28 Gallon Deep Blue Rimless SPS Reef

childress5tyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
After ~3 years off from the hobby I have had an itching to get back in and start a new reef tank. I wanted to start this thread to organize my thoughts and to track my progress throughout the life of this reef. Now through May I will be organizing the startup and planning out the structure, etc. I will not be putting water into the tank until May because this is my anticipated move month, so I'd rather not start it up and have to tear it back down 5 months later. As mentioned in the title, the aquarium will be a 28 gallon Deep Blue rimless aquarium with a focus on SPS coral. My tentative plan is to have the following:
-6 acropora colonies (Considering: Red Planet Acro, Strawberry Shortcake Acro, PC Rainbow Acro, and MANY more; need to brush up on the new acro names out there)
-3 millepora colonies (Undecided, need to familiarize myself with the different milleporas out there)
-3 encrusting montipora colonies (Considering: JF Aquaman Monti, Rainbow Monti, and Sunset Monti)
-2 plating montipora colonies (Considering: Sunburst Monti Cap and a Grafted Monti Cap)
-4 undecided colonies (potentially a stag, pocillopora, bird’s nest, stylopora, etc).
Aside from the SPS coral, I would like for the showpiece of the reef to be a nice 4-5" maxima clam. Regarding fish, currently I only plan to add two designer clowns (possibly onyx clowns). Below is a list of the equipment that I have either decided on or am debating:

- Light: AI Prime Hydra 26 HD
- Sump: ICECAP 15
- Skimmer: CAD Light PLS-100
- Return Pump: Possibly Quiet One Lifeguard 317 GPH
- Powerhead: 1x MP10 Vortech Pump
- Salt: Undecided (Considering RSCP, but am afraid of the high alkalinity, looking into other options)
- ATO: Tunze Nano Osmolator
- Dosing: Auto Dosing B-Ionic Ca/kH/Mag and Phytoplankton (Undecided on dosing pump, not wanting to spend an insane amount on one)

I'm wanting my tank to be fairly clean and simple; not a ton of rock, but just enough to allow the coral to grow and cover, but also giving enough free space for them to grow. I've considered purchasing the dry, man-made rock and curing it in a friend’s tank over the next few months or spending the extra money to buy live, cured rock. I’ve also been doing a lot of browsing regarding bare-bottom tanks. Given the fact that I plan to have ~18 4-6” colonies in such a small tank, I plan to utilize every square inch that I possibly can (growing colonies on the walls, bottom glass, and overflow). I’ve not completely decided on this decision yet however I’ve seen a lot of cool reefs out there that are persuading me to lean that way. Additionally, with no sand I’ll be able to maximize flow without causing debris to fly around.

These are my thoughts regarding the reef so far, please feel free to comment on any suggestions, questions, or comments that you may have. I'm looking forward to this build and hope you get some enjoyment by following along

OP
OP
childress5tyler

childress5tyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought the stand, tank, skimmer, and sump today. Currently have the custom stand in skimmer, waiting on the sump and tank to arrive. Next step will be to buy either the MP10 or Hydra 26HD (have some time to do so, since the tank is going up in May/June).

OP
OP
childress5tyler

childress5tyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be priming and painting this stand this week. I'd like to install a small shelf to hold the dosing pump.

I plan to modify the sump when I get it. The sump has a 1 gallon ATO reservoir that I plan to partition off into 3 sections. Within these three sections I'll put my calcium, alk, and mag solutions; with the dosing pump right above it. I'm trying to avoid having bottles outside of the stand.

IMG_4257.JPG

IMG_4258.JPG

surfnsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great so far! Jebao dosing pumps are great as far as prices go. Been very happy with my 4 pump one that I got for 70$. Just follow the calibration and instructions.

OP
OP
childress5tyler

childress5tyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great so far! Jebao dosing pumps are great as far as prices go. Been very happy with my 4 pump one that I got for 70$. Just follow the calibration and instructions.

Thanks! I've heard their quality is pretty good so I'm looking forward to it.

surfnsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't here it with the cabinet door closed and my tank running so I'd say quiet enough. I'm sure there are more quiet ones but for the price I don't hear it enough to change it.

OP
OP
childress5tyler

childress5tyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't here it with the cabinet door closed and my tank running so I'd say quiet enough. I'm sure there are more quiet ones but for the price I don't hear it enough to change it.
That is great to hear. As long as it is quiet and works, I'm a go!

OP
OP
childress5tyler

childress5tyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potentially looking into running a Zeovit system - only have of my skimmer chamber is taken up by the skimmer so this should allow enough room for a 1.5 liter Zeovit system. I've really never seen a Zeo system that has looked bad - given the size of the tank, my main goal will be for awesome color and moderate growth, instead of awesome growth. Please feel free to give any input on the system; including the amount of work per week, cost per month, tips on getting started, which bottles to dose for SPS, etc!

OP
OP
childress5tyler

childress5tyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Designed this "Reef Tank Diary Log" during a slow day at work. Feel free to use it if you'd like!

I've painted the first coat on my stand and will wrap that up tonight. The white looks really great!

Attachments

• Reef Tank Diary Log.pdf
    254.6 KB · Views: 154
OP
OP
childress5tyler

childress5tyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picking up the tank and sump tonight! The stand should also be 100% painted also, will post pictures later on in the day!

My next step with the stand will be to install a dosing pump shelve and customize the interior

OP
OP
childress5tyler

childress5tyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your plan for auto dosing phytoplankton?

Not entirely sure yet, may auto dose AcroPower instead. Hard to tell now while not really knowing what the tank will need. If I do end up dosing either of these two, I'll most likely just manually dose it.

Ds04384

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not entirely sure yet, may auto dose AcroPower instead. Hard to tell now while not really knowing what the tank will need. If I do end up dosing either of these two, I'll most likely just manually dose it.

Ah ok, I was interested if you had come up with a cleaver way to autodose them since they require mixing, refrigeration, etc

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking stand! Any pics of the build of it?

Also since you don't want to use much rock will you be using any media (siporax,etc.)? I have a 25-30 gallon DBP myself with no rock that I run Siporax on and Acros seem pretty happy with it.

OP
OP
childress5tyler

childress5tyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking stand! Any pics of the build of it?

Also since you don't want to use much rock will you be using any media (siporax,etc.)? I have a 25-30 gallon DBP myself with no rock that I run Siporax on and Acros seem pretty happy with it.

No, I don't plan to use that. My filtration system will be 20 pounds of live rock with the skimmer, gfo/carbon, and macro (if I can find a way to work that out).

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 44 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back