Due to acquisition of two Marineland 125-gallon tanks, my build plan has changed significantly.
Current plan is to have a 125-reef with a 125-sump with the main chamber for a macroalgae display.
Screenshot of 3D-model of current plan (2021-10-04 16:06):
1633381998455.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QT Update 2021-11-23:
1637708990704.png

Stand painted 2021-11-13 (now in my dining room 2021-11-20):
1637101517926.png

Living room FOWLR is being transferred to the basement:
1637101589123.png

Now for 90-Display/75-sump FOWLR for my basement fish room:
Last Update as of 2021-03-17 10:38
Floor drilled for plumbing down to basement "fish room" (2021-03-16 20:30):
20210317_075944_E.jpg

Current FOWLR and in-progress setup photo from this morning (2021-03-10):
1615389109043.png

Backdrop outdoor posters received for mangrove lagoon and 90-gallon reef (2021-03-08):
1615302006600.png

Current Fish Stocking List as of 2021-03-11 17:42
Current planned fish list:
90-gallon reef:
1X Fiji Bicolor Foxface (Siganus uspi)
2X Darwin Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
2X Royal Gramma (Gramma loreto)
2X Sharknose Gobies (Elcatinus evelynae)
1X Rainsford's Goby (Amblygobius rainfordi)
1X Orangespotted Shrimp Goby (Amblyeleotris guttata)
1X Bristletooth Tomini Tang (Ctenochaetus tominiensis)
3X Yellowstriped Cardinalfish (Ostorhincus cyanosoma) or Seal's Cardinalfish (Ostorhincus sealei)
2X Scissortail Dartfish (Ptereleotris evides)
1X Melanurus Wrasse (Halichoerus melanurus)
1X Engineer Goby (Pholidichthys leucotaenia)

75-gallon mangrove lagoon:
1X Purple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum) [already in FOWLR]
1X Rectangle Triggerfish (Rhinecanthus rectangulus) [already in FOWLR]
1X Snowflake Eel (Echidna nebulosa) [already in FOWLR]
1X One Spot Foxface (Siganus unimaculatus)
1X Pink Streaked Wrasse (Pseudocheilinops ataenia)

~40-gallon Sump Refugium Section:
2X Janss' Pipefish (Doryrhamphus janssi)
2X Spotted Mandarinfish (Synchiropus picturatus)

Planned layout (shorter stand will be standard rather than custom-built):
90-Reef_02-01.png

1607367517683.png

75-gallon mangrove lagoon and 90-gallon display are both drilled for Modular Marine 1200gph overflows (awaiting setup and installation). (2021-01-21)
20210119_202617.jpg

Stand Frame finished and awaiting skin, trim, and countertop (2021-01-04):
90G_Stand_02.jpg
UPDATES as of 2020-12-07 13:00
Modular Marine 1200GPH overflows shipping soon, fish list being revised and researched, materials for stand are in my shop waiting for fabrication, most equipment is sourced and on-hand for progress over holiday break

ORIGINAL POST
After being introduced to keeping a marine aquarium with the acquisition of a 75-gallon FOWLR from a co-worker as detailed in my post in the Meet & Greet forum, I am just starting the planning phase of building a 90-gallon peaceful reef tank.
Since I am new, I am planning to start with more hardy fishes, corals, and invertebrates. Research is one thing I enjoy doing, so I will be careful and patient in the planning phase to reduce likelihood of wasted expense and failures when I am starting out.

I already have the tank (48 inches long, 18 inches wide, 25 inches deep) and stand with an open base design that should allow for a sump. There are no holes drilled in the aquarium for plumbing, so I will probably need overflow over the top, unless drilling through the glass is a consideration I take. A sump with a refugium is very likely to be included (30 to 55 gallons, not sure how to size the sump? ...is bigger better?).
80-lbs of dry rock, 40-lbs of Caribsea Arag-alive Fiji Pink, and 20-lbs of Caribsea Arag-alive Special Grade are on order so I can get rockscape and substrate ready to begin cycling in the next month or two. I am in no rush, but I would like to have the materials on hand when I am ready to start this tank, especially if there is any pre-setup processing I need to do.

