new tanks go through this stage.

OP
OP
kbourque

kbourque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could be the reason your having coral issue's. Phosphates and alk are generally the biggest issue's I see and since you are testing alk and its in a good range I'd assume phos is the culprit here. I think phos are one of those things many don't test for as they feel like its not one of those talked about in the beginning, but they are one of the most important things to test to. Especially if you plan on keeping sps. I have seen some sps do just fine in the .3-.5 range surprisingly, but generally you want to be below .1. I try to stay in the .03-.05 range myself. But if you can swing the 40+ bux I'd get a hanna checker. Until you have one I wouldn't add any sps.

Yeah I plan on getting a Hanna for phos and alk all the others the Red Sea kit should be good enough.

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's getting there I started with bare rock and live sand I put a 5lb live in there and tons of stability. I'd have to check but I think I'm between 3-4 months. Cycle been finished for a while now. It's most likely phosphate that's giving me the hair algae. I cut back a lot on feeding and lighting and running gfo and carbon And have a baseball sized Cheato in the sump .don't know how well the gfo is working though it seems to be some type of hair algae and it's brown. My cleanup crew was bare min since I didn't have much growing in the tank so I may pick up more Cuc this weekend. Im sure this has something to do with it being a new tank though as I'm reading a lot of new tanks go through this stage.
Ok sounds like you're on the right path. For the phosphates, get a Hanna Checker and check your readings. With the brown, hair, red slime, or whatever algae blooms you may go through, try to gravel vacuum it out of your tank. It helps remove it faster rather than waiting.

OP
OP
kbourque

kbourque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a sailfin tang since the flasher jumped. Bout 1-1/2-2" fish eats like a pig and picks at algae on rocks all day long. Been wanting a sailfin since I put the tank up. And it looks awesome with just the blues on you can see all the yellow striping and the blue outlines on the fins.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1438652496.516144.jpg

OP
OP
kbourque

kbourque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a small green flowerpot and a star fish yesterday.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1439657475.070840.jpg

Fts

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1439657727.917087.jpg

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back