2 Hour DOA... What is wrong with this forum

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been noticing a trend (more like a tradition) in the marketplace that people sell their corals and fish with a 2 hour or so DOA (Dead on Arrival) now as I look at this I started to wonder... what the heck does that mean. Does it mean if your coral comes bleached, which doesn’t happen in such a short time, the guy will give you a refund. Or does it mean that a fish that comes breathing heavily and upside down will not be refunded. The logic in this is that NO There is no insurance for the buyer not only will your coral coral come slightly alive but will die in the next hour but that’s not a sellers fault... RIGHT. When I look at someone selling a master torch or OG torch for 1500$ and on the bottom it says standard 2 hour DOA. Not only does that mean that they won’t ensure that it survives after getting to your house but if you don’t report it within 2 HOURS of arriving he won’t refund you either. Now this hasn’t happened to me but the thought someone could be so obnoxious and rude to do something like this to this community hurts my soul. If you are confident that your coral is healthy and are a responsible seller selling something rare and of great value, is it not your obligation to discuss with your buyer if his tanks ready and then if so Insure your product for at least 24 hours after arrival (and even that’s pushing it)

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the seller isn't near me I would not take the risk anyways. I've ordered live stock fish/coral/algae from various places. Out of 6 orders I've had to contact their customer service to replace or refund something that died twice. Both of these cases are the shipping company being late. Luckily all of these places offer great guarantees and replaced or refunded my purchase quickly.

They accept the risk. Personal sellers have much more incentive to put that risk on the buyer. I'm not saying either or is right, but if I'm going to sell something worth $1500 and someone is willing to accept the risk and buy it, would I be better off selling it to them as is or offering a guarantee? It's a fuzzy area.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
As with larger shippers. most mean that you " must make claim within 2 hours of arrival, if something arrives dead or dying ".

Last edited:

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are confident that your coral is healthy and are a responsible seller selling something rare and of great value, is it not your obligation to discuss with your buyer if his tanks ready and then if so Insure your product for at least 24 hours after arrival (and even that’s pushing it)
2hrs does seem a bit too short imo but it's also not the sellers responsibility to find out if your tank is ready and then trust your answer enough to gamble $1500. How often do we see brand new reefers on here asking why all of their corals and nems are melting? And their parameters are perfect!...... Should the lfs always take the loss on those corals and nems?

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the risk we take to get the coral, fish and inverts we want. I can understand the 2 hour window is small, but it's better than nothing. With living creatures it's always going to be high risk shipping and receiving.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 hours is nothing. Especially for a living animal that you have never seen with your eyes. I will never take that risk again, not worth it.
Then you limit your options, but it is always best to try and get them closer to home, all of my coral stock came from local reefers, with the exception of a free mushroom frag.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a euphyllia arrive looking bad but alive and let the seller know. The water in the bag was cloudy so I took pics of that and pics of it once it was in the tank (could see recession). I let them know right away, with in the 2 hours. He said it looked bad and to keep him updated. It mostly dead by the next day and they refunded me.

It just depends on the seller. I find the ones that move a lot of corals and have good pictures (not just top downs but show the skeleton too) to stand behind their stuff. If it gets damaged in shipping, do not wait to see if it pulls through, let them know ASAP. Then you have documentation that it was not your fault.

reefer_87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two corals miraculously survive a 7 day delay in the peak of summer. Never ask for usps shipping from a ebay vendor. Not the most thriving members but respect them for surviving 6 months and showing some growth. After that its predominantly local pick up. Luckily cherry corals are half hour from my place.

Bnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you limit your options, but it is always best to try and get them closer to home, all of my coral stock came from local reefers, with the exception of a free mushroom frag.
I would rather have living limited option than expensive skeletons. I've been burned in the marketplace too many times to buy from there. Bad apples ruin the pie

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been noticing a trend (more like a tradition) in the marketplace that people sell their corals and fish with a 2 hour or so DOA (Dead on Arrival) now as I look at this I started to wonder... what the heck does that mean. Does it mean if your coral comes bleached, which doesn’t happen in such a short time, the guy will give you a refund. Or does it mean that a fish that comes breathing heavily and upside down will not be refunded. The logic in this is that NO There is no insurance for the buyer not only will your coral coral come slightly alive but will die in the next hour but that’s not a sellers fault... RIGHT. When I look at someone selling a master torch or OG torch for 1500$ and on the bottom it says standard 2 hour DOA. Not only does that mean that they won’t ensure that it survives after getting to your house but if you don’t report it within 2 HOURS of arriving he won’t refund you either. Now this hasn’t happened to me but the thought someone could be so obnoxious and rude to do something like this to this community hurts my soul. If you are confident that your coral is healthy and are a responsible seller selling something rare and of great value, is it not your obligation to discuss with your buyer if his tanks ready and then if so Insure your product for at least 24 hours after arrival (and even that’s pushing it)

think about it, it’s a forum and sellers have zero legal basis to enforce a doa policy without a written and executed contract. So you can always file a claim regardless of a non enforceable doa policy from any vendor or person.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont like it?
Dont buy it......order from a vendor lol.

Filing claims with credit card companies on a piece of coral that dies long after recieving is pretty childish.

Luckly MOST of my buyers dont need refunds and are repeat customers :)

Its all about establishing trust.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I refuse to buy from any seller with such a poor policy. Not worth the risk!
Some private sellers ive bought from have 1 hour doas.
But their packaging is more quality than what ive recieved from some highly reputible vendors.

Its just to help keep the honest people honest really.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 57 40.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back