This is my initial fish list based on preliminary research, and recommendations for additions, subtractions, or changes are appreciated.
Listed in approximate order of preference:
2 of Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
1 of Purple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum) [I already have this ~4-inch fish that will be transferred over from my 75-gallon]
1 of Kole Yellow Eye Tang (Ctenochaetus strigosus) or 1 of Bristletooth Tomini Tang (Ctenochaetus tominiensis)
1 of Foxface Lo (Siganus vulpinus) or 1 of Bicolor Foxface (Siganus uspi) or 1 of One Spot Foxface (Siganus unimaculatus)
1-2 of Engineer Goby (Pholidichthys leucotaenia)
2-3 of Chalk Bass (Serranus tortugarum)
2-3 of Neon Goby (Elcatinus oceanops)
2-4 of Yellowstriped Cardinalfish (Ostorhincus cyanosoma)
2 of Blue/Green Black-axil Chromis (Chromis sp.) or 2 of Yellowtail Damselfish (Chrysiptera parasema) or 2 of Blue Sapphire Damselfish (Chrysiptera cf. springeri)

Some items on this list are probably not subject to change. My favorite fish is the Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish, especially paired symbiotically with Rose Bubble-Tip Anemones. These two fish along with RBTA are surely on my list.
The Purple Tang came with the 75-gallon tank I got and is one of my most favorite fish, so I would like him to be in the 90-gallon reef (at least until he may grow too large?).
Fish from the genus Siganus I find particularly striking and interesting, so one will likely be included.
The Engineer Goby is one of my favorites also for its coloration and resemblance to an eel. I am not sure if it is better to include two or only one.
The Chalk Bass is my favorite small fish and would like to include more than one.
The other fish are just considerations for different colors or interests if they can be added without overcrowding the tank or overloading the biosystem.
I really like eels, and my 75-gallon aquarium came with a ~11-inch Snowflake Eel, but it seems they are not good to add to a 90-gallon reef. Since I also have triggerfish that are not compatible with the reef, I will probably leave the 75-gallon as a FOWLR in addition to the 90-gallon reef aquarium.

Does this seem way too heavy a bio-load for a 90-gallon tank (probably with a 30-to-55-gallon sump)? Should I remove fish or can I add fish (either more quantity or more types) to the list? What sequence should I add the fish to best aid success?

I am not really sure which corals to include, so I am open to suggestions. I want hardy beginner corals at the start and will see where I head from here in the future.
My initial research has me considering the following, though much more research and recommendations are needed before adding any:
Mushroom Anemones, branching Sinularia, Porites, Leather, Acropora (maybe too difficult?), Star Polyps, Euphyllia (especially ancora)
Corals are one category where I am very open to recommendations.

Other invertebrates, such as hermit crabs, snails, shrimp, starfish, urchins, conchs will be included for clean-up, though I am also very open to suggestions in this area and will refine considerations as I make a more specific plan for the fishes and corals that are to be included.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations, especially initial reactions to my considerations. I know this is broad right now, but I will get more specific in considerations and schedule as I progress in my research. I have been reading a lot about reefing and marine aquariums online and in books and will continue to do so in conjunction with recommendations on R2R for a practical education towards a successful reef.

Current Aquascape awaiting cementing (2020-12-07):
1607367614903.png

Cemented Aquascape (2021-01-23):
20210123_150617.jpg

33-gallon Brute can ready for pre-cycling rock, sand, and aquascape (2021-01-23):
20210123_150636.jpg

Aquascape start-cycle in progress (2021-01-28):
1612277606848.png

Kind Regards,
Soren

Last edited:
OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if you said this but how are you running the drains from tank to tank?

What style of drains I mean?

Also don't worry about water depth when choosing your sump. You can easily make or buy a little platform for your skimmer to sit on at it's appropriate water level.
I plan to use Modular Marine 1200 GPH overflows, both from display to mangrove lagoon and from mangrove lagoon to sump. The overflows were delivered a week or so ago, so I am looking forward to time to drill the tanks and install them. For the drain heads, there are three drain holes in the overflow, so I plan to run a Bean Animal style drain. I have not yet determined exactly how the drain lines will be after that. From display to lagoon, I would like to run the outlet to the far end of the lagoon to allow for flow across the lagoon from outlet to overflow, but this may prove to be difficult or a bad idea due to small height difference over the full 4' length which would leave my drain pipes at a very shallow angle. I may just run the drains into a pipe running across the back with holes to distribute flow across the tank. From lagoon to sump, I plan to just run three separate drain lines into a roller filter or filter socks.

At this point, I already have a hang-on-back skimmer, so water level has to be high enough in the skimmer portion to reach the inlet. As you mentioned, if I ever switch to a submerged skimmer, I can add a platform to set the right level. The limitation I will have is the amount of space available in the stand, which is not as much as I would like but is precisely determined by available space and tank layout limitations.
Also awesome idea to have a 75g refugium. I would do something different with the fuge space in your sump.

For the 75g don't just do mangroves, there is a whole world there! Check out @Tigahboy 's tank threads for inspo.
Oh, yes, I plan to have macroalgae as well. @Tigahboy 's macroalgae tank has been a great inspiration to me, and I have that thread bookmarked for reference! The compromise I have to deal with is liking both macroalgae and fish that eat macroalgae. Since I like tangs and foxfaces, I may not be able to keep macroalgae in the display or lagoon. This was a big part of the inspiration for a small displayed macroalgae section/refugium in the sump. As I harvest overgrowth, I can use it as a food source for my herbivores.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rock work is looking good!

