Due to acquisition of two Marineland 125-gallon tanks, my build plan has changed significantly.
Current plan is to have a 125-reef with a 125-sump with the main chamber for a macroalgae display.
Screenshot of 3D-model of current plan (2021-10-04 16:06):
1633381998455.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QT Update 2021-11-23:
1637708990704.png

Stand painted 2021-11-13 (now in my dining room 2021-11-20):
1637101517926.png

Living room FOWLR is being transferred to the basement:
1637101589123.png

Now for 90-Display/75-sump FOWLR for my basement fish room:
Last Update as of 2021-03-17 10:38
Floor drilled for plumbing down to basement "fish room" (2021-03-16 20:30):
20210317_075944_E.jpg

Current FOWLR and in-progress setup photo from this morning (2021-03-10):
1615389109043.png

Backdrop outdoor posters received for mangrove lagoon and 90-gallon reef (2021-03-08):
1615302006600.png

Current Fish Stocking List as of 2021-03-11 17:42
Current planned fish list:
90-gallon reef:
1X Fiji Bicolor Foxface (Siganus uspi)
2X Darwin Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
2X Royal Gramma (Gramma loreto)
2X Sharknose Gobies (Elcatinus evelynae)
1X Rainsford's Goby (Amblygobius rainfordi)
1X Orangespotted Shrimp Goby (Amblyeleotris guttata)
1X Bristletooth Tomini Tang (Ctenochaetus tominiensis)
3X Yellowstriped Cardinalfish (Ostorhincus cyanosoma) or Seal's Cardinalfish (Ostorhincus sealei)
2X Scissortail Dartfish (Ptereleotris evides)
1X Melanurus Wrasse (Halichoerus melanurus)
1X Engineer Goby (Pholidichthys leucotaenia)

75-gallon mangrove lagoon:
1X Purple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum) [already in FOWLR]
1X Rectangle Triggerfish (Rhinecanthus rectangulus) [already in FOWLR]
1X Snowflake Eel (Echidna nebulosa) [already in FOWLR]
1X One Spot Foxface (Siganus unimaculatus)
1X Pink Streaked Wrasse (Pseudocheilinops ataenia)

~40-gallon Sump Refugium Section:
2X Janss' Pipefish (Doryrhamphus janssi)
2X Spotted Mandarinfish (Synchiropus picturatus)

Planned layout (shorter stand will be standard rather than custom-built):
90-Reef_02-01.png

1607367517683.png

75-gallon mangrove lagoon and 90-gallon display are both drilled for Modular Marine 1200gph overflows (awaiting setup and installation). (2021-01-21)
20210119_202617.jpg

Stand Frame finished and awaiting skin, trim, and countertop (2021-01-04):
90G_Stand_02.jpg
UPDATES as of 2020-12-07 13:00
Modular Marine 1200GPH overflows shipping soon, fish list being revised and researched, materials for stand are in my shop waiting for fabrication, most equipment is sourced and on-hand for progress over holiday break

ORIGINAL POST
After being introduced to keeping a marine aquarium with the acquisition of a 75-gallon FOWLR from a co-worker as detailed in my post in the Meet & Greet forum, I am just starting the planning phase of building a 90-gallon peaceful reef tank.
Since I am new, I am planning to start with more hardy fishes, corals, and invertebrates. Research is one thing I enjoy doing, so I will be careful and patient in the planning phase to reduce likelihood of wasted expense and failures when I am starting out.

I already have the tank (48 inches long, 18 inches wide, 25 inches deep) and stand with an open base design that should allow for a sump. There are no holes drilled in the aquarium for plumbing, so I will probably need overflow over the top, unless drilling through the glass is a consideration I take. A sump with a refugium is very likely to be included (30 to 55 gallons, not sure how to size the sump? ...is bigger better?).
80-lbs of dry rock, 40-lbs of Caribsea Arag-alive Fiji Pink, and 20-lbs of Caribsea Arag-alive Special Grade are on order so I can get rockscape and substrate ready to begin cycling in the next month or two. I am in no rush, but I would like to have the materials on hand when I am ready to start this tank, especially if there is any pre-setup processing I need to do.

