13.5 Fluval Evo Build Thread: Mixed Reef (Photo Heavy!)

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0691.jpeg
IMG_0693.jpeg
IMG_0671.jpeg

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as I love RFAs I think Maxi Minis could be one of the most amazing looking specimens in the hobby. It’s incredible to think one can have a tiny multi colored carpet anemone in their nano tank. I got a second one a couple months ago and finally get to show it off!

I swear I remember in the hobby ten years ago RFAs were tough to find and these were far more in abundance. Now they’re tough to find and quite expensive.

IMG_9564.jpeg

(No Contrast)
IMG_9561.jpeg
This might be the only maxi mini I like more than my own. It's at least close lol

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be the only maxi mini I like more than my own. It's at least close lol
I literally just took a video an hour ago and sent it to the LFS store owner saying this is the nicest Maxi Mini I have ever seen. I got it for $20! It is in the back of the 5 gallon reef bowl, but doing very well. Can't get a any photo of it, but can get a decent video. Half of it is covered up by another maxi mini. They seem to like cuddling up together I have about 10 total in 2/3 tanks.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally just took a video an hour ago and sent it to the LFS store owner saying this is the nicest Maxi Mini I have ever seen. I got it for $20! It is in the back of the 5 gallon reef bowl, but doing very well. Can't get a any photo of it, but can get a decent video. Half of it is covered up by another maxi mini. They seem to like cuddling up together I have about 10 total in 2/3 tanks.
Here's my favorite of the 2 I have. Green edge with burgundy that shifts to yellow as it goes in and little lines all over it. Would look better in more white, but the anemones and fluorescent softies would look a lot worse.
1000004324.jpg

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my favorite of the 2 I have. Green edge with burgundy that shifts to yellow as it goes in and little lines all over it. Would look better in more white, but the anemones and fluorescent softies would look a lot worse.
1000004324.jpg
Dang that is super pretty! I kind of think the opposite though. Just judging from your photo it seems you have a decent amount of whites in whatever lights you are running. Are those t5s? Under heavier blues/purples that would look insane, and would potentially color up more over time. Their ability to change with the lights they are under is remarkable. You have a keeper there for sure! It looks more like the one I had a bit ago on the lower section of page 10 here. That was my favorite until sadly it passed away during my last tank crash. The Evo is still recovering from this which is why I have not posted any photos for a bit. The one in the bowl is about 2"-3.5" when opened fully.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang that is super pretty! I kind of think the opposite though. Just judging from your photo it seems you have a decent amount of whites in whatever lights you are running. Are those t5s? Under heavier blues/purples that would look insane, and would potentially color up more over time. Their ability to change with the lights they are under is remarkable. You have a keeper there for sure! It looks more like the one I had a bit ago on the lower section of page 10 here. That was my favorite until sadly it passed away during my last tank crash. The Evo is still recovering from this which is why I have not posted any photos for a bit. The one in the bowl is about 2"-3.5" when opened fully.
It's good that you're recovering. I had a devasting crash after a massive power outage almost 2 years ago now after an outage. Was gutting. Lost 2 beautiful maxi minis, and pretty much all my livestock. The only things I still have from the before times are a probably 8ish year old ywg (had him for like 6 1/2 years and was full grown when got him) and a toadstool I've had since it was the size of a nickel. Hope your tank keeps improving again. Looks like it was a real beauty. Would love to see more of it. We have similar tastes in coral. Motivational pics of the toadstool and watchman goby included!
1000004943.jpg
1000004148.jpg
1000004754.jpg

I run 2 blue+ t5s and then 2 black box leds at like 50% blues 30% whites. I like it pretty white since the tank is mostly softies, but it's not metal halide white.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's good that you're recovering. I had a devasting crash after a massive power outage almost 2 years ago now after an outage. Was gutting. Lost 2 beautiful maxi minis, and pretty much all my livestock. The only things I still have from the before times are a probably 8ish year old ywg (had him for like 6 1/2 years and was full grown when got him) and a toadstool I've had since it was the size of a nickel. Hope your tank keeps improving again. Looks like it was a real beauty. Would love to see more of it. We have similar tastes in coral. Motivational pics of the toadstool and watchman goby included!
1000004943.jpg
1000004148.jpg
1000004754.jpg