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a good plan. Bean animal is best, this is the way.

What is the height difference between the 90 and 75?
About 8 1/4" below 90 overflow to top of 75 lagoon (not near as much space as I would like). The taller stand is modeled, drafted, and ready to be built custom for the 90 display and 75 sump. The shorter stand will be an existing stand rather than the custom one shown in this model since the dimensions worked out almost exactly the same as the stand that came with my 90-gallon tank (saves some money and fabrication time):
1608654069229.png

Rock work is looking good!
Thanks, @revhtree ! I hope to show more progress in a few weeks after upcoming break time off work!

TJAVOREK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef and congrats on the new tank! For the sump bigger is always better as it adds to the overall water volume in the tank. I’ve always tried to fit the biggest tank I can into there, but a 30 gallon would work for a 90 gallon as a sump. As for the fish I would skip on the Kole tang as I would hate for it to bully your purple tang. I would also not recommend the engineer gobies in a reef. I tried them in my 120, but they are so destructive and covered all of my corals near the ground within a day. They also get giant. If you’re looking for eel like movement you could look into the Midas Benny. Very cool fish and has that kinda eel like look to it. I would go with the cardinal fish as well instead of the damsels. Damsels are super ferocious most times, and would probably bully other tank mates in the future. You should be fine everywhere else though. Just watch out for the cardinal fish with your basslets and gobies. They have huge mouths, and I had one swallow up my male clownfish a long time ago. Good luck on setting it up! Always my favorite thing is the scaling of the tank and thinking of stocking options.

I second the no damsels. Back in the day with my first tank when you just put in live rock and were basically ready to go I used two blue damsels to finish the cycle, they ended up being terrors that attacked everything no matter the size I had to essentially corner them in the tank using cutting boards and remove them, was not fun. I vowed never again.

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the no damsels. Back in the day with my first tank when you just put in live rock and were basically ready to go I used two blue damsels to finish the cycle, they ended up being terrors that attacked everything no matter the size I had to essentially corner them in the tank using cutting boards and remove them, was not fun. I vowed never again.
Thanks for sharing your experience, @TJAVOREK ! My current fish list of possibilities does not include the damsels (among other changes as my plan becomes more developed).

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could run the drains like this. I think the decline would be enough.

Or move the overflow to that area, I think you will have to do one or the other to get a good flow pattern. To ensure water moves through the 75g

Attachments

• 1608654069229~2.png
    1608654069229~2.png
    390.3 KB · Views: 71
OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could run the drains like this. I think the decline would be enough.

Or move the overflow to that area, I think you will have to do one or the other to get a good flow pattern. To ensure water moves through the 75g
That is very similar to what I plan right now. Check out my updated original post for a picture of how I am considering the drain lines from display to lagoon right now (shown with black lines). The concern I have is that the shallow angle in the drains may allow for growth and blockage, so I will need to include unions for easy removal and cleaning (...but the drain lines will be behind the mangroves if they run clear across the tank, so maybe not so easy to remove for cleaning, even with unions). I am definitely still trying to determine the best route for this connection. I considered overflow on the opposite end of the lagoon, but this seems even harder to tie back to the sump. Powerheads might also be an option for flow in the lagoon, since there will not be corals to irritate, though this is not the option I would prefer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update after my work break over Christmas and into the new year: not as much progress as I had hoped, but still progress! Most of my time was spent remodeling my house instead (which is probably a justifiable higher priority!).

I did find time to convert an inventory of lumber into cut pieces, then pieces into an assembled stand frame (no finish or decoration yet, and no countertop).

Note the trim and other lumber behind the pieces still waiting for more house remodelling, as well as the beautifully refinished wood floors all covered in red rosin paper for now... at least we got the outlets moved above the baseboard height and upgraded to grounded circuits in time to power the saw to cut the stand frame parts!

90G_Lumber_01.jpg
90G_Lumber_02.jpg

90G_Stand_01.jpg

90G_Stand_02.jpg

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that stand will hold it all right!

Ensure each 2x4 over the top is level and plane or sand down as needed if not.
Thanks, @count krunk! There will be a counter-top made from counter-laminate sheet over plywood that will be leveled using shims on the 2x6's running across the top of the frame. The top is pretty level as it is, but it is not in position where it belongs, and my floors are not perfectly level. I also plan to include a leveling pad between counter-top and tank base.
The base of the frame is also still missing the feet to prevent floor damage, and these will affect level as well. I plan to have the feet on and stand in position before attaching the counter-top so I can still level it then.

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just caught up! Excited to watch and see it all come together
Thanks, @danieyella! I'm glad to have you onboard, though my progress may be less-than-exciting-ly slow since I am remodeling my house at the same time.

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most builds here take time. My tank has been set up for over a year and it has like 7 coral pieces in it.
This leaves plenty of time for me to do proper research to help avoid some of the beginner problems and headaches.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back