This is my initial fish list based on preliminary research, and recommendations for additions, subtractions, or changes are appreciated.
Listed in approximate order of preference:
2 of Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
1 of Purple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum) [I already have this ~4-inch fish that will be transferred over from my 75-gallon]
1 of Kole Yellow Eye Tang (Ctenochaetus strigosus) or 1 of Bristletooth Tomini Tang (Ctenochaetus tominiensis)
1 of Foxface Lo (Siganus vulpinus) or 1 of Bicolor Foxface (Siganus uspi) or 1 of One Spot Foxface (Siganus unimaculatus)
1-2 of Engineer Goby (Pholidichthys leucotaenia)
2-3 of Chalk Bass (Serranus tortugarum)
2-3 of Neon Goby (Elcatinus oceanops)
2-4 of Yellowstriped Cardinalfish (Ostorhincus cyanosoma)
2 of Blue/Green Black-axil Chromis (Chromis sp.) or 2 of Yellowtail Damselfish (Chrysiptera parasema) or 2 of Blue Sapphire Damselfish (Chrysiptera cf. springeri)

Some items on this list are probably not subject to change. My favorite fish is the Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish, especially paired symbiotically with Rose Bubble-Tip Anemones. These two fish along with RBTA are surely on my list.
The Purple Tang came with the 75-gallon tank I got and is one of my most favorite fish, so I would like him to be in the 90-gallon reef (at least until he may grow too large?).
Fish from the genus Siganus I find particularly striking and interesting, so one will likely be included.
The Engineer Goby is one of my favorites also for its coloration and resemblance to an eel. I am not sure if it is better to include two or only one.
The Chalk Bass is my favorite small fish and would like to include more than one.
The other fish are just considerations for different colors or interests if they can be added without overcrowding the tank or overloading the biosystem.
I really like eels, and my 75-gallon aquarium came with a ~11-inch Snowflake Eel, but it seems they are not good to add to a 90-gallon reef. Since I also have triggerfish that are not compatible with the reef, I will probably leave the 75-gallon as a FOWLR in addition to the 90-gallon reef aquarium.

Does this seem way too heavy a bio-load for a 90-gallon tank (probably with a 30-to-55-gallon sump)? Should I remove fish or can I add fish (either more quantity or more types) to the list? What sequence should I add the fish to best aid success?

I am not really sure which corals to include, so I am open to suggestions. I want hardy beginner corals at the start and will see where I head from here in the future.
My initial research has me considering the following, though much more research and recommendations are needed before adding any:
Mushroom Anemones, branching Sinularia, Porites, Leather, Acropora (maybe too difficult?), Star Polyps, Euphyllia (especially ancora)
Corals are one category where I am very open to recommendations.

Other invertebrates, such as hermit crabs, snails, shrimp, starfish, urchins, conchs will be included for clean-up, though I am also very open to suggestions in this area and will refine considerations as I make a more specific plan for the fishes and corals that are to be included.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations, especially initial reactions to my considerations. I know this is broad right now, but I will get more specific in considerations and schedule as I progress in my research. I have been reading a lot about reefing and marine aquariums online and in books and will continue to do so in conjunction with recommendations on R2R for a practical education towards a successful reef.

Current Aquascape awaiting cementing (2020-12-07):
1607367614903.png

Cemented Aquascape (2021-01-23):
20210123_150617.jpg

33-gallon Brute can ready for pre-cycling rock, sand, and aquascape (2021-01-23):
20210123_150636.jpg

Aquascape start-cycle in progress (2021-01-28):
1612277606848.png

Kind Regards,
Soren

Last edited:

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With no progress on my builds or upgrades, updates are less motivating...
Lack of progress is due to being over-busy at work, still prioritizing my house remodeling projects, and this fall beginning amateur luthier work on violins/violas/cellos as my primary hobby. The builds have been sitting without progress, but I should have some time over my work break. I need to finish the crown molding and trim in my living room where the tanks will go, drill the 125g for the overflow, plan/build/install sump baffles, then start with filling the system.

Along with that, I have plans to finish set up of my double-stacked 40B systems with top tanks overflowing into bottom tanks for sumps and repopulate them with saltwater instead of both fresh/salt. I rescued some goldfish from a house my co-worker bought, so I want my 90g (currently housing the ocean live rock) for them, which means simplification into less systems for the freshwater fish and allowing all 40B for saltwater rock culturing and smaller biomes. I'm over-ambitious as always.

Your wrasses are beautiful and your photography is marvelous! I'm still trying to figure out how to keep moving fish in the proper focus in my pictures. I got some good ones today, but a significantly small percentage are in-focus...
You’ve got a lot going on! I hope you’re able to get your tanks going during your break. Very cool that you rescued those goldfish. I enjoy FW tanks as much as SW. Post pics of the 90g goldfish tank once it’s finished.