I run 2 blue+ t5s and then 2 black box leds at like 50% blues 30% whites. I like it pretty white since the tank is mostly softies, but it's not metal halide white.
Thank you! It is looking much better recently, and I will be posting more photos soon. YWG are one of my favorite fish! I worked at a LFS and they had one near 10 years old that was like 4-5". I always wanted one, but knew it would get to big for my little Evo which is my largest tank.

I will be honest I am super jelous of that warpaint goby. I have always loved them also, but any time I try one it does not live past a few months.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! It is looking much better recently, and I will be posting more photos soon. YWG are one of my favorite fish! I worked at a LFS and they had one near 10 years old that was like 4-5". I always wanted one, but knew it would get to big for my little Evo which is my largest tank.

I will be honest I am super jelous of that warpaint goby. I have always loved them also, but any time I try one it does not live past a few months.
It is the closest thing to an impulse purchase in the tank. I rarely lose new additions, but I tried and failed with 2 clown gobies in the 4ish years before my crash. Neither ate well and neither thrived. Swore them off. I was at the store buying inverts and she was just eating up a storm in the tank and swimming around happily like they almost never do when they come in. Was a long shot, way too small for my other fish, but she thrived. Refused to get bullied, ate like a champ, and now lives 100% of her life on that toadstool or sleeping wedged under it with nobody giving her guff.

Also I know she's a she because she was confused for the first few months in the tank and periodically laid eggs on the base of the toadstool. Doesn't these days seems to have wised up that there's no partner haha

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the closest thing to an impulse purchase in the tank. I rarely lose new additions, but I tried and failed with 2 clown gobies in the 4ish years before my crash. Neither ate well and neither thrived. Swore them off. I was at the store buying inverts and she was just eating up a storm in the tank and swimming around happily like they almost never do when they come in. Was a long shot, way too small for my other fish, but she thrived. Refused to get bullied, ate like a champ, and now lives 100% of her life on that toadstool or sleeping wedged under it with nobody giving her guff.

Also I know she's a she because she was confused for the first few months in the tank and periodically laid eggs on the base of the toadstool. Doesn't these days seems to have wised up that there's no partner haha
Wow! I hope I find one like that one day! The ones I had were exactly how you were describing (dont eat well). What a cool story. Cleary it is happy.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I hope I find one like that one day! The ones I had were exactly how you were describing (dont eat well). What a cool story. Cleary it is happy.
If you ever see one eating happily at the store and personable I say go for it. Fun fact they can live over 10 years! Kinda funny for a creature that is essentially the Thompsons gazelle of the reef lol

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a couple good photos of the rainbow RFA today. Mr. Krabs just molted so I thought it would be a good time. This RFA has been with me through thick and thin. Hasn’t even moved one time in like 3 years since I’ve had it including a big crash.
IMG_2121.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Button Scoly I got at last years frag swap is doing well. It seems to like being up in the rocks a lot more than the sandbed. Any time I turn the pumps off for photos it thinks it is being fed
IMG_2180.jpeg
IMG_2159.jpeg
IMG_2161.jpeg

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is still recovering from the crash, but I finally feel a little comfortable taking a full tank shot again. Some of the zoas are still recovering, and sadly the larger scoly is definitely a goner along with a couple other pieces, but everything else is near back to full health.

I need to do some reordering / selling I have frags everywhere. Here’s a few shots with orphek filter / no filter.
IMG_2170.jpeg
IMG_2184.jpeg
IMG_2185.jpeg

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Helfrichi Firefish has really gotten comfortable! It doesn’t even swim away when I’m doing tank maintenance. I will be honest it is a bit of a bully which is surprising! I want to add another possum wrasse since I lost the last one but I think anything I add the Helfrichi will bully badly.
IMG_2223.jpeg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 58 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back