2 new lionfish

kenand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 lionfish for the 180 gallon tank. They just came into my local store. My question is what is the best way to get them to eat frozen food? Thanks in advance.

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish line, type a piece of shrimp or whatever to it and move it with the fishing line, worked pretty well for me

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a dwarf lion and it worked pretty well

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dwarf fuzzy and a volitan. My dwarf fuzzy I can hand feed, she will take it right out of my hand. My volitan I take a piece of food and get her attention then drop it so it floats in front of her. She gulps it right up! You just have to figure our if they will take big chunks from you or if yiu need to start with a live diet and then slowly transition them. What were they eating in the store?

OP
OP
K

kenand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dwarf fuzzy and a volitan. My dwarf fuzzy I can hand feed, she will take it right out of my hand. My volitan I take a piece of food and get her attention then drop it so it floats in front of her. She gulps it right up! You just have to figure our if they will take big chunks from you or if yiu need to start with a live diet and then slowly transition them. What were they eating in the store?
I bought them the same day they came in. I did buy some live shrimp to feed them the 1st night I had them.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought them the same day they came in. I did buy some live shrimp to feed them the 1st night I had them.
Ah gotcha! Yeah you will probably need to work with them to eat frozen foods. Both mine do with no issues

Fred A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah gotcha! Yeah you will probably need to work with them to eat frozen foods. Both mine do with no issues
I've had a handful of volitans over the years. Got them to eat frozen by dropping krill in front of them, or silverside heads. Eventually they eat whole silversides, krill and supermarket raw shrimp. My most fussy eater started with pellets! Then eventually accepted the frozen stuff.

OP
OP
K

kenand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a handful of volitans over the years. Got them to eat frozen by dropping krill in front of them, or silverside heads. Eventually they eat whole silversides, krill and supermarket raw shrimp. My most fussy eater started with pellets! Then eventually accepted the frozen stuff.
Thank you for your advice. I'll try it.

OP
OP
K

kenand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went and bought ghost shrimp a krill. The guy said to mix the krill and ghost shrimp together. The seemed to only eat the ghost shrimp. Only had tge lionfish fir a couple of days. I assume no reason to worry?

Fred A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went and bought ghost shrimp a krill. The guy said to mix the krill and ghost shrimp together. The seemed to only eat the ghost shrimp. Only had tge lionfish fir a couple of days. I assume no reason to worry?
Ideally you like to get lions that are already eating frozen at the store but it's too late for that. I've never fed live to my lions once in my tank, only the frozen krill silversides or grocery store frozen shrimp. I've had it take over two weeks before the guys eventually eat the frozen, (by the way, you let it thaw first, right?) although some would eat it after a few days. If they go 3 weeks could be a problem. In the 20 years I've been keeping them only once did one never eat; he didn't make it. But the other 4 or 5 always started eating no later than 2 weeks, and like I said, one even started eating pellets before accepting the frozen. I know it gets stressful, but I wouldn't be too worried right now. They're so cute!

OP
OP
K

kenand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally you like to get lions that are already eating frozen at the store but it's too late for that. I've never fed live to my lions once in my tank, only the frozen krill silversides or grocery store frozen shrimp. I've had it take over two weeks before the guys eventually eat the frozen, (by the way, you let it thaw first, right?) although some would eat it after a few days. If they go 3 weeks could be a problem. In the 20 years I've been keeping them only once did one never eat; he didn't make it. But the other 4 or 5 always started eating no later than 2 weeks, and like I said, one even started eating pellets before accepting the frozen. I know it gets stressful, but I wouldn't be too worried right now. They're so cute!
I do let it thaw. From here on out I won't do anything live. I did but the medley seafood package(frozen). Tried that today,but they didn't touch it.

Fred A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do let it thaw. From here on out I won't do anything live. I did but the medley seafood package(frozen). Tried that today,but they didn't touch it.
I don't recall the medley package, but you want to feed them food that looks closest to what they would see in the ocean. Krill and silversides come straight from the sea with no alteration. See if that works, and it could take numerous feeding attempts over the weeks before they're hungry enough to finally go for it. Once they do they won't stop!

OP
OP
K

kenand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do i thaw the krill and just toss it in the tank or use the tongs in front of them?

OP
OP
K

kenand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't recall the medley package, but you want to feed them food that looks closest to what they would see in the ocean. Krill and silversides come straight from the sea with no alteration. See if that works, and it could take numerous feeding attempts over the weeks before they're hungry enough to finally go for it. Once they do they won't stop!
Can I thaw the krill and toss it in the tank, or should I use the tongs with the krill in front of them?

Fred A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I thaw the krill and toss it in the tank, or should I use the tongs with the krill in front of them?
Sometimes krill just floats on the surface so I would lower them into the water with tongs, just don't scare the lions. Try some silverside heads or an entire silverside if small enough, too. If whole silverside, squeeze the belly to pop their air bladder, otherwise they might float too, you want them to sink toward the lions. Thaw both krill and silvers.

OP
OP
K

kenand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes krill just floats on the surface so I would lower them into the water with tongs, just don't scare the lions. Try some silverside heads or an entire silverside if small enough, too. If whole silverside, squeeze the belly to pop their air bladder, otherwise they might float too, you want them to sink toward the lions. Thaw both krill and silvers.
Ok. Thank you. I'll keep you posted.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back