Thank you for the compliment. My wrasses are tough to photograph I take A LOT of pics before I get a good one lol

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No major progress to report yet, but I did get the trim needed to complete the living room so I can begin the main build shortly after. If only I could complete the house remodel work at the same time as working at my job... which is pretty difficult when I plan to do the work myself while keeping my paychecks coming.

In the meantime, I got a 40B tank drilled for an overflow to impel my work desk upgrade (same occupants, though hopefully more coral in the near future) to a 40B with 30T sump, possibly also a 10g refugium and bonsai mangrove tray in the future.
(@Lost in the Sauce Though it was a long time since first plan, I finally successfully drilled the first 40B and confirmed that the glass was not tempered. Of course, I forgot my camera today to share picture evidence.)
This is the first proof step of my plan to change over my double-stacked 40B tanks into display & sump systems that will mostly be converted to saltwater live rock cultures and small biosystems for some of my saltwater tank ideas (maybe even seahorses sometime in the future? We'll see what time and funding I have available along with all my other interests...).
The 125g display is ready for drilling for overflow, then plumbing will progress after the living room trim is finished and the stand is set up and finished.
On related news, I acquired a 150g tall (48"Lx24"Wx31"T) for my goldfish, so I won't be needing to shift tanks soon to make my 90g that currently houses live rock available for goldfish. This is possibly the dream tank for goldfish/cold freshwater fish, so that is nice! I just need to get an old defunct freezer moved out of the basement, build a shorter custom stand to replace the flimsy stock stand, and get the tank hauled down to prepare for this upgrade.

Near the end of December, my local PetCo opened a new store/moved locations and now includes a saltwater fish section. This is nothing spectacular and is quite small, but it is nice to have at least one local potential source.
Last weekend, I visited the store for the first time and was glad to see some offerings while also expectedly disappointed in the condition of some of the livestock (or dead-stock...). We'll see how things go. Hopefully they still take requests for fish to be ordered in.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No major progress to report yet, but I did get the trim needed to complete the living room so I can begin the main build shortly after. If only I could complete the house remodel work at the same time as working at my job... which is pretty difficult when I plan to do the work myself while keeping my paychecks coming.
my parent's strategy for this was to hire their teenage kids...

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my parent's strategy for this was to hire their teenage kids...
Ha, yeah, but I'm still too close (though not that close) to being the teenage kid myself to be able to employ this plan! (born in 1991)

Maybe soon I will hire some of it done or have some productive weekends with family help in order to accomplish the last tasks of my 'initial remodel' as I call it (after 3+ years...) and be able to move more after-work focus into other projects instead, such as completing my reef build.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah ha so we're pretty close, born in 87. Hire your parents then. that's what I'll be doing for reno work in the spring. My dad's words were "let me know what the projects are so I know what tools to bring."

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah ha so we're pretty close, born in 87. Hire your parents then. that's what I'll be doing for reno work in the spring. My dad's words were "let me know what the projects are so I know what tools to bring."
My dad may not be as handy as your dad seems when it comes to remodeling, but he definitely helps when he is available, mostly being my right-hand man and 'gopher'.
The job he will be most helpful for in the near future is getting the trim stained and varnished, since he most likes such tasks rather than the planning and installation work.

We just need more time to not be busy with other tasks in order to make such progress on home projects. There are countless opportunities for me to use my (albeit basic) handyman skills on my parents' house in return for their help on my projects!

The first job I want my dad to help me on is to get my 125g tank stood on end and prepared for drilling for overflow... unless we work first/play later? ;)

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am fortunate that my dad knows his stuff; I am the spawn of a civil engineer. on the flip side though, there will be no half measures. it will get done right, but take longer. but the gopher is also invaluable.

tough call on the tank. on the one hand, you can use it as a motivator to finish the house, on the other you risk being too tired from the house to enjoy the tank work.

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through your tank build. Sometimes we gotta prioritize life things before tanks. You will get there !
Thanks for the encouragement and for stopping by my build thread!

Most of my delays in the initial build plan are due to other interests I have, so I have not been bored in the meantime.
...not to mention that it actually makes sense right now to be spending more time upgrading my tank on my desk at work where I spend a significant portion of time each day and can watch the fish for a bit at any point. Getting foxface rabbitfish in this tank has been very exciting!

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update picture of my 40B Work Desk tank upgrade including the ocean live rock:
1675366622317.png

Apparently, the overflow bulkheads are trickling water out, so I had to lower the water level for now until I get the leaks resolved and hopefully get the sump plumbing fixed.

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took some detail pictures of the 40B Work Tank occupants last evening. Photography is still not as sharp as I'd like, as I seem to struggle with auto-focus not choosing the right object or manual focus not being as sharp as I thought from the viewing screen or peep lens.
Some turned out nice enough though. (WARNING: PICTURE-HEAVY, especially in Spoilers)

1675446555434.png

The butterflyfish (Chaetodon auriga) gets along great with the 2 one-spot foxface rabbitfish (Siganus unimaculatus) as I hoped would be the case:
1675446645725.png

1675445299693.png

1675446092677.png

1675445717258.png

Foxy Friday close-up shots:
1675445980239.png

1675446140923.png

1675445538065.png

1675445630273.png

1675445818084.png

1675445849852.png

1675445887297.png

1675446014490.png

1675446049278.png

1675446692450.png

1675446731693.png

Other shots:
1675445921953.png

1675445673165.png

1675445753938.png

1675446198743.png

1675446237667.png

1675446283739.png

1675446333549.png

1675446423659.png

1675446464121.png

1675446506175.png

1675446379553.png

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, and welcome to my build thread!

The 40B on my desk at work looks great right now since I just got it upgraded and re-setup, so it looks especially "pristine" right now.
The feeling of fresh sand and washed away detritus on rock is so nice. It's like you just took all your fish to the dentist. Especially like that foxface. Looks incredibly healthy

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The feeling of fresh sand and washed away detritus on rock is so nice. It's like you just took all your fish to the dentist. Especially like that foxface. Looks incredibly healthy
The foxies were a bit skinny when I got them several weeks ago, but they fared well in QT for a while and are doing even better now in this tank with abundant algae (including Caulerpa prolifera) to consume to their hearts' content.

Now that they are part of the community, they spend much more time active and out in the open. While they were in the QT on my left side of the desk, they were constantly camouflaged or completely darkened and startled easily.

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait I just noticed you have TWO rabbitfish in that tank! Are they a mated pair or just real chill homies? Haha
They aren't a mated pair, as they are still very young/small (~2.5"), but I hope to pair them as they grow. I've had success in the past keeping foxface rabbitfish from fighting when added in pairs at the same time. These 2 one-spot foxfaces will eventually be attempted to pair with 1 one-spot I already have at home when they outgrow the 40B tank.

As they are my favorite fish (especially bicolors), at home in other QT's I have 3 peaceful pairs of foxfaces:
2 bicolor (Siganus uspi) ~5" with 1 one-spot (Siganus unimaculatus) in 75g QT
2 bicolor (Siganus uspi) ~5.5" in 2nd 75g QT
2 bicolor (Siganus uspi) ~3" in 40B QT

So far, the only time I've had aggression issues was when I tried to pair the 2@~5" into the tank with the 2@~5.5". The established, bigger foxfaces beat up the other two over an hour span and I had to separate them. Otherwise, they have all been peaceful. Chances that all of these pairings are male/female when randomly acquired in pairs is not very high, so some of these pairs are likely 2 females or 2 males together.

I still hold a possibly-impossible dream of trying to breed foxfaces in the future, but I'm not taking serious effort in this endeavor for at least several years while I gain experience and just enjoy the ones I have.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren't a mated pair, as they are still very young/small (~2.5"), but I hope to pair them as they grow. I've had success in the past keeping foxface rabbitfish from fighting when added in pairs at the same time. These 2 one-spot foxfaces will eventually be attempted to pair with 1 one-spot I already have at home when they outgrow the 40B tank.

As they are my favorite fish (especially bicolors), at home in other QT's I have 3 peaceful pairs of foxfaces:
2 bicolor (Siganus uspi) ~5" with 1 one-spot (Siganus unimaculatus) in 75g QT
2 bicolor (Siganus uspi) ~5.5" in 2nd 75g QT
2 bicolor (Siganus uspi) ~3" in 40B QT

So far, the only time I've had aggression issues was when I tried to pair the 2@~5" into the tank with the 2@~5.5". The established, bigger foxfaces beat up the other two over an hour span and I had to separate them. Otherwise, they have all been peaceful. Chances that all of these pairings are male/female when randomly acquired in pairs is not very high, so some of these pairs are likely 2 females or 2 males together.

I still hold a possibly-impossible dream of trying to breed foxfaces in the future, but I'm not taking serious effort in this endeavor for at least several years while I gain experience and just enjoy the ones I have.
If you ever successfully breed any one spots in 2030 I'd gladly take one off your hands lol

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 159 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.6%
Back